Leon Fr 170 tdi vs ibiza fr 1.9 tdi remapped

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
i have a remapped ibiza fr tdi remapped to 170bhp. Just wondering if this will be quicker or slower than a standard leon fr tdi 170bhp. I am asking this question as i am thinking about getting a leon fr and just want to know what kind of performance drop / incline i will see

thanks

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
IMHO - not having driven a chipped ibiza FR its going to be a guess, but i'd say that the Ibiza would be slower perhaps about the same overall as the leon.

Correct me if i'm wrong but as standard they are 130? With a chip perhaps near 170?

The 170 Leons all seem to be coming in around 180 on the rolling roads, + the fact that the power delivery is all much smoother and progressive throughout the rev range rather than the "nothing nothing TURBO!!!!!" mode of the older 1.9 engines.

But to be fair, without a back to back comparison its going to be hard to judge.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
The torque from a remap would be significantly higher than a standard FR.
As mentioned above the lighter weight of the Ibiza would make it have the upper hand.

I had a remapped Fabia vRS(130) before my Leon 140 Sport.
The torque from the vRS (410Nm) was fantastic compared with the Leon (320Nm). I believe the FR is 350Nm standard.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Ibiza definitely faster, as mentioned by Jace, its much lighter. May not keep up on top speed due to aerodynamics but would be faster. I have a leon 170 fr and a 130 ibiza Not mapped either and there isn`t much in it unless you go over say 90mph (on a private road ) the Leon starts to pull much stronger there. imo:whistle: The standard torque is 229 on a ibiza compared to 258 on the leon so not far behind, before mapping

DIESELDAVE

Feb 2, 2005
i have a remapped ibiza fr tdi remapped to 170bhp. Just wondering if this will be quicker or slower than a standard leon fr tdi 170bhp. I am asking this question as i am thinking about getting a leon fr and just want to know what kind of performance drop / incline i will see

thanks

Ive had a fabia vrs (celtic tuning remap) and drove a leon Fr tdi ( my sisters car) and there is not much in it at all, fabia had a big kick when turbo kicked in but the fr was much smoother...i couldnt call it to be honest....we have had a few spirited drives and and neither car pulls away from the others!

The fabia did feel faster but prob due to the big turbo kick !

rpmleon

RPM
Sep 9, 2007
Bedfordshire

thanks

Easy. Take the FR TDi 170 for a test drive and form your own opinion. Bearing in mind that you could afford to "remap" your Ibiza, just think what you could do with a remapped Leon :D:D

Just remember. If you do not do a lot of miles note the problems which "some" owners of leon FR TDI's have experienced with the "DPF" system. (Various threads available!)

RPM

MrHooky

Hi there. I know this is a late reply to the thread, although I used to have a 2004 Ibiza FR remapped. The remap was supposed to be running at 167bhp which was a Superchips remap. It certainly felt good for that power, as it used to beat my fathers Octavia VRS MKI which was remapped to around 210bhp.

I now have a Leon FR TDI which has is still being run in. Currently 600 miles on the clock. I am finding it difficult to compare the both due to having a Megane 225 inbetween, however currently I think the Ibiza felt faster once the turbo has come on boost, although the Leon a lot smoother. To 60 I think the Ibiza will be quicker but only just, due to weight. I am however looking forward to the Leon being 'loosened' up as the 8,000 miler which I test drove certainly felt quicker than mine at the moment.

You've got to think about the whole driving experience at the end of the day. The Leon FR is a great looking car, and is very refined. There is a lot of standard kit and it very quiet at speed. Only thing which I think is bizarre, is that despite the 2.0TDI being a newer engine, it sounds even more like a Transit van than the Ibiza. Does anyone else think this?

I only hope my FR TDI is one of these monsters kicking out well in excess of it 170 claimed. Once I have done some a couple of thousand, i'll have it on a RR. Does anyone have an idea of when fully loosened up? I understand not an instant transformation, although I hope it soon starts to feel like the one I test drove!

MrHooky

Hi there. I know this is a late reply to the thread, although I used to have a 2004 Ibiza FR remapped. The remap was supposed to be running at 167bhp which was a Superchips remap. It certainly felt good for that power, as it used to beat my fathers Octavia VRS MKI which was remapped to around 210bhp.

I now have a Leon FR TDI which has is still being run in. Currently 600 miles on the clock. I am finding it difficult to compare the both due to having a Megane 225 inbetween, however currently I think the Ibiza felt faster once the turbo has come on boost, although the Leon a lot smoother. To 60 I think the Ibiza will be quicker but only just, due to weight. I am however looking forward to the Leon being 'loosened' up as the 8,000 miler which I test drove certainly felt quicker than mine at the moment.

You've got to think about the whole driving experience at the end of the day. The Leon FR is a great looking car, and is very refined. There is a lot of standard kit and it very quiet at speed. Only thing which I think is bizarre, is that despite the 2.0TDI being a newer engine, it sounds even more like a Transit van than the Ibiza. Does anyone else think this?

I only hope my FR TDI is one of these monsters kicking out well in excess of it 170 claimed. Once I have done some a couple of thousand, i'll have it on a RR. Does anyone have an idea of when fully loosened up? I understand not an instant transformation, although I hope it soon starts to feel like the one I test drove!

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
My neighbour has a standard PD130 Beeza and until higher speed (80) there's nothing in it. He always runs on fumes though where mine is always nearly full.