Brembo paint flaking

Dara O' Connor

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of the red paint flaking off the Brembo calipers on Cupra R . I purchaed the car recently and would just like to bring them back to their original state. Has anybody any suggestions???

Cupra_UK

Correction Cupra"R"
Dec 24, 2007
Near Gatwick
If you mean lacquer then yes that’s very common on Brembos. Almost all the marques I’ve come across seem to have this flaw. My R33 GTR had it, a friends Evo had it and my LCR ]also has cracking/ peeling lacquer. The paint itself should be good though.

pete147

Feb 17, 2008
here you go mate http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122617&highlight=dummies its on my to-do list. it seems easy enough :)

i used this guide to do mine sunday, just a few piccies to show the results

before:

SP_A0130.jpg

After one coat of laquer:

SP_A0131.jpg

And the finished product:

SP_A0132.jpg

Im really chuffed with how they come up, look brand new again!

Definatly worth doing

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
mine need doing badly. i'm not going to have time to do it before GTI international so i'll clean & polish them instead.

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
What is the best way to peel off the laquer?

One of mine has just started to peel. It looks like it has faded in the sunshine and lifted as a result cos it is only the top and side that is affected. The rest in the shade of the wheel is OK.

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
By The way, I ain't got fingernails long enough to do the laquer peel... And I don't think I can wait a week for them to grow.

Dara O' Connor

Excellent pics and comments, and while im at it i may as well tackle the rear calipers which could do with an injection of colour. Has anyone had a go???

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
I think I was the first on the forums to have a go at this on an LCR and including trial and error it took me about 1hr 30mins to do both sides.........I'd say you're being lazy ;)

you seem to know me well :lol: i'm not THAT lazy but i generally need my car for work and stuff so until i have some time off of work next month i don't think i'll leave my car on the drive long enough for the lacquer to cure properly. besides, i had the front and back nearside wheels off yesterday to clean and polish the wheels and calipers.................. offside will be done today. :p

rico

Nov 16, 2006
Aberdeen
my brembos got some much needed tlc this weekend past using the refurb for dummies and they came up a treat.

detaildoctor

Mar 15, 2008
Did all mine front and rear thanks to the very helpful thread Brembo's for dummies and they look spanking!!

Well worth spending the time on. Get good laquer is my recommendation and a good degreaser.

Like detailing, good prep great results....rush job, crap results:whistle:

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
done mine last year. Rubbed it all down with wet and dry even got rid of the brembo logo. sprayed it with hammerite red then replaced the brembo logo and finished it all off with layers of laquer pukka job.

pete147

Feb 17, 2008
What is the best way to peel off the laquer?

One of mine has just started to peel. It looks like it has faded in the sunshine and lifted as a result cos it is only the top and side that is affected. The rest in the shade of the wheel is OK.

i used my finger nails and a guitar pick, worked a treat for me, spose you could use the corner or a credit card or something. once i got rid of the flakes and bubbles iused some fine wet and dry sand paper.

adrianmorris

May 17, 2004
Rear calipers

Someone mentioned rear calipers.

If you don't fancy lacquering, I used T-cut to bring the colour back and then a normal liquid car wax to protect them a bit. Looked like new again.

Agree that lacquering would be a more permanent solution though.

Adrian.

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Someone mentioned rear calipers.

If you don't fancy lacquering, I used T-cut to bring the colour back and then a normal liquid car wax to protect them a bit. Looked like new again.

Agree that lacquering would be a more permanent solution though.

Adrian.

I kept mine polished too and wash them every week when I do the rest of the car. They aint see-your-face-in-them shiny, good enough though and still red.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.