1.2 Timing Issue and Query..

attneck

Hi all, first post, and I have tried searching first admittedly, tired from todays Volksfest in bristol so even managed to do my username wrong, oops. should read Matt initially doh!

More to the point, we've got a mates 1.2 sport 2002 (new shape) here (forgive my lack of SEAT knowledge, im a mk2 golf boy heheh.) Basically we think it's done the uual jumping chain breaking the tensioner that seems all so common. Theres some shards of metal in cylinder 2 also, sat atop the piston so the ehad is coming off with an expected damaged valve(s) from it going out of time. my mate i happy to do the chaina nd that, he's pretty happy he knows what he is doing, but we would like to be able to go from a few instructions, also need to know how to actually time it up, considering its a chain and that.. belt on my golf, no worries, so this is a new one on me, not to him, but again, we just want some backup from some better knowledge :)

oh, its only got 40k on it also.. and a broken near side window regulator which sounds like another common one..

all we know so far really is, the chain and the tensioner need doing - but then we need to know how to time it and the head needs to come off to be checked, and find what the metal shards are..

thanks all, hope to get some useful advice to hep our mate out :D

attneck

p.s. there is no compression on cylinder 2, the cylinder where the metal was spotted through the spark plug mounting hole on the head

attneck

Shite, really? Everything I'm reading here though say about it being repairable, anda common problem? Admittedly we haven't opened it up yet.. Haven't had the time to to discover it, that was just from reading here what i thought it may have been

Considering theres little bits of metal in C2, would that be a broken valve quite possibly? and what are the chances of it actully jumping.. it was fine then wouldnt start, isnt there a portection that stops its starting, to stop it jumping?

I take it it worth taking the ehad off to start with, anyway, and try and see whats going on..

ubiquitous

Same thing happened to mine, catastrophic failure of the timing chain.

Just been carted off to an indy for 4 days......... and £800 :blink:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.