Coil Pack Replacement (DIY) **Picture Heavy**

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would really hope that the equivalent of a dead battery won't lose your remap! Methinks it's a bit more permanent than that though.

The reset isn't strictly necessary, the car will smooth itself out over time and the engine light will eventually go out if it was lit. Even disconnecting the battery won't remove the fault code completely though, the only way to get rid of those is vagcom fault code reset.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I would really hope that the equivalent of a dead battery won't lose your remap! Methinks it's a bit more permanent than that though.

The reset isn't strictly necessary, the car will smooth itself out over time and the engine light will eventually go out if it was lit. Even disconnecting the battery won't remove the fault code completely though, the only way to get rid of those is vagcom fault code reset.

That was my thought too, surely it's not a full reset of the ECU just by unplugging the battery? However I would like to know for sure just in case :)

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
No need to reset the ECU after replacing the coil pack..

Both times I replaced mine I just changed it and drove off (once in a bust stop :D)

joy123

hi guys, great tutorial. thanks . few months ago my seat ibiza 1.2 2003, did change the timing chain had 60k on it, and change all coil pack. now its 70k mile and i am getting this fault code:
2 Faults Found:
16586 - Injector: Cylinder 2 (N31): Circuit Malfunction
P0202 - 35-00 - -
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-00 - -

is it the coil pack you think? its idle raugh and when i am driving its kinda fill like loosing power suddenly and come back again. any help appretiate!!

PS: treid to chage the plug, seems to be very hard to pull off one. so i take off the screw and still find it very hard to pray off the whole plastic assemble.. is it normal?

DAB 100

Mar 25, 2010
Superb guide, will be doing this when I get home tonight.

What are the number of the cylinders looking from the front of the Car? Is Cylinder 1 on the Drivers side?

pezzlauk

just so you know the coil packs are on ebay at a very nice price, this has helped me alot,

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Hi there sorry if this has been covered but I have a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Formula Sport and I'm trying to replace the spark plugs however my engine differs slightly to the one in this step by step. I can't remove coils 1&2 because the oil filler on the top of the engine is obstructing them. Anybody came across this?

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Just grab it and twist it anticlockwise 1/4 a turn and pull it off.

Its on a tab catch type set up.

Mines off as you can see on the pics and the two tabs holding it.

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
altough I have the 1.6 16v it is exact the same method how you change coil packs. great guide!

I don't know whether you guys have it in the UK but the best available based on many Renault and VAG owners are BERU coil packs in the 1.4 16v and the 1.6 16v motors. Be sure to look for them next time you need one.

Kimme

Thanks for this great guide, helped my a lot yesterday.

Changed all three ignition coils and disconnected the battery for 1 hour.
The Car started with one or two cough then fine when idle.
Left it on idle for 15 minutes and then took it for a test drive.

Cars works great, the only problem is that the Engine Diagnostic light still is on.
Tried to disconnected the battery again but didn´t help.

Feel sad if I have to leave it to the dealer and pay a lot of money only to turn the light of.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Best regards

Kim

Kimme

Thanks for this great guide, helped my a lot yesterday.

Changed all three ignition coils and disconnected the battery for 1 hour.
The Car started with one or two cough then fine when idle.
Left it on idle for 15 minutes and then took it for a test drive.

Cars works great, the only problem is that the Engine Diagnostic light still is on.
Tried to disconnected the battery again but didn´t help.

Feel sad if I have to leave it to the dealer and pay a lot of money only to turn the light of.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Best regards

Kim

My colleague hocked up the car to his Samsung Galaxy S3 and erased the codes.
(I don’t have a similar app to my iphone 5, but must get one asap)
Started the car and the light disappeared :)

Struck off the ignition immediately because I was in a hurry back from lunch.

Will be exciting to drive home from work later this afternoon, hopefully the light stays off :)

torby

I'm wondering have I read /interpreted this bit wrong?

(Ie; if you take out No1 cylinder and it runs worse than before its that one thats away.)
Make sure to remove all body parts from the engine bay when starting to prevent any accidents.

Well I thought No1 would be a good place to start, so took it out...as before removal,
engine runs like a dog, light is on, foot on throttle, no power, hunts/revs up and down. So no change there, leads me to believe No1 is dodgy..replace it with new coil (didn't bother with plugs only new 6 mths ago)...no change...mmm

remove No2...same running characteristics as above...mmm could I have 2 dodgy coilpacks?

lets remove No3...same as above...mmm could I have 3 dodgy coilpacks?

I would think with 3 removed and Nos 1 & 2 apparently "dodgy" it wouldn't go at all...lol

but no..still chugs away..

Haven't got access to a cable or laptop yet, but all symptoms (researching on here and elsewhere) match up with what people describe as the failure signs.

If I had 3 faulty coils, replaced 1 so far, I would have expected a tiny improvement (I thought car wouldn't even have started with 3 faulty...lol) so have I missed the obvious? Could there be a faulty sensor or something giving the same symptoms?

thanks for taking a look and any solutions offered...

Attn. Mods, if this would be better posted elsewhere. shift away.......thanks

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Re starting an old thread but iv just had a major service today which included new spark plugs. My stutter/loss of power under harsh acceleration is still happening.
Would this be coil packs?
Seat said no faults came up about any misfiring so do you get any error's with dodgy coils? My light is on but that's only because it's got a de cat on.
Would appreciate some help folks.

Shabobchik

Dec 1, 2012
My leon 1.8 2001 wasnt driving well at all felt like i was going through gears too quick. Took it for a blast and boom engine light on. Coil4 misfire. Straight away to the forum and this post. New coil £21 fitted for free by myself. Reset ecu and it going again. Hopefully thatll sort out the sluggish driving. Great post thanks :)

Shabobchik

Dec 1, 2012
My leon 1.8 2001 wasnt driving well at all felt like i was going through gears too quick. Took it for a blast and boom engine light on. Coil4 misfire. Straight away to the forum and this post. New coil £21 fitted for free by myself. Reset ecu and it going again. Hopefully thatll sort out the sluggish driving. Great post thanks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.