Surging????

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
Sat in traffic last night, clutch pedal fully depressed and in 1st gear, handbrake on waiting to move, nothing unusual there!

Then all of a sudden the revs increased slightly (note right foot off gas pedal) car tried to creep forward and then it returned to idle, this happenned approx 5 times and after the initial episode I turned off the stereo to listen and wait for it.

Each time took about 20 seconds from the car coming to a halt, in gear with clutch fully depressed, I made sure my left foot was fully planted all the time but it appeared as if I was letting the clutch out slightly which was not the case.

Could this be initial clutch wear/slippage or dual mass flywheel issues? I do have a re-map and car had it's 20k service done last week (funny thing is though I can't recall this happenning before the service)

any light to be shed would be welcome.

cheers

panda

Jan 4, 2004
Spain
coaxy.eu.org
does not sound like clutch slippage to me, slippage happens when you are cruising at low boost and you accelerate hard from about 2500 rpm and then revs go up but the car doesn't go faster, then revs go down (the clutch engages) and you accelerate.

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
Cheers

such as I thought myself, was damn strange though, this is my 3rd leon in different guises over the pst 5 years and i have never experienced it before. You know that diesels creep forward in 1st in slow traffic, well it was as if it was trying to do this but my clutch pedal was firmly planted to the floor on every occaision.

car drives fine though, just concerned I may have a problem as yet to show it'self fully so to speak

I note you have same engine as myself, and a mighty high remap, do you mind asking how you achielved 202 bhpfrom a remap on the pd150?

cheers

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
Paulo,

I'm sure it's nothing to do with the re-map as Richard has confimed all ok previously and these issues weren't there then...

do you think I should visit my dealer for a check on the items you mentioned?

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
prc said:
Where's the clutch picking up? close to the bottom or up top (of pedal action)?

If it starts getting worse then go see the dealer. I would do it yet.

it picks up about 2/3 way down but there's plenty of play left until the peddal reaches the floor

I'll just keep an eye on things for a few months

cheers Paulo have a good xmas mate

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Does sound like your clutch isn't fully disengaging when the clutch pedal is right down...

Maybe the rise in engine revs was the ECU compensating from the drag on the clutch.
It's not a fix, but it won't happen if you put it in neutral and let the clutch up whilst waiting in traffic.

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
sssstew said:
agreed muddy :)

Agreed too, I tried this which caused no problems, may call the dealer just to see if they can fit me in soon for a once over, car is only a year old and done 20k, it seems daft but the problem wasn't there before it was services last week, I always seem to get issues with cars immediately after a service, coincidence?

thanks lads, you been helpful