MPG from a EXEO ST TSi 2.0 (208BHP)

Nozzle

Jan 5, 2017
Suffolk
Hello everyone,

I've used the search function, and have seen plenty of threads about diesel fuel economy but not much about petrol models. I've had my EXEO ST TSi 2.0 (the 208 BHP Version) for about 14 months now, and it's pretty thirsty on fuel, even on long smooth runs on motorways, though my commute is only 7 miles on country roads - so that doesn't help the average look good.

Clearly one doesn't buy a performance petrol car and expect it to do 60 to the gallon, and I know manufacturer's figures are only achievable with perfect conditions.. (what a con that is!!)

I measure 23mpg from the onboard computer, but also use Fuelio app and that gets 28.5mpg since last November... perhaps this is the going rate?? I'm hoping other TSi 2.0 drivers might share with me what mpg you return and on what type of journey

I thought I ask on the forum if there are any recognised common problems with this type of engine, leaking injectors or dodgy sensors or similar, that cause over fueling. There is a black residue on the exhausts, which you might expect if it were Diesel. I don't know if the car has been chipped/software tuned, it wasn't sold as such.

I see the likes of Revo and Bluefin do software tuning, I wonder if they do maps for economy or just all-out power at max revs? (Great for pub points, not much more). I know the default maps are there to get cars through type testing and emissions tests, and are very often not as "optimal" as they can be.

Nozzle

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I don't have an Exeo but I am thinking about getting one once my MK1 Leon finally gives up.

It looks like you're getting about average MPG from what other people have reported on this site:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/seat/exeo-st-2009/20-tsi

The Exeo is a rather heavy car for its size and the 2.0 TSI engine is designed for performance not fuel economy. The official MPG looks impressive, but a number of things are going on to make it look that good. The testes are done in an enclosed laboratory on a rolling road and the air temperature is between 20c and 30c.

The acceleration sections of the tests would seem painfully slow in normal traffic. For example in the urban test 0 to 30mph takes 26 seconds. The extra urban test 0 to 43mph in 41 seconds, then 43mph to 62mph in 35 seconds and finally 62mph to 75mph in 20 seconds. In most modern cars I would guess only a quarter of the accelerator pedal travel is used and currently no significant turbo boost.

danjwilko

Sep 1, 2016
Hello mate unfortunately I own the Exeo st 170 sport so can't help directly with the petrol models but I've had 2 litre models previously, going from a Saab 9-5 2.0 se and a Saab 9-3ss both 2 litre turbos one the old Saab design the other the newer fiat/Vauxhall lump the mpg averaged anywhere from 23-28 cold months to 28-34 ish during the summer although the newer 9-3ss was better by far it still sucked round town both were he'll of a lot better sat in max gear on the motorway cruising which a mph figure of about 35-40 was attainable but as soon as you hit normal roads it dropped mentally, so yours sounds about right the 2 litre variety are always thirsty best mpg and power is in the 1.6 litre engines unless you go diesel, I've had a fair few neighbours have the old 2.0litre lumps and they normally complain about low mpg and burning small amounts of oil all the time.

Apparently a remap would help especially if you go for an economy map for your vehicle will probably increase bhp only a fraction of what a normal remap would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danjwilko

Sep 1, 2016
Depends what mileage he does I suppose anything under 7k or just short town journeys I'd stick with petrol, if not diesel quartered my yearly fuel bill so far by switching.

Nozzle

Jan 5, 2017
Suffolk
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your input to this thread, it's taken me a while to get back as I've been busy at work and then laid up in bed with a fever, rubbish!!

I'm tempted to get an "economy" map done, knowing/hoping it doesn't actually knock the performance much. I suspect the factory map has been tuned to run a little rich in places to help the emissions figures to pass the type test.. Subsequently it uses more gas but pumps out less CO2 so it falls into a lower tax bracket. Case in point is that my previous Audi A3 1.6 Petrol was £230 per year (176-185 g/km), but this is £185 (151-165 g/km). This car has way more power, is way heavier but cost less to tax.... RIIIIIIGHT!

Over to the point of why get this petrol when I could have picked a diesel.. well, I recon the government are going to backlash on Diesels and the tax regime will change to include particulate emissions. Plus I only have a short commute and a heavy diesel engine wont get up to temperature most of the time, and emissions gear DPF and EGR and the like have a habit of going wrong under these conditions.

The Honest Johns site pointed out looks to have quite a range and I fall quite near the bottom, which may be down to my driving style or the type of roads of commute on. I've put 98RON in but it didn't give me any measurable improvement.

What type/engine code is in my 2.0 TSi? I was talking to a fella at work about the amount of oil I keep having to top up, he remarked he thought the engine was likely the same as the one in a Golf GTi he used to own - and that also drank oil.

A question for those who've had their car software tuned...

Did you get what you hoped you would?
Where did you get it done?
Was it a generic map or done on a rolling road?

Last edited:

danjwilko

Sep 1, 2016
Fair point mate on the petrol side of life, the tax is done on emissions so could be 5grams less of c02 as it's a newer engine so produces less which would potentially put you in a cheaper tax bracket , it's a mine field with emissions I'm sure they changed it again in 2015.

Anyway all VW engines petrol especially drink oil not really looked into it but I know from experience and I've been told by colleagues friends etc.

And dpf and egr are expensive not to mention the dual mass flywheel stuff.

I'd speak to a well known map/tube company see what they say for your particular model they may have done a few already so could tell you what sort of difference it makes.

Nozzle

Jan 5, 2017
Suffolk
Do you have any suggestions who fits in the "well known" tuning company frame? I don't buy the mags to see the big glossy adverts or the smaller ones in the back pages - all I see is well written websites and hand picked testimonials but not a huge amount of substance :-S Personal recommendations can mean a lot.

Nozzle

Last edited:

danjwilko

Sep 1, 2016
I see what your saying , where abouts are you from?

I'm Lincolnshire way and there is only 1 that's really recommended this way.

Corten Millers they come highly recommended miles round ,they have a Facebook page as well so I'm sure they'll be reviews etc

I've spoken to dark side developments regarding my own Exeo as they were recommended most on the forums but they mostly do diesels. I'd pop a post in the tuning side of the seat forum see who's had it done or any recommendations.

Last edited:

Nozzle

Jan 5, 2017
Suffolk
Thanks for adding this danjwilko.

it looks like Corten Millers don;t do the Rveo gear any more, and do focus on Diesels and DPF removal stuff. I've put a post in the Revo section.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Unfortunately there are not many 2.0 petrol powered Exeo's about to compare against. However looking at the Honest John website for the Audi version of our car with the 2.0 engine it seems your mpg is about right, perhaps at the lower end but that might be due to the shortish commute.

The Exeo is also a heavier car versus Golf Gti's/Leon's which you could compare against. My old Leon Cr 170 would get approx. 5mpg more over the Exeo around town/short journeys :(

Re: the oil usage - that's normal on the 2.0 tfsi engines. As long as it's a reasonable amount - factory figures are 0.5l every 1000km/620miles.

Nozzle

Jan 5, 2017
Suffolk
I can confrim after 18 months of 9 miles commutes on country roads that the Fuelio App (Great!!) reports average fuel consumption of 28 mpg... which is considerably better than the on board computer bothers to report back! (So that's nice). I did get in touch with Revo ref tuning for economy.... not even a "dear John"!

Nozzle