New 2.0 tdi 184 choice..

Mmmikey

Jul 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

Not been on here for a while (since I got rid of my FR+ for a newer focus) and I regret it.

Anyway, I'm a few years down the line now and I'm going back to a new Leon in June/July and I'm just wondering what the opinions are on the Xcellence and the FR?

Am I right in thinking that the performance is the same but with the Xcellence, you get more in terms of gadgets? I know the inside of the FR will look more sporty but it seems to me that apart from the steering wheel and red stitching, there's not much that would make you choose the FR. Am I completely wrong?

I also know the suspension will be different but would that affect performance much in everyday driving?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Last edited:

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
imho the excellence looks a bit bland.(not keen on the standard alloys).
don't think there is much difference gadget wise either.
not 100% but I think the wireless phone charger and adaptive cruise is only the difference but I have the wireless charger in my fr anyway.
I think the excellence is more aimed at the business type of person if you know what I mean but that isnt a bad thing.
it depends what you want it for I suppose.
cant comment on the ride as ive only ever drove the fr version and to be honest,even with the 18s on mine it rides better than some of my previous cars with smaller wheels.
cant see the suspension set up making any difference in performance.
good choice on engine,i have the 184 but one thing I will say is that the engine needs time to loosen up.
even after putting 6k on mine It still feels like its still not broke in properly yet.(still a cracker of an engine tho)
welcome back by the way lol!!!

sychnant

Dec 3, 2017
I am due to place my order for an Excellence within a few weeks and as far as i can understand the blurb, the + and - are as follows.. Excellence..+ 1... rear and FRONT parking sensors. 2... Winter pack (heated leather seats, windscreen wash etc.3... Keyless entry..4...variable LED lighting, 5...rear window blinds. Excellence minus- Less sporty front bumper, no drive modes, eco normal sport etc.
As regards the suspension the FR benefits from multilink suspension and bigger disks if the engine is 1.8 or bigger.. However i am not sure if the Excellence would also have the same suspension setup as the FR if ordered with bigger engine.. If Yes i will order the Excellence with 2.0 184ps manual If not I will order excellence with 1.4ecotsi DSG..(similar price on motability.. Hope this helps.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The suspension is different, but if the ride is comfy enough take the FR with it's lower sportier suspension etc.

The Xcellence (there's no E) is the old codgers comfortable version that you will see parked outside the bowling club or a whist drive...

...or leaning over in the bends on its soft springs.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.