Can haze really be polished out by hand?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've recently had a number of "car park" scratches polished out of the doors. I was really pleased. Until we had some sun yesterday and my doors looked like mirrors except for hazy misty patches where the scratches were fixed. I'd get the company back to fix it. But you can't see them except in direct sunlight.

When wet the haze disappears. So I believe it's clear coat only. I've watched a few vids on YouTube and tried to super resin polish it out. I thought it had worked but after a couple of washes it's clear they were just disguised.

I was going to try some mcguires scratch X or compound. Am I wasting my money without a machine polisher? Am I just likely to make it worse?

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Super resin polish contains fillers which will disguise swirls and fine scratches.

What did you initially use to address the scratches?

Any chance you could take a pic of the haze?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I thought the SRP made the scratches disappear a bit too quick. I've had a go with the ScratchX... it's hard work. But looks better than it was. Do I just keep scrubbing?

1vPWZlv.jpg

Last edited:

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
The pic is helpful, the paintwork is hazed and I've had that personally when wet sanding. The clearcoat is dull due to all the fine scratches and shows up more on a dark car.

ScratchX should be able to reduce that haze, and as Alexis27 mentioned, if it's not improving then don't rub for too long.
I've used Meguiars Ultimate Polish to polish by hand after wet sanding and it did a good job, took a while though and plenty elbow grease, not so much pressure but more time polishing. The key was also not to use too much product.
It's also worth ensuring that the paintwork is clean before you polish and that any cloths/pads that you use are also clean to make sure that you don't introduce any new scratches.

This article is worth a read: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...ect-by-hand-with-ScratchX#rdos1qXFvZqbusuj.97

Good luck!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Finally some nice weather!!!

Before:
1vPWZlv.jpg

After my arm aching for 30 minutes....
uPdJ0wl.jpg

I then went on to SRP and HD wax it... but forgot to do another close up... mainly cause my arm was dropping off and I wanted to watch tv!

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Cheers. That was just using ScratchX. Took a couple of applications and my arm almost dropping off. But definitely worth it in the end.

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Nice result. As you found out yes it is possible to do it by hand but its a lot less effort with a machine polisher! I've never used scratch x so can't vouch for how abrasive it is, by the sound of the name I am guessing pretty abrasive. Now you have it looking good SRP or another finer finishing compound should be able to keep on top of it. VAG cars seem to have pretty hard paint but you don't want to be using an abrasive product all the time.

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
might need to check this stuff out for a couple spots on my LCR. Got a DA polisher lying about

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members