Power steering level

Quidam

May 7, 2012
I checked the power steering fluid level on our 2010 1.4 sport yesterday and found that the fluid barely wet the end of the dipstick so it's obviously needing topped up.

Maybe it's a daft question but in I've never needed to top this stuff up on any car, if I go into the dealer will they supply the right stuff over the counter? I've heard there are different types (red and green).

Also, is there a known weakness is should look for in terms of where the lost fluid has gone? I don't think I've seen any new wet patches on the garage floor!

Cheers!

matty_

Apr 6, 2014
I do believe you will require the green which is mineral oil. Not too sure about the known issues.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Quidam

May 7, 2012
Thanks, I'll pick some up tomorrow. After a bit more investigation I think the pink stuff is screenwash!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One thing to consider, if the fluid is cold, ie car has not been running recently, the correct level mark is almost at the bottom of the dipstick. For your own peace of mind, you should add a very small amount only to return the level to where it should be HOT or COLD - different levels. Though buying a tin of that stuff from a VAG outlet - Skoda/VW/SEAT/Audi all use that fluid in the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza/A2 - should be a bit of overkill, but what else can you do! As the filler/level cap is green, then so should be the cap on the fluid you buy.

Quidam

May 7, 2012
Thanks, I'm thinking of getting some and adding a little and then monitoring the level over the next few days/weeks to see if it is disappearing before deciding on the next move. I have noticed that the steering has become very light in the last week or so but would have thought low fluid would have had the opposite effect!

Quidam

May 7, 2012
Ok so I got some fluid from Seat this morning but before I start topping it can anyone confirm the correct stuff I should be using?

I asked for PAS fluid for a 2010 Ibiza and have got G004000M2, but something tells me its G002000 I need?

Don't want to start mixing up cocktails. Not in there, anyway ;)

Quidam

May 7, 2012
Thanks, couldn't see it in the handbook but I've obviously missed it! Had a good root around under the car today and can't see anything leaking from anywhere so encouraged by that. However I do have a serious screenwash leak from around the bottle for that so that's my weekend project sorted!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe use the search function on this forum or the previous Ibiza model forum as leaking screen washer piping is not a new issue! By doing that you might save some time and get straight to the root cause of your problem - instead of thinking/hoping that you have fixed it only to still have leak(s).

Quidam

May 7, 2012
Thanks, hoping to get a look at it at the weekend. It's still dripping but have been unwell over the holidays so didn't get near it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.