Pastywagon sprint dates 2010 - Overall championship win!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Think we need an SCN day at Curby on the long track ;)

cheers chaps - very pleased with progress

more analysis as the full class times are published - you cannot really compare yourself with cars in other classes as pukka racing cars are MILES faster, and correspondingly, pukka road cars are miles slower.

for the overall championship, points are awarded within a class, you are not judged against cars in other classes

for saloon cars, the pecking order is generally

1. Totally standard
2. Road modified - usually very well developed cars with powerful motors, but running regular road tyres (not even trackdays tyres allowed). Full interiors and glass windows.
3. Modified production - no interiors and plastic windows but not usually any more developed than good road modified cars. Extra performance from being able to use any tyres, slicks etc
4. Sports libra - cars that look like saloon cars but are spaceframe specials with any engine etc - sometimes VERY quick, sometimes home built and fall apart on the startline

I dont get beaten by road mod cars these days but occasionally at the bigger events a real cracker turns up with a touring car engine in it and gets quite close, even on road tyres

a SCN day at Curby would be a lot of fun - we have done it in the past and Jase got the flymo trophy :D:clap:

fantastic day out

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Latest - 48mm badger bodies now on order - first of their kind I believe

(if it all works, I will have some 45's for sale)

To be fitted with some very cool 48mm duratec rampipes - pics soon

To be fitted with some very nice modern injectors:

8__36737_thumb.jpg

Bosch EV6 'green giants' - P/N 0 280 155 968 - 14-ohm modern duel cone injector to replace the Cossie garden hoses that I have been using previously

Calc:

280hp needs 322cc petrol/min (100% duty cycle) or 402cc/min (80% duty cycle)
these flow 440cc at 3bar, 465cc at 3.8 bar, and I will probably run them at 4 bar so there is plenty of capacity in them

exciting :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Nice one Rob.
How did the rear window hold up?
What did you do to it this time? Belt and braces lol

Is there a rev 2 undertray coming along with brake ducting in it?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Nice one Rob.
How did the rear window hold up?
What did you do to it this time? Belt and braces lol

Is there a rev 2 undertray coming along with brake ducting in it?

rear window has stayed in so far - stronger glue ;) - have ordered some new rear windows for fitting a different way over this winter so its only got to last until then

I am considering the brake ducting presently before I get the floor made from carbon/kevlar - dont want to do that twice (££) so need to make my experiments on the plywood version

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Latest - Badger-5 DTH 48's fitted along with new injectors, fuel rail and various fuel fittings. Ram pipes are sleeved down Skoda Motorsport items that were originally 50mm bore - very nice items being billet-ali rather than the usual spun-ali. First set of DTH 48's that have been produced I believe.

As always - excellent input and support given from Billo at Badger-5; cheers bud :thumbup:

New exhaust manifold ordered but has been delayed so car will have to go to RR without it for now - this can be added to the mix over the winter.

RR figs coming soon.

48s.jpg

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Nope - full steam ahead still - next one Aintree Sat 4th Sept. A decent finish will see a good championship placing all being well.

Had a couple of delays with work, setting up new throttle bodies, and a cracked sump, but all sorted again now. Just need a new battery as the old one has died (after 6 yrs), but that will be with me Monday fingers crossed.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
New Rimz to try out some Michelin hillclimb slicks - 20/61/17, radials, in supersoft S5B compound

I have seen this referred to as 'berg' compound so am guessing it has been developed with some Berg Cup runners (German hillclimb champs).

This is the same size tyre as the latest clio cup cars use. They also do a 24/61/17 but this is probably a touch too big for the rear of my car, and I want to use the same size tyre all round so that they can be rotated and all worn out as a set.

Rimz are Team Dynamics Pro Race 8x17, and look fantastic IMO [B)]

DSC01796.jpg

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
New battery fitted on shelf where rear seats normally are - Odyssey Racing 30 - a bit bigger than the last PC625 but with a bit more capacity for 2-day sprint events.

battery.jpg

Bought myself a gas-powered soldering iron for modifying the power leads - excellent piece of kit!

Provisional entry list has come through for next weekend at Aintree - gonna be a good one - class 3A (mod prod 1400) amalgamated with 3B (mod prod 1400-2000). No big deal you would think. Except for the only car in 3A is the seriously developed Mini of Martin Depper - 3A course record holder! Also entered is the double-driven Pug 206 of Bobby Fryers / Mark Teale. This is a very serious car with touring car levels of prep and a rumoured 280hp Longman engine in it. Usually they run this in roadgoing 1B, but for some reason they have gone for 3B this time so are probably coming with slicks or 1Bs fitted.

Previous times - my PB last time at Aintree 51.10
Martin Depper 3A record last time he was at Aintree also I seem to recall - 51.18
206 on road tyres 52.79 - might easily be a couple secs quicker on better tyres

2904538247_f00528930d.jpg

sbd_motorsport_british_sprint_championship_croft_2009_14976.jpg

Above from a round of the British Sprint Champs at Croft

Its going to be close......very exciting

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Cracking day - 2 personal bests and 3b class win - beat the pug by 6-tenths - result. More details when the full results become available tomorrow or Monday, and some pics. Need to sleep now....totally shattered.

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
The mini was sensational - last time out he broke the 3a course record with a 51.18. This time he did a barely believable 50.20......never seen anything like it......smashed a course record by a second.......major respect. History in the making. No-one will get near that for years.

Although he was amalgamated with 3b on the day, championship points are still awarded on a by-class basis. Hence my main target for the day was the pug.

The mini's motivation? he was in second place overall in the Midland Speed Champs and needed to do this to have a chance of taking the title. And I dont think he quite did it.......we still await the official results though.

ps - heard on good authority today that the pug actually has 288hp....blimey.

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Now then. Writeup time.

After missing Curborough due to a busted sump, I needed to have a good day at Aintree to score some championship points. Division 2 is for entrants competing in a maximum of 6 rounds, with best 5 scores to count. Division 1 is for something like 12 rounds which I just dont have the time to do. So to stand any chance in Division 2, you really do need 5 good scores.

Aintree was run by Liverpool and Chester Motor Club who put on an excellent event. They are very organised and the whole thing is very slick. The clark of the course said that they are one of a very few clubs that are able to get 700 starts in a single day at a sprint venue.

The weather looked like it was going to stay dry, fingers crossed.

Class 3b (1400-2000 modified production) had a good entry of 9 cars and included the Class 3a Mini of Martin Depper (see above). Martin was amalgamated with 3b as he was the only entrant in 3a. He is also the course record holder in 3a, and lay second overall in the very competitive Midland Speed Championships. So a top car and driver to contend with.

The other car that looked like a major contender was the Peugeot 206 of Mark Teale / Bobby Fryers. This is a really well put together car, rumoured to have cost £40-50K, and with a 288hp Longman touring car spec engine in it. They usually run in class 1B on road tyres but due to loads of argy-bargy going on in that class this year, following unclear rule changes, they were in 3b for this weekend and running on better tyres than usual. Double driven is a major advantage in sprinting as one of the pairing gets to run on warm tyres at some point during the day.

Other cars included:
a very nicely prepared 106 GTI from engine builders LAD, with Andy Larton at the wheel
John Moxham's 205 GTI - always about on the money, and with a load of experience
Dave Read's newly finished Mk2 golf gti on throttle bodies
Bruce McKie 205 GTI with a range of new slicks to try out

Previous personal bests were 2.64 / 51.10 / 124mph (64ft time; finish time; finish speed)

P1 - 2.87, 53.82, 121 - checking everything was ok
P2 - 2.78, 52.19, 121 - feeling good, turn the dampers up a bit harder and time to go for it!
T1 - 2.66, 51.03, 121 - stonker - new PB! - bring it on!
T2 - 2.70, 51.08, 121 - also better than old PB so still happy
LUNCH
T3 - 2.68, 51.96, 120 - took it a bit easier after lunch as some tyre temp had disappeared
T4 - 2.60, 51.13, 121 - new 64ft PB

So how did the others do?

1. The Mini. Absolutely amazing run, smashing his own class record by over a second. Major respect. 2.40, 50.20, 111.
2. Me :funk:[B)]
3. Pug 206. 2.76, 51.60, 119
4. Pug 205. 2.60, 52.06, 120

Full results can be seen here:

http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/wp-content/uploads/Final-Results-September-2010.pdf

Pictures here:

http://www.bigimagephotos.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=2965

And to the drum roll......

How's the championship going?

With 2 rounds to go, I am leading Division 2 overall.

CUMMON YOU BEAUTY! :funk:

Championship standings:

http://www.speedchampionship.com/wp...peed-Championship-Scores-after-R15-to-R18.pdf

Ave it

Rob

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members