EU Referendum. In or Out?

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
So its nearly time to make that once in a lifetime decision on our EU membership.

I am leaning towards out, but this is not to do with immigration. This country of ours has always been welcoming of other people and cultures & this will continue whether we are in or out of the EU.......So here's a rationale as to why im leaning towards out. You may agree or not...

When we first joined, in 1973 we joined what was then called 'the common market'.... A group of sovereign nations allowing cross border trade without the imposition of import/export duties.
Each nation within that trading block had its own laws, border controls, currencies and so on. These nations were cooperating as good friends and neighbours. BUT they still had ultimate contol over their own affairs.

In the 1980's the common market became 'the single market' and from then on we've had the slow march towards European Federalism & the slow creation of a 'United States of Europe'. This is because a 'single market' requires standardisation of policies and regulation. All of which takes precident over the policies and regulation of each individual member state.

We have constant meddling by people we didn't elect passing laws that takes power away from sovereign parliaments and transfers that power to the centre of Europe.

In 20, 30 or 50 years time, I fear that there won't be individual soverign parliaments in each nation of Europe. Due to slow changes that will lead to ever closer integration, we will all be part of a single block, controlled by the single parliament in Brussels. Each member state will, ultimately have to adopt the single currency (the Euro) and plans put in place for the creation of a single European Army, Navy & Air Force. Etc.

What does the above ulitmately hint at?......its the slow erasing of national cultures & identity, over a prolonged period.

The choice isnt to remain and for the EU to be reformed so it reverts back to being the common market again...pre late 1980's.

A vote to remain is an endorsement of the EU project and a green light for ever more binding integration we wont be able to stop.

There is also a toxic cherry on this EU cake currently being negotiated by people we didn't elect on our behalf......TTIP.

This will do far more damage to economies linked to the eurozone than anything else.

This is a good explanation of TTIP:

https://youtu.be/Y4OQeekSD6s

So where do you stand?

Last edited:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
100% out for all the reasons you've listed plus a lot more that I cannot be bothered to type out on my phone. The EU has evolved in to something no body ever wanted and it will only get worse.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Sorry to pipe up but even leaving the EU will not help with immigration, look at Norway they still get the immigration issue. What about small independent businesses by leaving there will be a lot of cut and roughly £30M to find, who do you think will be paying for that, Not the politicians but us general workers who will be going home will less money than before.

its never going to be an easy choice to make as I feel being in will hurt us in some ways and being out will hurt us in others, seems more of a lose lose situation

again they are my opinions and I admit a lot of it does confuse me and promises are never kept.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members