Ibiza 20vt engines mods

gilmors

Checked the site out a bit more, good to see so many helpful and informed answers to technical questions. I have had my Ibiza 20vt for a few months and have been looking at engines mods. Spent an afternoon at RSD and drove their 210bhp Ibiza, came away impressed. What I want to know is if I get the motor chipped to 195bhp, will the standard brake/suspension set-up be up to the job? Any comments appreciated.

Simon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gilmors (edited 31 July 2001).]

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
Simon,

Tony@RSD told me whilst he was running round in the demo for a couple of months..he never once felt any brake fade.

BUT.....myself and a few others who have had the conversion done...have immediately uprated the brake set up to cope.

The demo you had a go in used AP Racing 4 pots..costing about £1500.

Their recommended upgrade is Tarox G88 Grooved and Vented discs..with Greeenstuff pads.

I've had them for about 6 weeks now...and they are much better than the standard rubbish. In my opinion, the standard SEAT stuff WILL NOT COPE AT ALL with an engine upgrade.

As for the suspension..mine is still standard. And to be honest, it does ok.

Adjustable Bilsteins are available for about £800. But thats a lot of money.

You have been warned about the brakes matey!!!

Lee

------------------

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Is it the brakes which are'nt up to it or just the stock Seat pad material?
the 280(ish) sized disks should be well up to it for clamping, so maybe a swap of pad material to something like Pagid fast road ones, will improve things.

I drove the std ibiza cupra and the converted one (with the Tarox) and the Tarox setup did have a lot of bite, but I did'nt push either of them anywhere near their limit on the test drives.. (too many other cars on the road and the Ibiza was too quick catching them !!)

Anyone just swapped pads?
regards
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.badger5.co.uk

rriveroll

Jun 16, 2001
Caracas, Venezuela
Visit site
I upgraded my brake Calipers, Discs to Seat Sport. The Brakes are exactly the same size and shape as the original, but they do have different part numbers. They make a HUGE difference. They use Ferodo brake pads and in my opinion they are almost too powerfull. The brake feel is much more rigid and they dont ever fade.

I compared the braking power with a friend that has the AP 4 Pot Calipers in an Audi A3 and they seem to brake just as hard. The Seat Sport brakes cost US$2000 front and rear.

The only thing I would change is the Ferodo brake pads for something made out of Carbon/Kevlar like Cool Carbon brake pads. When driving in the track the Ferodo brake pads tend to overbrake during turn-in. I would trade off a litle power for progressiveness and I´m sure the Cool Carbon pads will do the job. Ive had them before in a BMW M3 and they are by far the best pads Ive tested. They have a ceramin insulator layer that separates the brake material from the metal so that heat does not get into the brake fluid. They squeel a little, are a little dirty in dust but I dont really mind that.

------------------

gilmors

Thanks for the info Lee. The RSD Ibiza did have the big brake kit fitted as you say. I guess I could start with fast road pads and see how it goes.

------------------

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
I ran Standard Discs with Pagids Fast Road pads for about 3 weeks (needed them for a track thrashing).

If you don't like cleaning wheels...i suggest you stay well away from Pagids...cos boy were they bloody dirty! Every week my wheels turned to black..it was not funny!

They were ok...but the combo of Pagids with Std disc didn't work for me i feel.

Tarof G88's and Greenstuffs are far better.

The std pads ARE CRAP!!!

------------------

gilmors

How about EBC Greenstuff REg 90 kevlar pads on standard discs, anyone tried these or got any comments as an upgrade from stock pads?
They are supposed to be virtually dust free!

------------------

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I'd have to say Pagids on my G60 VW brakes are superb, but these run on 280mm disks which are cross drilled.
My wheels are matt black though, so "what dust?" I can't tell now.
Mintex dusted up more as I remember, when I had silver wheels.

I'll reserve judgement on the EBC's for when I get my new Ibiza... but I have been dissapointed before.
Time will tell, and the road test felt very sharp on Tarox/EBC combo.

regards
bill
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.badger5.co.uk

mr x

" How about EBC Greenstuff REg 90 kevlar pads on standard discs, anyone tried these or got any comments as an upgrade from stock pads?
They are supposed to be virtually dust free!"

i used to have these, they worked just fine (ie excellent) with standard discs!
the dust free thing is a bit of a myth, they do dust up - maybe not as bad as some, but they aint dust 'free'.
these are a great first upgrade - do the pads, then if your not convinced, do the discs later - you cant lose.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
ebc have brought out the "version 4" green stuff which is said to be less dusty and bite harder from cold. ive got ebc discs and pads and can't fault them at least twice as good as standard,even better when i fit goodridge hoses too.

------------------

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it will, but I thought I'd already said that...

You will need to take the flywheel from your ABF engine and put it on the 20VT

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.