leon mk3 184 tdi. what's it like to live with ?

Smeghead

Dec 29, 2017
www.cbafinancials.co.uk
Hi All
Wonder if a few leon mk3 owners would give me some guidance please.
spent most of yesterday wandering round the car dealer with the better half, mainly looking at the golf gtd and leon fr 184.
had expected to like the golf more, but we both preferred the leon! (i drive a mk4 golf atm).
given this, i'm now doing more research on the leon.
can anyone tell me please, what is it like to live with on a day to day basis ?
Many thanks for your help
Chris

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
hi smeghead and welcome.
ive had a 16 plate golf and currently drive the tdi 184 on a 17 plate.
all I can say is that i wish i had looked at the leon before I had the golf.
the leon looks better and overall it was a much better package and a lot cheaper.i have a lot more kit as standard on the leon compared to the golf gt.
don't get me wrong the golf had some very nice touches inside and in places you can tell but in areas where it doesn't matter. the seat imho is a cracking motor and is miles ahead in quality to my previous cars like ford etc!! and I'm not being biast because I own a leon.im forever getting comments on how good the led lights look.i just say to people it has the Spanish flair with german enginnering(I calls mine the FRD)as it uses the gtd engine lol!!!
I'm getting better mpg on my leon(47.7mpg) than I was on my golf tsi 150(38.6mpg) and its quicker too lol!!!

Reactions: AlexOS

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I drive a 184 st dsg and regularly get over 54mpg on a run - drops off quite a bit round town. Its plenty quick enough - the dsg also sets it off as welll

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
You have to consider a few things before buying a diesel over a petrol. Firstly, the FR 184 is some £2000 more than the FR 180 petrol and diesel is the more expensive fuel although the price gap is much narrower now than some years ago - on average, it’s only about 2.5p per litre more as opposed to around 8 - 10 pence some years ago. The main thing to consider though is the mileage and type of driving you’re going to do. If you’re doing a lot of motorway miles, then diesel is best. If, however, you’re doing shorter journeys and more town driving then petrol is better. Diesels, even with their DPFs, are more polluting with higher NOx emissions. Further, if you do lots of town driving with a modern diesel, you’ll end up knackering the DPF. I know a few people who have suffered from this and their replacement costs, if regeneration fails, are the thick end of £800 - £1000. My wife changed jobs a while ago which meant more shorter journeys and more town driving so we bought her an Ibiza FR 1.4 150 ACT petrol to replace her FR TDi 143. Cracking little car which does over 55mpg on a run and no DPF woes around town. I recently had a Golf GTD as a hire car and aside from the massive performance difference between it and my Golf R, I was unimpressed with its mpg in comparison and found the narrow performance band a pain - it really had to be worked in comparison as the R has a massively wide power band. Either way, hope you find the right car for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
the 184 is a good car. Good performance plus 50mpg.

are you doing enough miles to justify the diesel?

Also the Golf might hold onto it's value better. Something to consider.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Brill Car & the 184Tdi is as easy to live with as any other afaik
had mine for nearly 3 years now. long term ave of 54mpg after 20,000miles
aslong as it stays @ £20 roadtax its going nowhere.

PRFR184

Jan 5, 2018
Almost had my fr184tdi a year and love it, big jump from my 2010 Ibiza fr 143 2.0 tdi.
I can be a bit of a hard driver but still get 42mpg, most I've had is 62mpg.
Time for a remap soon, with people getting 210-230 bhp, 450-500nm, would definitely surprise a few people :).

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
A month ago I swapped an Astra GTC 165 diesel for my FR 184 diesel and the difference is staggering. I love it!

The engine is amazingly flexible (into 6th at 45) and I’m getting an indicated 54mpg (actual 52).

I have to use diesel as my commute is 160 miles a day and I love the torquey nature of the engine.

The car is fairly well screwed together and very well equipped (I managed to find a used one with a winter pack).

I can’t really fault it so far and I’ve done 3500 miles in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.