Share your experience of Android-Auto, Apple Carplay, Mirrorlink

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am starting this thread so we can all share first hand experiences and any useful information to do with Android-Auto, Apple Carplay, Mirrorlink (Collectively referred to as Full Link).

When possible include when the car was built, infotainment system details and which feature of Full Link you are referring to specifically.

Share whether or not you have managed to get any feature of Full Link to work, which device was used and any other useful information.

Share things like, how to guides, tutorials, screenshots, videos and links to do with any features of Full Link will be very useful for noobs like myself. :)

All thanks should go to kevster184 as it was his idea to start this thread :)

Last edited:

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
Here is what I have found out so far and is correct to my knowledge.

In earlier models the Navigation System High has the Mirrorlink technology, depending on the date you got the car it would/wouldn't have been activated.

Cars with updated Navigation System have the Full Link Technology and will be installed and activated providing you pay £150 for it when you buy the car.

Earlier models that have Nav System High with genuine Mirrorlink Technology, can be activated via a Seat dealer (requires activation key).

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Hi. What a great idea playerjs! :)

I have one of the last MY2015 cars with Nav High, with Mirror link.

I will as soon as i have a compatible phone help anyone and provide any guides.

So far this is all i have found on it:

https://youtu.be/6ngMZ5hVhNo

Last edited:

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
:rofl: Judging by the floods of post on this thread I am taking that most of us have figured out how to get it working.

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
On a more serious note, I have heard rumours that Mirrorlink is being dumped and there will be no more updates at least for VW's, so this could follow on SEAT's.

There is also a lot of feedback that suggests, Mirrorlink functionality is really poor as it stands. Even navigation apps aren't working soon as the car starts to move off. This seems to be some sort of safety mechanism to stop drivers from being distracted.

Moreover, apps for Full Link have to pass various safety criteria before being made available for use in the market. It seems that we have the technology but now it's being held back. I have a good idea why but obviously the hardline is that it is to stop drivers being distracted and therefore preventing accidents.

Even though manufactures might be hesitant to offer full functionality of certain apps for whatever reasons, this might not be the end of people using certain apps. As there is a lot of Asian companies selling/advertising devices that seem to mirror phones on car's infotainment systems. So unless these are made illegal which will be pretty hard to do, I can see a lot of people doing a DIY job to have improved functionality.

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
SEAT DriveApp and MirrorLink

Whilst I was at the Stealers today having a replacement microphone fitted, I did enquire if any of the staff had an Android phone with the SEAT DriveApp fitted, in case they could show me what the MirrorLink connection would look like on my car.

No one could really help with one guy trying to download the App onto his Apple Phone which of course isn't compatible. Then the Sales Manager intervened and was quite knowledgeable on the subject even citing that the Galaxy S5 is not compatible, even though the MirrorLink website said it was. She said to be patient, as the whole situation is still very much work in progress and not to rush buying a new phone quite yet.

My Navigation handbook does have a couple of pages of instructions for MirrorLink and I'll try and get the pages scanned in and copied onto this thread early next week when back in the office.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
So why include mirror link in the new just lauched full link, is what i'd say to that. navigation that doesn't navigate.... hopefully this topic will help.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
She said to be patient, as the whole situation is still very much work in progress and not to rush buying a new phone quite yet.

My Navigation handbook does have a couple of pages of instructions for MirrorLink and I'll try and get the pages scanned in and copied onto this thread early next week when back in the office.

Exactly this still so new. I don't even have a mention in my handbook, that would be great.!

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
On a more serious note, I have heard rumours that Mirrorlink is being dumped and there will be no more updates at least for VW's, so this could follow on SEAT's.

There is also a lot of feedback that suggests, Mirrorlink functionality is really poor as it stands. Even navigation apps aren't working soon as the car starts to move off. This seems to be some sort of safety mechanism to stop drivers from being distracted.

I sincerely hope that's note the case as MirrorLink was one of the main reasons for going for the £930 Nav High upgrade and so far I'm not aware of anyone successfully connecting to it yet - has all the potential of a white elephant!!

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
Kev I see what you mean, obviously I agree this level of smartphone integration is still a fairly new concept.

But if you watch and believe the videos coming out of the Asian markets it would seem as there should be no problems for big manufactures to offer the same level of functionality for end users. As I alluded to in my last post I feel there is an ulterior motive at play but then again I am very cynical. :blink:

It would be shocking if Mirrorlink was phased out even before it started. As you said Famandy1 a lot of people have spent more money on Nav System High to have the technology. But even if it was not, there definitely seems to be a lot of restrictions being placed on functionality.

Some videos I have seen show functionality and operations are primarily being limited or housed within one app provided either by the car or phone manufacture. So this probably means a limited number of 3rd party apps or none at all will be available in the near future. And even if they are made available I have a feeling due to safety, certain apps will not work when the car is moving.

I hope that I am totally wrong as I think its stupid to restrict the use of any apps. Because the vast majority of people these days are educated enough to know that it's not acceptable to drive whilst using a phone and the same will apply with Full Link technology so what's all the fuss.

Last edited:

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
This is a video of a Skoda Fabia 2015 - Showing Mirrorlink - Features that work, features that don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqnVeyqutE

Hi Playerjs, Some really useful information being shared here, cheers - from the Fabia demo, MirrorLink looks next to useless - might just have to resort to having a good ole fashioned Brodit bracket on the dash and access the phone direct that way, though loving the way that text messages come up on the display and then speak the content to you!

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Hi Playerjs, Some really useful information being shared here, cheers - from the Fabia demo, MirrorLink looks next to useless, though loving the way that text messages come up on the display and then speak the content to you!

Quite limited use then, very confused why google maps doesn't work.

My Nav High unit can read out text messages, you can even write them while in motion. Why would i want to do that is beyond me.

Deputy

Apr 20, 2015
West Yorkshire
My wifes Peugeot 108 has mirrolink and those forums are full of unhappy users. I work with high technology everyday and even I can't get a reliable link to her phone, and the maps has never worked, which was the main reason for wanting it. Peugeots list of supported phones are over 2 years old! I was hoping VAG may have done it better but it doesn't sound like it.

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
Hi Playerjs, Some really useful information being shared here, cheers - from the Fabia demo, MirrorLink looks next to useless - might just have to resort to having a good ole fashioned Brodit bracket on the dash and access the phone direct that way, though loving the way that text messages come up on the display and then speak the content to you!

Haha I don't think its quite that bad... judging by the demo videos posted on youtube by SEAT the App SEAT have produced doesn't look bad. To my knowledge atm it looks like manufactures are trying to stick to basic apps or functions such as enhanced contacts with pictures, social media, email, sms message read/write function, maps, drive information, pictures and music library with album art.

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
I work with high technology everyday and even I can't get a reliable link to her phone, and the maps has never worked, which was the main reason for wanting it.

Hey man, have you tried the Sygic Navigation App with the Mirrorlink in your wife's car. Not sure if Sygic are offering free trial still but apparently it works with any car's infotainment system.

Here is a link showing roughly how it works in a Honda CR-V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moG_l8s4t_0

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members