exhaust noise

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
Hi

this might be a bit random but i noticed a little smoke from my exhaust while i was stationary at a junction after a goodfast run on the back roads. When i pulled up on my drive i got out to see if it was still smoking when ticking over. It sounded similar to a petrol exhaust burbling (it has the seatsport centre exit exhaust, full stainless system) but then as i was listening the exhaust noise just stopped as if someone had switched the exhaust off?! Is there some kind of valve on the exhaust that could have caused this? The car is a 57 reg 2.0tdi 170. Also is little smoke normal? I'm considering changing the plugs as its thrown a coil light a couple of times at random (the brake lights seem fine but i haven't been able to check them while the glow plug light is flashing) also i often have to give it a little on the throttle to catch it on start -up.

Any guidance is much appreciated - this is my first diesel.

Thanks
Stephen

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
it may well be the egr switching it only does approx 2 minutes at tickover then shuts down for a while after a brisk run there may still be some oil from the pipes and intercooler burning off

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
Thanks, i though it could be to do with the egr but having read other posts most people say it makes no difference to the running of the car when the egr is disabled other than maybe a little more turbo noise? I'm looking into getting VAGCOM now so i can check for codes and disable the egr, especially if my exhaust will sound better. It's better than paying for diagnostics every time i suspect theremight be a problem..

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Thanks, i though it could be to do with the egr but having read other posts most people say it makes no difference to the running of the car when the egr is disabled other than maybe a little more turbo noise? I'm looking into getting VAGCOM now so i can check for codes and disable the egr, especially if my exhaust will sound better. It's better than paying for diagnostics every time i suspect theremight be a problem..

This happened mine - egr stuck open, but it did throw an EML after a while. But like you said - I could hear the tick over change and the exhaust note would sound different, like a petrol as you say. I cleaned out the egr and disconnected it, been that way since, but with an EML light on the whole time.

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
Thanks darrenj, it sounds pretty certain that had the cause of my query with the exhaust note then. I'm looking into disabling the egr like you mentioned.

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Thanks darrenj, it sounds pretty certain that had the cause of my query with the exhaust note then. I'm looking into disabling the egr like you mentioned.

No bother. Just take off vacuum pipe and insert a bolt and cable tie or wire around it.

Here's what I did:

DSCN0048.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.