Disconnected N18 EGR Control Valve

alien1974

Sep 10, 2010
I unplugged my n 18 valve today, no light came on car feels a bit more responsive now i must admit, i recommend this, as mine is an earlier tdi (2001) no need to map out the management light.

alien1974

Sep 10, 2010
It operates the exhaust gas recirculate valve, so by disconnecting the electrical connector the valve stays closed so no exhaust gases are re burned, the advantage to this is that the induction part of the engine ie the induction manifold doesnt get coaked up with sludge.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Is there a downside to doing this?? Are there any negative reactions like lights on or ecu mess ups??

Any chance of someone posting up a pic of the connector to undo??

There's no real bad side apart from the car taking slightly longer to warm up and maybe a tiny drop in mpg. No idea why but it's just what I've read on the tdiclub and myturbodiesel forums. Also worth noting that someone did the egr delete and still ended up with a sludged up intake?! Go figure lol.

On your bulkhead there's two solonoid type valves, just follow the vacuum pipes from them, one goes to the turbo and the other goes to your egr actuator on top of the egr which is bolted on to the end of the intake. (The part the turbo pipe connects to) Pretty sure it's the right one but just double check to be 100% sure.

Here's them on a golf, just behind the number 2 in the pic, that's what they look like. Also that's the egr actuator on the left side of the pic.

timingbelt1a.jpg

Pic taken from here

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/ALH-engine-timing-belt-change-VW-Jetta-TDI-1.htm