Oil...What to use in your TDI

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Dads new Leon FR 2.0TDi needs a top up of oil.

Now I have 2 types in my garage and just wondering which I should use for the top up

1. Special Plus Advanced Engine Oil from Audi 505 01 (This is in my Ibiza FR)
or
2. Castrol SLX Longlife II 506 01 also from Audi

I know 2. is for Longlife servicing, but is this ok to use for a top up?

duncerduncs

Nov 17, 2006
Reading
Castrol EDGE TD vs Millers XFE-PD

Is there a real difference between these oils?

I know that the Millers' is the best part of £10 cheaper than the Castrol (5 ltr prices), but if the Castrol gives the better performance I'd be willing to pay the extra.

Any help would be appreciated :)

gorebrush

Sep 18, 2006
South Wales
Here's a question as it is Oil related.

What is the impact of using the incorrect type of oil in your car?

Will it cause critical/terminal damage to it? If so, how long after?

Can it cause a reduction in MPG?

Are there any signs to look out for if incorrect oil has been used in a service?

Thanks

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
In the PD engines, the injection system uses huge cams to create the fuel pressure inside a plunger. The contact point of that cam has to tolerate enormous forces, so the lubrication is very critical. So it's not the injectors themselves that require the special oil, but the cams that drive the injectors.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not without whipping off the cam cover I shouldn't think, so that you could look at the 4 injector pump cam lobes.

Ages back I think Paulo (prc) posted a photo of some worn lobes, whether you can A) find the post and B) still see the attachment I don't know.

markievw

is the right oil?help

hi

We have a new shape 56 plate seat ibiza tdi (100bhp)
Just been to vw dealer for some top oil, they have given me:
Special plus SAE 5w40 part number G 052 167 m2, it says it approved for vw diesel and gasoline engines 502 00/505 00/505 01
Is this okay to use
By the way car has done 4000 miles and is at the bottom end of the mark to top up, ie has used a lot of oil. Is this normal

gorebrush

Sep 18, 2006
South Wales
505.01 is the Spec of the oil that you should use with that car, and yes, Diesel engines drink a lot of oil in the first few thousand miles so i'm told!

I found i'd neglected mine and it had dropped way below the minimum, i'm surprised i didn't ruin the engine.

I went and bought a 5L can of oil from halfords, and keep it on standby in case I need to top up.

fahafiz

Jan 29, 2007
what happens if i use PD oil in my non-PD 90bhp Seat leon??? please reply asap.... someone...or anyone...cos ive noticed a change in the torque...

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
after reading though all that im highly confused what oil to put in my seat 1.9tdi ibiza 2004 sport 130bhp. from what i think it should be the 505.01 / 10w40 ???

oilman

Forum Sponsor
It's more likely to be a 5w-40 the likes of Castrol Edge TD 5w-40 or Fuchs Supersyn Plus PD 5w-40

You could always use the new spec 5w-30's that cover off all specs (latest 504/507) like Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Fuchs Titan GT1 LLIII 5w-30

Regards
Simon

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
I picked up some Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w-40 from Halfrauds lol on way back home, 4lt for £36 lol hope that tub lasts a long time just to top it up when need be!!

PS. Thanks for the reply!!!

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
am i right in sayin in need vw506.01 0w-30 to top up my new ibiza cupra pd 160?

does it matter what make of oil i use? as long as its the correct grade.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
HI all, just dropping in, had some trouble getting Millers XFE-PD oil, but found it after 2months looking every shop!! it was only in about the only shop hadnt went to!! Anyway 5ltrs of it for £25!! great price!

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Im more confused than before i hit search

My Leon hasnt needed any oil since it's 10k service (now nearer 17k) but im wanting to top it up a tiny little bit as its below the halfway of the marks. Couldnt find any 505.01 in halfords this time though. But what is confusing me now is the remarks about 150bhp+ cars should perhaps be using 506.01? My car was dyno'd at it's 10k service and was 165bhp so now i dont know what i should be using. Might have to see if i can find my star reciept and see if it says what was used.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.