New Leon Mk1 20v Turbo Owner

rapid

Hi All,

New member here, first post :funk:

Just picked up my 2000 reg leon mk1 20v turbo in silver.

I previously had a 2000 reg golf GTI 1.8T.

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions, I previously ordered a 'service kit' for my golf which included air filter, oil filter and sump bolt. Will these fit my Leon mk1?

Also, what oil is everyone using? I did use 15/40 in my golf because it was 140k on the clock etc, but I'm thinking 10/40 would be right for the leon?

Are Seat dealers really expensive? I dont mind servicing myself but at the same time at this mileage I wouldn't mind getting a dealer or garage to do it instead..

There's a few things I noticed on my leon in the short drive back to my house:

1 - no trip computer, is there any way to retro fit one?
2 - no warning sound when the lights are left on (which i did) is there any way to enable this or retro fit?
3 - does the factory fitted stereo have AUX in?

Seen a couple of leons with the fabia rear wiper which looks loads better so i think i might fit that..

Any other advice would be great..

Will get some pictures posted up soon..

R

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Hi mate welcome to the forum. You will get loads of info from here and there are lots of very knowledgable people...any problem you have will more than likely be able to be answered on here. the oil etc already has loads of threads on here so try doing a search. I dont mind answering questions more than once doesn't bother me at all but others prefer you to use the search option as it clogs the forum up a bit. Any way, i use 10/40 in mine and its done 101k and i dont get any problems. As for the oil filter it depends on what engine code yours is. Some will some wont. Air filter once again just trial and error...but you could get a replacement performance panel filter or induction kit. Quite a few people use the green cotton panel filter i think. As for the warning sound for the lights i dont think mine does it either...yes its possible to fit your own but you'd have to run it through a relay etc depends how electrically minded you are...i could do it but depends where you live! Mine doesn't have the trip computer either and mine's a mk1 20vt cupra too...think its a lot of work to fit one. And yes loads of people fit the fabia rear wiper...looks better. And as for other mods...maybe do an n249 bypass...cost you about a fiver for the bits and takes ten minutes maximum!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
How do ? :)

Yes your Golf service kit will fit the Cupra... I know as I service both cars regularly :)

Use good quality 5W 40 oil in the Cupra such as Fuchs from GSF... 10W will be ok at this time of year but I'd stick to 5W imho.

SEAT servicing is ok ... not cheap or expensive...

No trip computer ... LOTS of work to fit so dont bother...

There should be a lights on buzzer as standard. Sounds like your buzzer has died?

Not sure on the aux in ... I dont think it does!

Fabia wiper looks great (Im biased) as does a Cupra R splitter - both cheap mods

rapid

Hi guys, thanks for the reply.

Popped down halfords and got some 10/40 oil, went out to service and the sill where the jacking point is was quite badly bent so I decided to hold off, not too keen on doing it in case i do more damage..

Might give Seat a call tomorrow to see what they charge..

R

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Was it halfords oil you brought? If it was then maybe get a better quality like fuchs or castrol or something. Mr ocd cheers for the advice on the oil. Will change mine to 5/40

rapid

Yeah just got halfords stuff, I know there's better oil out there, but I'm gunna be doing 20k a year and would want to change every 8-10k.. dont think I can face 40-50 quid a time.. is the halfords stuff really that bad?

Just gunna order up some replacement sparkplugs and get them done at the same time..

One thing i did notice when i drove it today with the windows down, is the standard dump valve noticable? I can here a bit of a woosh when i change gear / take my foot off the peddle..

Loving the leon so far though!

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Well i change mine every 3k (just the oil and filter that is) its not the best oil in the world! Its £20 i think for 5 litres of halfords oil but for an extra 5-6 pound you can get mobile 1 super s or castrol for about £30

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Personally I don't think its worth putting crap oil in just to save £5-10 .......especially if your only planning on changing it every 10k

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Oh and furthermore to what was said about oil earlier, if your only planning on changing it every 10k then even more reason to use a good quality oil.

rapid

Can you guys suggest where's best to pick up oil at a realistic price? Are MANN oil/air filters good enough quality?

Also, out of interest, where else can i jack the car up, the sill has been squashed a bit and im not keen to do it there even with a piece of wood, can anyone provide a photo of the best place to jack it at the front?

Thanks,
R

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
Well i change mine every 3k (just the oil and filter that is) its not the best oil in the world! Its £20 i think for 5 litres of halfords oil but for an extra 5-6 pound you can get mobile 1 super s or castrol for about £30

3k oil change.... bit of overkill that isnt it. and expense.

surely better to change on the recommended service 10k and use top quality oil, which is more, but your changing it less....

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I'm inbetween I change all my cars oils at 6k

I know it says 10k for most but thats for a standard car isnt it, not a modified car that are usually driven quite hard :)

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Can you guys suggest where's best to pick up oil at a realistic price? Are MANN oil/air filters good enough quality?

Also, out of interest, where else can i jack the car up, the sill has been squashed a bit and im not keen to do it there even with a piece of wood, can anyone provide a photo of the best place to jack it at the front?

Thanks,
R

A lot of OE filters are actually MANN filters, not sure about the Seat ones, As others have said though a dealer is quite cheap or go to vwspares.co.uk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.