Engine Cleaning

wilky87

Apr 11, 2009
Hey guys, basically my engine is absolutly pitted. I had a daft hour hour cleaning it up earlier, it needs a hell of alot of work which i am going to do. Big improvement after only 30 mins of cleaning with just water and wd40, cant wait till the weekend to spend a good day on it, any tips would be massively appriciated :D

img0170u.jpg

And after only 30 mins with no cleaning products [B)]
img0172ji.jpg

Last edited:

fellowsuk

Apr 2, 2008
Sunny Wolverhampton!
good job mate with just wd40. get some degreaser,loadsa different makes out there, megs do a good one. cover any electrics and your alternator with clingfilm n use a pressure washer,not to powerfull tho.

wilky87

Apr 11, 2009
thnx buddy, was also abit worried about getting water into where the timing belt is

Kelly Baker

Any further update, would be interested to see how it turned out with more time.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
As above, get some sort of degreaser / cleaner and a dressing product.

I use Meguiars APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and Chemical Guys Bare Bones for dressing.

Here's a shot of mine after 10 minutes work (granted its a 59 plate car so was THAT dirty in the first place).

Before:
DSCF0579.jpg

After:
DSCF0587.jpg

You can use a jetwash on a wide angle spray pattern but dont direct the spray straight at the engine, sort of aim over it... Give the whole engine compartment a good soaking with a degreaser or cleaner the use detail brushes to aggitate the product in... leave for a few minutes and then with the engine running rinse (i dont cover anything up but thats a risk i am happy taking). shut the bonnet and let the engine idle for 10 minutes then dry off any remaining water. Lastly liberally cover the entire compartment with the dressing product and then shut the bonnet and leave it. Come back a couple of hours later and buff off any remaining product with a MF cloth.

Last edited:

Prestigechris

Mar 14, 2017
Autoglym instant tyre dressing sprayed all over engine whilst still wet and left to dry works well. Just do it before you wash the car in case of any overspray onto car.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Here's a shot of mine after 10 minutes work (granted its a 59 plate car so was THAT dirty in the first place).

You can use a jetwash on a wide angle spray pattern but dont direct the spray straight at the engine, sort of aim over it... Give the whole engine compartment a good soaking with a degreaser or cleaner the use detail brushes to aggitate the product in... leave for a few minutes and then with the engine running rinse (i dont cover anything up but thats a risk i am happy taking).

WOW! That looks ace! Wish I was brave enough to do mine.

I can give a brilliant tip of what not to do though!!! I wiped the plastic bits over with a damp cloth... dried them. Then applied Autoglym vinyl and rubber over it. Made everything look nice n black ... only... cause I didn't use the degreaser first, I've sealed in about 100 mechanics fingerprints that are now really obvious and shiny! So I just closed the bonnet and left it for another day :D

Seatu

Nov 9, 2017
Is there another source for the photos? Will include Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner and Chemical Guys on my list

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.