Cupra 280/290 calipers

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
Hi guys

Newbie here

I have a leon st 184 fr with 18" orista alloys - so standard 312 vented discs front and 272 solid rear

Was looking to get the calipers painted as mine looked aweful but then decided to go all out and picked up some cupra calipers + carriers (340 front and 310 rear) today - yes the ones on ebay.bit late now but Firstly will they fit under the alloys? Secondly I need new pads on the front - any recommendation and ideally a link or part number

From the rest of my research it appears that there is no difference to the master cylinder between the models nor the hand brake cables

Thanks guys

Tristan

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Stock Cupra calipers should fit fine under the 18" wheels if you look at the disc diameter, you MIGHT however need spacers to distance the wheel from the caliper.

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
Cheers for both of those replies - excellent thought about the spacers - mmm that would be a pain if I had fitted the brakes then to find the wheels didn't go back on

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
Ok so - another few eBay steals : genuine new front pads - £55 Inc delivery and genuine used dust shields in nearly new condition - £10 for all four.

Just need to order a new "cupra " caliper cover and then we are ready to go - although I am actually going to sand both caliper covers down to remove the cupra logo and spray them plain red as I am not trying to create a replica. Also planning to spray the centre's and edges of the discs in silver to pretty them up too

Probably a job for one day over christmas to spray it up and fit it

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
Well the fronts went on easy enough but i now have a soft brake pedal despite bleeding it 3 times. Howefull the bite wiĺ improve as it all beds in - might do the rears next weekend and get it into Seat to powerbleed it through.

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
At last front and back brake conversion done - not without its problems. The fronts were easy enough if the rears were annoying as I only found out the banjos on the brake lines were different sizes after I had swapped it all over. So I had to put all the old stuff back on and leave it for another week.

Attachments

• E179F65F-D79C-4DE4-8F2E-C8CD79C91EAC.png
    E179F65F-D79C-4DE4-8F2E-C8CD79C91EAC.png
    665.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 712B61E5-570F-44F3-9C94-8CB8D17B313A.png
    712B61E5-570F-44F3-9C94-8CB8D17B313A.png
    756.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 563E73F6-7F18-4F36-9855-3915D79D3BDF.png
    563E73F6-7F18-4F36-9855-3915D79D3BDF.png
    689.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 87FB7DC2-B053-45BE-B948-4FFAEAE56529.png
    87FB7DC2-B053-45BE-B948-4FFAEAE56529.png
    753.5 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Sportybean
Oct 7, 2020
At last front and back brake conversion done - not without its problems. The fronts were easy enough if the rears were annoying as I only found out the banjos on the brake lines were different sizes after I had swapped it all over. So I had to put all the old stuff back on and leave it for another week.

I'm looking to the same conversion to my FR. did everything fit perfectly other than the rear brake lines being different

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I'm looking to the same conversion to my FR. did everything fit perfectly other than the rear brake lines being different
When I fitted bigger brakes from the 3.0v6 to my Audi A4 1.9tdi I also changed the adaptions in the control module so the the car 'knew' it had bigger brakes and the traction/abs worked better.
I would imagine that would still apply?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020
When I fitted bigger brakes from the 3.0v6 to my Audi A4 1.9tdi I also changed the adaptions in the control module the the car 'knew' it had bigger brakes and the traction/abs worked better.
I would imagine that would still apply?
I've found cupra front and rear calipers, do I not need to change the hubs

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
It all fitted without problems- you will need the brake system bled on the computer (vcds) as it is can’t be done the old fashioned way. As far as I aware all the other stuff eg servos are the same as the Cupra

now it stops like you have dropped an anchor

I would get new discs and pads all around as using old stuff is a waste of time

Oct 7, 2020
worth the upgrade? so it's a straight fit brake pipes and everything the same just need to get it bled using VCDS which I've already got so shouldn't be to hard

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
worth the upgrade? so it's a straight fit brake pipes and everything the same just need to get it bled using VCDS which I've already got so shouldn't be to hard
worth the upgrade - depends how much power you have - if stock then no. Visually it makes it look amazing- so yes

just to clarify- it’s just the rear brake lines that need changing but it’s all a straight swap

Oct 7, 2020
worth the upgrade - depends how much power you have - if stock then no. Visually it makes it look amazing- so yes

just to clarify- it’s just the rear brake lines that need changing but it’s all a straight swap
I'm running standard power but my discs need changing on the motorway it's shakes when overheating. where did you get the rear brake lines from?

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I'm running standard power but my discs need changing on the motorway it's shakes when overheating. where did you get the rear brake lines from?
When I say it was a straight swap - it is on a 184 (diesel) fr

brake lines - always use main dealer

sounds like new discs and pads are all you need to fix your problems- certainly wouldn’t go to the expense of a full upgrade

I run 220bhp and it’s all country lanes (and I drive them like I am in a rally car) so bigger brakes are needed. For motorway it isn’t necessary

Oct 7, 2020
When I say it was a straight swap - it is on a 184 (diesel) fr

brake lines - always use main dealer

sounds like new discs and pads are all you need to fix your problems- certainly wouldn’t go to the expense of a full upgrade

I run 220bhp and it’s all country lanes (and I drive them like I am in a rally car) so bigger brakes are needed. For motorway it isn’t necessary
I drive mine hard and I've seen a cupra set of front and rear for £300 I'd say for that it would be worth it I'm planning on slowly going for remaps but I want to upgrade exhaust/ remove dpf but have the brakes first. for 300 its worth a upgrade right? how much did you pay for your calipers if you don't mind me asking

thebrief1979

Dec 1, 2017
Worcester
I drive mine hard and I've seen a cupra set of front and rear for £300 I'd say for that it would be worth it I'm planning on slowly going for remaps but I want to upgrade exhaust/ remove dpf but have the brakes first. for 300 its worth a upgrade right? how much did you pay for your calipers if you don't mind me asking
I paid about the same

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.