1.4tdi cutting out randomly causes accident

northern monkey

Mar 3, 2008
Tyne&Wear
Hi All
As per title, my missus has a 1.4tdi with 66k miles, always maintained with OEM parts etc, has recently developed a habit of randomly losing power.
It has happened to her on numerous occasions, pulling out of junctions, on m/ways at 60mph, normal driving in 30mph limits, basically totally randomly

I asked her to describe what happens and she says the engine just dies but all the eletricals still work, radio, dash lights, headlights etc.

I've drove the car on a couple of separate occasion for over an hour each time, using every scenario I can think of, fast m/way for long periods, slow town driving, high gear uphill, low gear downhill, low gear for long periods, high gear at low speed for long periods and it's never missed a beat.

The only thing it's displaying differently to me is when starting from cold it will catch straight away as it always has but when even slightly warm it cranks for an age before firing.

Today the inevitable has happened, she's pulled out of a junction, changed up to 2nd gear, it's died on her and somebody's ploughed into the back of her, she's absolutely fine, just shaken up, the car initially has a cracked numberplate....obviously I'll have to get underneath and see if it's still straight cos she said it was a hefty shunt.

I'm struggling to think of a cause to the problem, I changed the oil, air & fuel filters last week thinking it could've been a blocked filter.

I'm thinking it can't be a fuel pump issue if it can sustain high speed foot to the floor m/way driving.??

I've had it to my mates garage who's plugged a code reader in and found no faults displayed.

Any ideas people.??

Cheers

John.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I would start with relay 109 under the right hand facia then see if you can get a reading on the crankshaft sensor (3volts/peak-peak) I think keep us posted cheers