Hi Everyone - Looking at TDi FR 150

APNess

Feb 1, 2005
Agreed with all of those. I have a luna grey Fr and doesn't look dirty unless you get up close. I think black is the best colour, but know what a swine it is to keep clean. Red is also nice but maybe not so good for resale, as I found out with other cars in the past.

When you chip the car the performance will transform from 'reasonable' to 'nippy' in that I've played with a subaru 225hp, Boxter (non S) and 3.2 Merc SLK, and surprised myself with the cars' ability to stay with them, though of course corners would show the Leon up a little, especially with Scooby and Boxter. Should be quite a bit quicker than your Ford, though fords make up with great handling etc, and decent build quality these days.

Best of all is range on tank, I usually get between 520 and 600 to a tank, but booting it all the time will drop that to around 450 (this is with venting every time though). The car isn't the fastest thing on the road, but the combination of nippy performance, decent mpg, good reliability and so far, great service from the dealer (JCT in Yeadon - they surprised me so far) and reasonable insurance makes the car a nice package.

The new model (2.0 tdi) is much better built, but heavier and slightly slower, I feel, though handles tidier and will be better on residuals. Interior Quality is several steps up from Mk1, though you won't get any bargains on one yet.

£14995 is a great price for the car, especially with the run out bits on 'em. I'd be cheeky and ask them to throw in cruise, auto dim mirrors/rain sense wipers (or centre arm rest) and some mats, tell them you will sign up right there, right then, if they can do that for 14995. You don't get if you don't ask...

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Knigh, they are the wheels that these 3 pre-regs have on them, and I know have figured out the difference between the two bumpers so will be able to check today.

LeonFRTDI & APNESS - thanks for the great write up, only another hour till my test drive and most probbaly a sign on the dotted line :)

Wrighty

Aug 21, 2005
Derbyshire
i paid a few quid over 14k for my pre-reg FR TDI back in august from a main dealer so get that price down a bit!

i was in kinda the same situation as you, in that i was looking to change my alfa, and the cars on the short list were the ST170 and the leon cupra - diesel wast even a consideration at the time, i was a fully fledged petrol head. Until i test drove a '53 plate cupra TDI and my opinion soon changed. Im doing about 4-500 miles a week driving to south wales and back for work, so that, combined with higher resale value on the diesels pushed me to the dark side and so far, 2 months later, i havent looked back.

Getting around 50mg on my drive home on a Friday, with some spirited driving, and as mentioned before the 2nd gear kick at 2k rpm+ is something else

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Well the deal is done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pickup a shiney new FR on tuesday. They didnt have the upgraded bumpers, but the one I have has the 17" Cupra Alloys, so thats a bonus.

Just waiting for the finance to be approved, as the guy that does the finance was on a half day so they dont know if its been approved or not (which is a proper pain as I have had to arrange the insurance anyway).

I have booked Tuesday off, so if all goes well and the finance is approved, I will be the YR55 plate crusing around Sheffield and up and down the M1 between J31 and J35a from next week!.

My goal is to use a tank of dirty stuff on my first day :)))).

How cool is that red dashboard?

And yes, even though it was raining and I didnt cane it, I felt the difference between touque and BHP !

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
You'll never use a tank in a day - cane the sh1t out of it (which you shouldnt be doing cos you've got to run it in ;) ) and you'll still get 450 lol

Red dash = cool.

Even cooler is the fact that the white dials disapear (sp) when it goes dark so you have red on black instead!

What coulour did you end up with?

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Mine was delivered today...top motor [B)]

IMG_2550-vi.jpg
[/IMG]

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
My new one looks identical to Knighs on page two - silver with the Cupra wheels - lovely....see how quickly I turned from demanding black or dark grey to luna grey.

Cant wait, now just paranoid about the credit and if I get the credit its still 4 days to wait!.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Bunglebonce said:
You'll never use a tank in a day - cane the sh1t out of it (which you shouldnt be doing cos you've got to run it in ;) ) and you'll still get 450 lol

On that subject, how gentle should I be, and for how long, is it the normal first 1000 miles?

redkite

Apr 10, 2005
oxford
Hi, ive got a 130 Leon in platinum, lovely colour but does seem to chip easily on front end, dont drive too close either :confused:

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
cstevens said:
My new one looks identical to Knighs on page two - silver with the Cupra wheels - lovely....see how quickly I turned from demanding black or dark grey to luna grey.

Cant wait, now just paranoid about the credit and if I get the credit its still 4 days to wait!.

Great to see you've done the deal - these cars are a great overall package. I also agree you will not get through a tank in a day unless you are planning to go to Scotland or Brighton for the day and back. Nottingham to Brighton = 240 miles aprox each way (useless bit of info but I do the trip once a month).

Tim

ps Can someone tell me how you post a picture direct to the note - not as an attachment please.

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
Nick nice looking car - yours didn't happen to come from Perry's - only ask as we have the same prefix.

redkite

Apr 10, 2005
oxford
Yes mines an OU plate too, they are oxfordshire reg no's . Alot of them are from the main SEAT prep centre , at Bicester i think..

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
redkite said:
Hi, ive got a 130 Leon in platinum, lovely colour but does seem to chip easily on front end, dont drive too close either :confused:

They all do these days - stupid soft acrylic paints etc :(

QUOTE: ps Can someone tell me how you post a picture direct to the note - not as an attachment please.

As I am now the resident picture posting expert ;) what you have to do is, find one of those sites that you can upload your pictures on to for nothing like here, bung some pics on, choose the one you want to have in your post, click the insert image tab at the top (the one that looks like a mountain), copy and paste the link under your photo from the hosting site that says Img next to it, into the insert image box and thats it.

Appologies for the very base explanation, but im assuming you're as clued up on computers as me i.e. clueless - which I am sure you're not really :redface:

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Latest Update - Finance approved - I pick it up on Tuesday - so only 3 days to wait.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Argh!!!! They called me up today and said that the valeter chap has noticed a scratch across the rear wheel arch so they would need to get that done.

I have the day off, and have the next two weekends away so really needed the car rather than put more miles on mine and spend more money...so I have got them to agree to me picking it up tomorrow and taking it back in at some time.

I think I put the dealer's back up a bit as I said "no doubt I will be back as there's always something wrong so you can sort out the scratch when you fix the other niggles".

Not sure how bad it is, but its a silver car so hopefully not too noticable.

So we are back on track for tomorrow morning :))))))))

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.