Timing Chain Snapped - Out of Warranty

BobYoung

Hope someone can help me.

I have a 2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2.

It won't start so I have taken it to my local Nationwide Autos garage to look at it. I didn't take it to the main dealer as it is 12 months out of warranty and I have a distinct lack of trust with them given the huge service bills the saddled with me each year.

Nationwide have informed me that it looks like the timing chain has snapped which is apparently a relatively common problem with this model.

I waiting to hear back from the to see if they can sort it out for my and how much it's going to cost :cry:

Given that this seems to be a known problem with the car does anyone reckon it is worth any time or effort trying to get a contribution from Seat towards the repair or is it just tough that its out of warranty and one of those things?

I like my car but this has put me off buying a Seat in the future.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
it is a common fault on the 1.2 to jump a few teeth or snap ring up the dealer and see if some compensation money is possiblle but it all depends how far out of warranty you are (unlikely you will tho)

BeEzA

Oct 3, 2005
Irvine, Scotland
jeez hope this doesnt happen to mine (1.2 also) is it an expensive fix and is it likely to cause damage elsewhere?

sorry to hear about it mate

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Somebody i know had a new engine from land rover because his engine blew because of a known design fault. It had 100% service history and the car had 120k miles on the clock and was fully paid for by land rover. So it can be done.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
i reckon its worth asking!

try at the dealer first, then try SEAT head office, making them aware that its a very common breakdown / design fault.

if it is that common, SEAT will be well aware of it by the amount of replacements / repairs they have had to do!

Last edited:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Common fault with the engine across the VW range. Mine happened 3 weeks out of warranty!

Speak to customer services, 0500 222 222 (yup, I know it off by heart I've rung em that many times) they've been helpful with me and I got half back what was payed for the repairs (I didn't know it was a common fault at the time)

Poverty

Common vault on the VAG 1.2's so dont let it put you off buying another seat.

Pressure VAG to cough up the costs.

Is there anything that can be looked out for before it happens? Our 1.2 is on 30k miles and 5 years old.

I dont think there is but I would get it changed before you hit 40k to be on the safe side!

BobYoung

Thanks for all your comments.

I have spoke to seat customer service and they have told me that I would need to take it to the main dealer so they can look at it and they might be able to organize a goodwill contribution after this.

The reason I didn't take it to the main dealer in the first place is because i have had some bad customer service experiences with them in the past. Additionally, my 2nd year service at the main dealer cost £480, I don't know enough about cars to know if this was a raw deal but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have been given a quote of £400 - £450 to get this sorted at nationwide so its not the end of the world. I know for a fact that if the same work that I am told needs doing was done at the main dealer then the dealers labour rate would probably double this.

Its my lack of trust of the main dealer that is the problem. I have no confidence that if I took it there now (I would also have to arrange for it to be towed 15 miles) then I would be any better off. Furthermore, there is no guarantee I will get a goodwill payment and if the labour at the main dealer is more than Nationwide then it will proably cost me the same even if Seat do contribute half!

I think I will see how Nationwide go on.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Dont 2003 Ibizas come with 5 years Seat assist? They should be able to recover your car to a dealer of your choice!

Might be worth giving that route a go and taking it to another localish dealer. A few phone calls could save you a few hundred notes!

How many miles had you done when they did the second annual service and did they have to replace brakes etc?

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
There is no way I would pay a penny towards a known fault that had been serviced to Seat's guidelines.

Do you have legal cover with your house contents or car insurance? If so, I would exercise that.

There are people with Audis who, due to their design fault of being too soft have a lifetime agreement with Audi that they will replace any bent alloys. You just need to be a bit pushy with them.

Lordy

Tommmineh, When you got 1/2 the money back from SEAT for the repair of your Timing Belt, had you got the repair work done at a SEAT dealer or was it done through a different garage. SEAT won't give me a penny as a private garage carried out the work! (It was stuck in their workshop after it's annual service though!!!) SEAT said I should have taken it to them, Hindsight is great isn't it!!

Lordy

gemini2205

Timing Chain Fault

Hi, new to site, so bear with me. Car wouldn't start mid December - it turns out the timing chain has jumped and now further inspection has found that the cylinder head (3 cylinders) has been damaged, 1 totally, 1 not so bad, 1 ok - I am the 2nd owner and have had since August 2006 - bought from a SEAT dealer and nothing was ever said about their being a fault with the timing chain - have done approx 8k miles since it became mine - always fully serviced etc.... mileage 36k in total. I have taken to a local VAT reg and VAG trained garage as the original dealer is some 200 miles away as I moved away recently from the area I bought it. Knowing that is a known fault surely someone should be responsibile for any repairs ... i have since been told the timing chain has been modified which is an indication that the original was at fault. Have yet to find out the final cost for repair as cylinder head needs to be sent away. I took out mechanical breakdown insurance which I should be covered for the life of ownership. My warranty is no longer with the original deal as it was valid for one year only. Don't know what the mechanical breakdown insurance company will say yet so may be jumping the gun but just wanted to get a feel for thoughts on this problem which is a known problem and is it worth pursuing to get costs covered if the insurance won't pay up. Not a good start to the new year. Cheers

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I would be quite confident that your insurance will cover it

it is a pretty fundamental mechanical breakdown after all

if not there is always the seat good will 50/50 that some people have got

good luck with it :)

gemini2205

thanks for your quick response - it gives me hope - I will know more tomorrow

cheers

Lordy

gemini, exactly the same thing happened to me and it cost me a total of £480, just before Christmas!!! SEAT did mention the goodwill payment, but as I didn't get it repaired at a SEAT dealership(it was stuck in the garage that had just serviced my car), they won't give me a penny, am very pi**ed off to say the least! The fact it wasn't fixed at an approved dealer is there only reason for no payment!

Am trying to get proof that it is a design fault and that SEAT know about it (well they have issued a modified part!) and going to see if I can take it further. Good luck and any info you can send to me would be greatlly appreciated! Lordy

gemini2205

i will keep you informed once I know if my mechanical breakdown insurance will cover - I spoke to a SEAT dealer when the problem first occurred but they weren't very helpful and almost wanted to wash their hands of it. I think from all the messages on this form and the very fact that the part in question has been modified points to there being a fault in the beginning. Will keep you posted - what a bugger and appreciate how p*ssed off you are, I am there too. If only, when I had bought the car originally I knew about this I could have prevented this happening and/or further damage being done. Cheers Lordy

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members