Ateca Rear View Camera Pinout needed

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Hi all,

I've been attempting to retrofit an OEM rear view camera to my Ateca, the camera module is part of the tailgate handle.
The problem is, the camera I bought did not come with the wiring loom and I've discovered that the short cable that plugs into the camera is not available from Seat separately.

The part number for the camera module is 5Q0980546A.
I can make my own loom, have the connectors etc, I just need the pinout of the camera module.
I'm assuming there will be an analogue video output pin, Power (12V?) and GND.

I've tested the system with a cheap ebay RVC and coded the headunit with OBDEleven, all working ok, but I really want to use the genuine camera!

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
Didn't get anywhere with the pin out but did find a harness lead

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/Wire-harness/64369586/4M0971192F.html

I suspect you might find a harness lead for something other than an Ateca but could be pricey or you might find an OEM lead from China.

Pinbelegung is German for pin out. It is a widely used camera so you would think you would stumble on someone's project on the net somewhere. Like this one

https://www.drive2.ru/l/492564717642973194/

People probably just plug the modules in rather than using a soldering iron.

The other thing which is a bit naughty would be to order a cable for the car but of a different size, get the pin out then return the cable... Russian car sights are probably the ones that might provide pin out or Ozzie ones.

Last edited:

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Thanks very much for your efforts Tell. That cable is a bit costly!!
I’ve spent hours looking for the pinout to no avail. One idea I had is to find an Audi or Seat wiring diagram for the camera wiring but every one I’ve seen so far has the video signals on a 2 pin connector. My camera has a round Rosenberger HSD 4 pin connector. I’ve even considered dismantling the camera module and studying the PCB under a microscope looking for clues for the video pin - I must be mad!!

Tell

Staff member
Last edited:

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Hi Tell,
Wow! I think you’re right!
Thanks so much for your help, I’ll have a more thorough read tonight and hook up a power supply and check it. I’ll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Hi Tell,
I got my HSD connector for the back of the camera this evening and just discovered the shield has continuity with pin 4 which is labelled Video in that website pinout. The other pins measure Mega ohms or are open circuit, so no clues there. I checked that website again and the camera is for a Jetta with a different style of connector so I don’t think it’s necessarily the same pinout as mine. I think I’ll try and dismantle the camera to determine which pin is video.

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Hi Tell,
I got my HSD connector for the back of the camera this evening and just discovered the shield has continuity with pin 4 which is labelled Video in that website pinout. The other pins measure Mega ohms or are open circuit, so no clues there. I checked that website again and the camera is for a Jetta with a different style of connector so I don’t think it’s necessarily the same pinout as mine. I think I’ll try and dismantle the camera to determine which pin is video.

Tell

Staff member
Oh well. It did look promising. I thought it would tally with the Tiguan I which would be the II and the Ateca. The Erwin stuff doesn't go in to pin out since it's all designed for modular repair.

Probably the third option down when they put it up on the website

OEM VW Trunklid Mounted Kit- Fits on 2011-2015 Volkswagen Jetta (MK6), 2007-2015 Volkswagen Tiguan, 2010-2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
Trunk Handle Mounted Camera Kit DIY

OEM VW Emblem Mounted Kit-
DIY Coming Soon

OEM VW Universal Backup Camera Kit- Some customization is required, namely drilling a 28x30mm square hole into your bumper
DIY Coming Soon

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Thanks. I’m hoping to use the camera I’ve already bought, £59 from eBay item number 253446160577.
Still thinking I should be able to find a wiring diagram for the Ateca or Tiguan 2. Both cars are relatively new so it’s tough finding anything useful.

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Thanks. I’m hoping to use the camera I’ve already bought, £59 from eBay item number 253446160577.
Still thinking I should be able to find a wiring diagram for the Ateca or Tiguan 2. Both cars are relatively new so it’s tough finding anything useful.

Tell

Staff member
I don't know whether these pictures are any good from AliExpress. It's for the B9

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32832245432.html

The Audi B9 is the longest car that's been available using the same camera part. The plug that goes into the camera just seems to come out with two wires - video - I reckon or is it the one on the left. 35$ lead (£25-43). Then a picture of someone holding the connection. The black lead I think, two wires out ?. That's screened so that's the camera out.

Thinking about and from the internet the camera comes in two forms, one made into the handle, the other standalone. So the loom with just two wires out will be where its getting the power from the other loom. Think yours is standalone...

The brand name is Larath.

For Audi A3 2017 -- A4 B9 A6 2017 --- VW Tiguan 5NA reversing camera RVC camera Wire Cable

Specifics
Rated Current 5A
Brand Name LARATH
Item Weight 0.4 kg
Model Name 8V0 827 566 b
Year 2017
Material Type ABS

I think that's a Chinease version of Larath thou. Check that I've not mixed my models thou. VAG ones seem to be 10 times the price. 60 day delivery from AliExpress... other stuff I get in about 10 days. So 60 days could turn into 10 days. Nothing on the Ateca on AliExpress so you have to pick other VAG group cars that share the component. You mind find something.

Any luck taking the camera apart ?.

Ps I was unaware that mine had a wash jet in it. One of those things you don't know about. It nicely sprays water out of it.

Last edited:

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Hi Tell,

Thanks for continuing to search for the pinout, it's much appreciated :)

So, I tried dismantling the handle yesterday to get the camera module out but it's a bit stubborn to say the least! I managed to break one tab off (the plastic is very soft) so I gave up on that for now.
I took a calculated risk and guessed at a pinout given the following clues;

1 pin has continuity with screen so I take this to be the GND pin.
1 pin measures 340K ohms to GND
2 pins both measure open circuit to GND.

Given I'm looking for 2 power supply pins, my guess was that the input impedance of these pins would be very similar so I tried connecting the 340K Ohm pin to video in on my TV (plus the screen/GND) and connected the 2 remaining pins to 12V individually, then both together. No current was drawn from the power supply and not surprisingly, no picture appeared on my TV!

I know my TV video in works ok, it's fine with my cheap generic RVC. That cheap RVC draws about 90mA so I know roughly what current I'm looking for.

If I could remove the camera module from the handle it would look like this part eBay item: 282556557358, it just has the 4 pins accessible. There is another rectangular connector on the handle for the boot release switch.

Not sure what my next step is going to be. Maybe try applying 12V to the pin that sees 340KOhms to GND...

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
I got a little bit further...
Applying 12V to the pin with 340k Ohms to GND, the camera drew 70mA from the power supply, about what I expected. So now I think I've identified +12V and GND but the other 2 pins did not output any video when connected to my TV.

I managed to dismantle the handle assembly and remove the camera module. I removed the back cover to the camera revealing its PCB and the last 2 pins appear to be routed to 2 differential traces with mirrored passive components (caps and inductors). I think the video output is differential NTSC and my TV is expecting single-ended so this is probably why I didn't get any video on my TV screen. It would make sense for the video signal to be differential given the benefits in noise suppression.

I confirmed the camera module part number is correct for the Ateca so I'm thinking maybe the radio needs Video+ and Video-, not Video and GND. I plan to test the Video- pin at the radio for continuity to GND, if its not grounded its most likely a differential input and I stand a chance of this working.

Snow stopped play so I didn't get any further over the weekend but I'll try and test this theory soon.

Tango17

Mar 11, 2018
Unfortunately it didn’t work. I didn’t have enough time to investigate thoroughly, I wanted to check for continuity on the Video- pin to ground. Will get round to that soon. If it is grounded I’ll modify the camera module to output single ended video, simple but fiddly mod. If that doesn’t work then I’ll buy a new car with the camera fitted

Hec17

Mar 29, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I want to thank you guys for starting this thread. I've been hunting high and low over the WWW for the pass two months for any information regarding rear view camera for my Seat Ateca. And it's like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle with bits of information. I should have opted to have it fitted when I bought the car but when you are tight on budget..... I thought I could have one fitted later on through Seat, well... we wouldn't be here other wise.

I know it's probably a pain in the backside, but can any of you guys tell me how to code the head unit via OBD for the rear camera? Is it easy to do and what do I need? This is the only area I have no clue of. I know where to plug it in and that is about it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks