sub and amp install (now updating to include full Amped speakers too!!)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
brilliant guide cheers!
i followed the sub/amp install guide but hooked up my 6x9s to the amp instead but now i have some whining and clicking noises!
all the stuff i've used if cheap low quality stuff and i haven't earthed the converter would this be why im getting the noises? or it could be the amps a bit dodgy :confused: any ideas would be appreciated!

thats whining clicking noise is interference from the power in the car.

what converters have you used ? also what phone leads have you used ?

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Adam, followed your guide and all working now, cheers mate!

great :) :funk:. nice to see the guide working for other people.

so far i have only been blamed for 'destroying' 2 peoples cars...

1 of them was a loose ribbon cable on the back of the facia plate :doh:
and the other was a poor earth some one bodged :doh:

you know who you are ;)

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
great :) :funk:. nice to see the guide working for other people.

so far i have only been blamed for 'destroying' 2 peoples cars...

1 of them was a loose ribbon cable on the back of the facia plate :doh:
and the other was a poor earth some one bodged :doh:

you know who you are ;)

Lol. Worked on mine too :D Ta adam, I know now how much of a star you are :cartman:

willFE51

i used an autoleads one i bought from halfords for £25 pretty much the same as the one u have used on ur guide. didnt use and phono leads as amp is in the boot so the convertor goes straight into the amp, o yer also when i put the volume up it makes a bad low pop noise, i think maybe its the speakers peaking as i have a 600w amp hooked to 2 300w speakers that are 60w rms?
great guide though, was exactly what i was looking for!

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i used an autoleads one i bought from halfords for £25 pretty much the same as the one u have used on ur guide. didnt use and phono leads as amp is in the boot so the convertor goes straight into the amp, o yer also when i put the volume up it makes a bad low pop noise, i think maybe its the speakers peaking as i have a 600w amp hooked to 2 300w speakers that are 60w rms?
great guide though, was exactly what i was looking for!

my dear god your post was hard to read.

please can you re-write it that whole post!

:cartman: LMAO
when you put the volume up and it goes 'POP' that is a typical crap earth, again where did you earth the amp to ?

also your amp may be 600w BUT

300w per chanel but i doubt that is true.

600w -> 'True 'RMS = 600 * 0.707
'True' RMS is 424.2.

per channel = 212.1 WRMS. BUT depending on the make of your amp this will differ massivly.... EG

a crap cheap amp will probably say 600w but thats probably peak. so to get normal W its normally around 2/3 - 1/2 of that real value , even less in some uber cheap ones.

so your looking at 300w normall opperating. 150w per channel, so your looking about 100Wrms. and thats looking at the 'true' rms values , not what the amp will be pushing out.

so in reality i recon your getting about 95wrms out of the amp per channel. (if its a cheap amp)

willFE51

sorry im really new to tryin to install anything in my car, so i have no idea about any of it!
i got the amp free of a mate its a sony xplode one so i guess thats half decent.
i earthed to the rear seat belt bolt as this seemed easied to run the wire to.
which bit in the last post did i make unclear?
cheers for all your help again :help:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Have just read all your rexplanations - seems pretty useful.. Im about to dive into the process of re wiring my 2 amps with new speaker cable, shamefully im just tapping into the old crap which was already there..

I have not used all these phono leads n that, it seemed a bit too much like hard work wiring all those fat wires around.. I used the speaker level inputs on the amps...

Although my install is messy!!!!! as my budget got blown soon as i bought the speakers, and I got a variety of different things in there which looks ugly to say the least... lol:) although its working atleast.. :)

Last edited:

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
hey adam it'd be nice to see where your amp/sub and cd changer are all sat in the boot and what not..

dont have the car anymore so i cant, but i had it setup like this:

cd changer, left hand side against wheel arch

4ch amp was velcro'd to the right hand side passanger seat (the back of it of course!)
the sub was on the right, pointing left and up and the amp for the sub was on the floor of the boot holding the sub box inplace.

a bit ghetto yes but it worked very well :)

all power signal etc came through the hole where the rear bench is attached (where the 60/40 split is :)

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Nice.. I currently have the two amps rammed on the back of the sub box for convienience because I have to take the sub in and out quite alot..

Ill take a few pictures some time aslong as people know its a practical install for me, because it doesnt look great, I should be using Vibe Amp/Box Quick Release Plugs I think :D

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Nice.. I currently have the two amps rammed on the back of the sub box for convienience because I have to take the sub in and out quite alot..

Ill take a few pictures some time aslong as people know its a practical install for me, because it doesnt look great, I should be using Vibe Amp/Box Quick Release Plugs I think :D

well thats why i velcroed my 4ch amp on the back on the seat because it was out the way and i could not remove it,

removing the sub and amp was a 5 second job thanks to my ingenious design.

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Mine maybe slightly different, I have 6x9s in the parcel shelf. So, I want them to keep going even when the sub and amps have gone, one amp is for the 6x9s so needs to be connected and disconnected when i like.. I gotta spend money to make it look nice..

Taking everything out is fine, just whip out that bloody 12inch sub! Its heavy little thing especially with amps on the back of it.. I am thinking of changing to velcro the amps to the back seats, only because it would look neater, but would have to give it a try and see how practical it is..

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
when i first got my car i put 6x9's in it.. very very chav, so removed them promptly and got a decent set of front speakers and a decent sub..

good ol JL Audio.

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Yea, its pretty chav - although they're in and it works nicely, cant take em out now - the sub would just kill everything and I am not sure how much money im about to get..

I am looking for a front set of speakers though...

Was thinking-- Focal: 165A1 - 16.5cm components..
Or maybe these-- Alpine: SPR-17S - 16.5cm components. (Already have the type r 6x9s and the type r sub)

Any idea if these are good at all? Maybe I should wait untill Alpine bring out their new range in a couple of months or so??...

(Another amp would most likely have to be bought for these speakers too, open to suggestions front anyone on that aswell!)

Edit: Many typos

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi Adam, Just bought a sub and looking forward to following your guide and installing. Just a quick question - I've bought infinity basslink X Sub which will accept High Level Speaker input. The sub description states: "If using the speaker-level inputs, an audio-sense circuit will turn on the amplifier whenever a signal is present." Does this mean I do not need a remote turn on lead? Thanks.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Hi Adam, Just bought a sub and looking forward to following your guide and installing. Just a quick question - I've bought infinity basslink X Sub which will accept High Level Speaker input. The sub description states: "If using the speaker-level inputs, an audio-sense circuit will turn on the amplifier whenever a signal is present." Does this mean I do not need a remote turn on lead? Thanks.

i would guess so yes. so if you are just running that 1 amp for your sub then you wont need a REM. by the sounds of it you wont need any RCA converters / lines either.

just use your rear speaker inputs and go to the sub that way.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Yea, its pretty chav - although they're in and it works nicely, cant take em out now - the sub would just kill everything and I am not sure how much money im about to get..

I am looking for a front set of speakers though...

Was thinking-- Focal: 165A1 - 16.5cm components..
Or maybe these-- Alpine: SPR-17S - 16.5cm components. (Already have the type r 6x9s and the type r sub)

Any idea if these are good at all? Maybe I should wait untill Alpine bring out their new range in a couple of months or so??...

(Another amp would most likely have to be bought for these speakers too, open to suggestions front anyone on that aswell!)

Edit: Many typos

i know it is a very late reply BUT.....

im not a fan of alpine type R stuff... load of over hyped crap IMHO. buy decent stuff like focal, JL audio , RE, rockford .. etc etc... they may be more pricey but my £100 sub from JL audio kicks the pants off a much more expensive alpine type R sub.
in the specs my sub may appear less appealing but the sound and db levels that are produced is quite amazing for such a 'cheap' sub.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.