Quoted abs & power steering control units £1800...help

R1PPER

My seat cordoba 02 1.9 TDI has had an abs light and a power steering light on for the last few months.

MOT is due and left it to the last minute to check it into an official seat dealer to check it over. Jaw just dropped when they told me i would need a new Power stearing control unit (£800) and a new ABS control unit (£1000). oh and they charged me a £100 to tell me this.

Im really worried that even if i had the work done it would still not fix it and there is no way i can spend that sort of money at the moment.

Any ideas what the best course of action is in this situation....i'm still in shock.

Thanks for any help here guys.

martin_hill_198

Apr 21, 2008
take bulbs out for mot.... get a indipendent garage to check for u sud be about £30-£50 and theytell u what u need might just be sensor etc

R1PPER

Hi martin...i went to a small indi garage who changed the abs sensor first but the light was still on...they told me i would need to take it to a big garage with the full diagnostic computer. That is where i was quoted the silly money. If i take the bulbs out (is it easy???) are you sure they will pass me?

martin_hill_198

Apr 21, 2008
well if there no light to say there is an abs fault cant fail it i know at the garage i work at we dont do... if no light no fault as far as we consered

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
well if there no light to say there is an abs fault cant fail it i know at the garage i work at we dont do... if no light no fault as far as we consered

but if its abs fitted doesn't the light have to illuminate and extinguish to show correct working to pass

inspection method

If the vehicle is fitted with an anti-lock braking system, check that

a. a warning lamp is fitted
b. the lamp illuminates
c. the lamp follows the correct sequence of operation
d. does not indicate a fault.

reasons for rejection

1. The warning lamp
a. is missing
b. does not illuminate
c. does not follow the correct sequence of operation
d. indicates an ABS fault.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK

That's not correct - the MOT tester must observe the lights go through the start up routine.

so tape them up with 'trim'

however, you should fix it (and the rack)

shiller1984

i used a company called ecu-testing

www.ecu-testing.com i think.

i had to send my abs unit to them and they tested and repaired whatever was wrong, might be worth giving them a call cost me about 140.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members