Leon 110 turbo access for innotec cleaning

RightFootVolley

Hi all, first time poster so hopefully I'm not covering old ground.

I'm getting occasional limp mode when accelerating up steep hills (I live in Buxton so steep hills are one thing we have plenty of!). Because of this and having read some of the threads on here I bought the innotec turbo cleaning kit off ebay. I'm no mechanic but I'm prepared to give out a go myself, providing I can get access to the turthe required part of the turbo from above the car.
Does anyone know if this will be possible, or will I need to get underneath the car?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Don't know about the 110 but I've got a TDI 150 and the turbo is invisible from above, and seems to be more accessible from below, with the central section of the undertray off. Removing the turbo is well beyond my mechanical skills though!

Maybe worth trying posting the question on the Leon subforum?

RightFootVolley

Thanks for your reply, it's well past my mechanical expertise as well and I don't have any ramps or axle stands to access the undertray. I've got a service coming up so maybe I'll ask them to do it.

Cheers

sonnex22

Jul 26, 2010
before you get the turbo cleaned try cleaning the EGR (accessed from the top of the engine bay), when i had limp mode last year that is what i was advised by Seat and it worked.

RightFootVolley

Thanks Sonnex, as it can be accessed from above I think it's just about within the realms of what I'm capable of so I'll give it a bash. What sort of time frame am I looking at for doing it?

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
remove exhaust downpipe 3 nuts
then squirt the cleaner into turbo trying to get it past the compressor fan
cover with you made template and leave for 20 mins
manually move actuator arm using 14mm short spanner making sure it moves full sweep

RightFootVolley

Thanks for all your replies. I'll be putting a weekend to one side to clean the turbo, egr, inlet manifold, change oil and filters and drill the airbox if I have time.

Has anybody noticed a difference in terms of responsiveness from using for instance a k&n or pipercross panel filter to the normal one? If so I'll look to get hold of one this weekend.

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Thanks for all your replies. I'll be putting a weekend to one side to clean the turbo, egr, inlet manifold, change oil and filters and drill the airbox if I have time.

Has anybody noticed a difference in terms of responsiveness from using for instance a k&n or pipercross panel filter to the normal one? If so I'll look to get hold of one this weekend.

I'd like to try this so would be interested to know how you get on.

Is there a how-to guide out there for this procedure?

RightFootVolley

Do you mean drilling the airbox?

I've never done my own but did a mate's 306 tdi with him. It was reasonably straightforward iirc, although it was about 10 years ago. Someone on here posted some photos of their drilled airbox, they had drilled about 50 holes that looked about 10mm each all over the underside of the box.

I imagine you can't really go wrong as long as you don't drill any holes above the line of the filter, thereby letting dirty air bypass the filter altogether. Happy to be corrected on that though.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonnex22

Jul 26, 2010
i cleaned my EGR on wednesday and my turbo today, i used Mr Muscle down through the EGR pipe. when i leave work there is a slight hill, that when i got to a 1/3 of the way up limp mode would kick in. after cleaning the turbo it flew up the hill. it feels more responsive and smoother than it has done at any point in the 25k that i have owned it.

RightFootVolley

i cleaned my EGR on wednesday and my turbo today, i used Mr Muscle down through the EGR pipe. when i leave work there is a slight hill, that when i got to a 1/3 of the way up limp mode would kick in. after cleaning the turbo it flew up the hill. it feels more responsive and smoother than it has done at any point in the 25k that i have owned it.

So you cleaned the turbo without getting underneath the car?

RightFootVolley

Ah thanks mate, didn't pick that up from your previous post

sonnex22

Jul 26, 2010
So you cleaned the turbo without getting underneath the car?

i did it at work so have access to a ramp. but there was no need to get under the car for me, i had to take the under tray off to retreive some lost covers from a previous repair.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Do you mean drilling the airbox?

I've never done my own but did a mate's 306 tdi with him. It was reasonably straightforward iirc, although it was about 10 years ago. Someone on here posted some photos of their drilled airbox, they had drilled about 50 holes that looked about 10mm each all over the underside of the box.

I imagine you can't really go wrong as long as you don't drill any holes above the line of the filter, thereby letting dirty air bypass the filter altogether. Happy to be corrected on that though.

Few people would recommend this, just makes the engine injest more hot under bonnet air. the airbox on the leon TDI is known to be very effective up to high power, so a good panel filter is all thats needed really.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members