Tdi 90 boost problem

funkmonkey66

The problems im having with the car sound normal having read tons of posts of a similar nature, ie started with loosing power under heavy load in high gears (overtaking in 4th or 5th and loosing power) and has now moved on to what appears to be permanent limp mode. was looking at spending a few hours tomorrow taking it apart and cleaning everything i can find to clean, inlet, egr valve etc. was also going to try and get the turbo off to clean that aswell but am i right in thinking the tdi 90 doesn't have the problematic VNT system that the tdi110 has???
after reading post after post stating that a sticky VNT was the most common cause i was all ready to give this a clean when i spotted a post hidden away that appeared to suggest the difference between the 90 and 110 was the lack of VNT on the 90??? is this right? and if so is it worth taking the turbo off? is there anything there that could be cleaned up to help the problem?

I've had vag-com on the car and i forget the exact code and wording but recognized the fault as being the same as most people have posted up. will check it again tomorrow and post it. the car has covered high milage, 130k so im expecting to have alot of cleaning to do but the VNT bit has stumped me abit now.

any ideas?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The main difference between the TDI90 and TDI110 is that the TDI90 does not have the VNT turbo, and the TDI110 does. However, later TDI90 cars (ALH engine for sure, may be others) DO have the VNT turbo, and look like detuned TDI110's

You need to find out which engine is in your car, the service booklet should have the data sticker in it and the engine code is on there. There should be a similar sticker under the carpet in the boot.

funkmonkey66

Ah right thats great. just checked the engine code and i have an ALH so i guess i can just carry on with my strip down and clean plan and hopefully overcome the limp mode problems. Would this mean it is the same turbo as the 110 then? and just a case of the ecu mapping that makes the difference between the 90 and 110? if this is the case i found a tdi110 being broken not far from me so it may be worth seeing how much i could pick up the turbo for.

Thanks for the info anyway!

ryanp

MAF sensor will be likely the cause, mine was in permanent limp until i swapped it, now it's only every now and then, which is sticking turbo vanes!

90 and 110 VNT turbo's are the same, the nozzels and software are the differences, put 150ps T4 transporter nozzles in and have a MAP, 145hpish

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.