Boot not locking? Here's how to fix it...

This happened to me, and I've seen a couple other people posting asking how to fix it. There are a couple of threads with the solution but none as an actual "guide" so anyway... The Dummies guide to fixing a boot which doesn't lock:

===============================================================

Problem Symptoms:
  • Boot doesn't lock with Remote central locking
  • Key doesn't turn in boot lock

Problem Cause:
  • Water getting into boot mechanism from heavy rain or washing the car (well in my case and a few others I've read)

Equipment Needed:
  • WD40 or similar lubricant
  • Philips Screwdriver
  • Rag (just to catch any WD40)

equipment.jpg

Solution:
  • Open boot lid and remove plastic covers.

bootfascia.jpg

closeup.jpg

• Remove the three screws and pull the boot fascia close to the 2 clips to remove it
  • The boot release solenoid whould be in a state like this:

solenoidopen.jpg

• Spray some WD40 around the plunger holding the rag close to catch drips
  • Place the screwdriver at the end of solenoid and forcefully tap it to return it to it's "closed" position:

solenoidclosed.jpg

• Open and close the car using the remote central locking a few times spraying WD40 as you go to lubricate the mechanism
  • Job Done -- Put the boot fascia on as you took it off

===============================================================

Hope that helps.

Adrian

Last edited:

graham22

I'll try & add a bit more if the above does not get things working.

The solenoid can be removed & taken apart. To do this you will see two hex type heads poking through the solenoid, these are the ends of the screws holding this to the body, use some small adjustables or pliers and turn these clockwise. Will only need a turn as the screw is a coarse self tapping thread and the heads are in slots in the car bootlid.

Once the screws are slackened off, the solenoid can be removed & the rod popped out of the lock/handle.

Unplug the electrical connector & take the solenoid to a bench - it can be carefully prised apart & you'll see a small motor similar to a Scalextric car motor which turns a wheel lifting & lowering the actuator.

It's worth greasing this up to help take the strain off the motor otherwise the little motor eventually gives up.

When mine failled, I wired a test bulb into the plug on the car & this lit each time the central locking was locked/unlocked (I would guess it would give +'ve and -'ve readings on a multi-meter. The motor wouldn't work when wired direct to a battery.

If replacenent is required, it's a VAG part, part no 1M0959781A, £12.23 at the time of posting.

ashgtiturbo

Jun 23, 2009
the motor now works perfectly! only problem i had was that the previous owner had removed or lost the connecting rod so i had to make my own, but it now works perfectly so i am happy!!

Jotag

this was hreat having to constantly open/close the boot manually was annoying sometimes.

fantastic guide :worship:

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
Thanks to David at Sere Motors, I got a new solenoid, fitted it and now my boot locks again. Leon solenoid is £29.28 inc.VAT and the part number is 1M6862159C.

In mine the part number is 1M6862159A, this is printed on the white box. Is this the complete solenoid?

phil118

My boot refused to shut twice, then it would not open again! Followed the advice given here as close as possible (found only two screws on boot panel) but could find no sign of any retaining clips. Took the car to my local garage and they could not remove the panel either and finally had to cut out a piece to get to the lock. Cost me £35.

knightrider1986

May 26, 2011
might give this a go in the morning when i finish work. been meaning to do it for ages but just never got round to it.