ignition coil?!?!

shanegticupra

hi, i was happily sat in traffic earlier and my car jus decided to cut out!!! it would restart, it was turning over but not firing up! i got the recovery out and they said it might be the ignition coil!!

this happened to anyone? anyone else think its the ignition coil and how much it would cost to get a new one?
thanks

shane

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
got my coilpack from ECP for about 25£
mine used to cut/stutter when ever the revs dropped, ie, when ur in first, and dip the clutch when u come to a stand still, or changing to 2nd

shanegticupra

nah that didnt happen to mine, it was fine and then just died. i think i best go get the fault codes read, seems like it could me a number of things!!! any more ideas would be appreciated. thanks
shane

ibiza 1.8 GTI

my cars was fworking fine turned it off at a cruise went 2 leave and wouldent start, we couldent find the prob but turned out the coil packed in! i bought the coil and the igniter sep cost me around £60/70 for both. i have 1 in my garage off a 2ltr 16v i broke few months back, pm me if ya want it :)

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
Had two go on mine within a year. First time was intermittent cutting out with drop of revs for months then eventually came back to it in the petrol station and turning but not firing. Second time, just died coming off a roundabout with no warning signs at all.

Sure I was £80 for the coil pack, but simple job to DIY once you get one. Two bolts and a plug in lead.

shanegticupra

News!!! i went to start it today, just to try and it started fine!!! what the hell?!?! could it still be the coil?! and what should i do now? still change it ??

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
id change it, it happend to my cordy, i had those problems for a few months b4 the coil totally died. mine was only about £30 and you could prob fit it your self.

best to get it changed now rather than break down.

check your leads first tho and ensure no damp in plugs. could also be caused by damp arching the spark.

Last edited:

shanegticupra

yea im thinking it could of been the wet because it was pi**in down when it happened and has been fine since its been dry. think i might see what happens next time it rains and if its ok then ill change the coil, if not then ill see what i can do about the damp. cheers
shane

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
mine too, start fine one minute and then not start, even time between filling up with petrol and coming back out to it on the forecourt.
coil and clean throttle body did the trick

shanegticupra

still hasnt happened again yet, then again it hasnt rained yet so im thinking it might be the damp, alothough sometimes it takes longer to fire up than it used to. you mentioned cleaning the throttle body, i have some of that powertec foam cleaner, i used it on my old car, i might put that through see if it helps atall. think im still going to change the coil too, where can i get one from? think id try and fit it myself, apparantly quite easy?! thanks
shane

shanegticupra

andyj said:
Coil is a piece of p1ss to change !!! ;)

Got a spare sat in my garage if you want to make me an offer ;)

cool how much? and is it new?
shane

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
It's 'used' but in good working order. I had it on my Cordoba, and swapped it for a new unit to try and cure the 'cutting out' problem I was having, but it turned out to be the ECU Control Relay!

Call it £15 + p&p (will probably be a couple of quid as it's quite heavy)....

That sound ok ?

Cheers,
Andy

shanegticupra

andyj said:
It's 'used' but in good working order. I had it on my Cordoba, and swapped it for a new unit to try and cure the 'cutting out' problem I was having, but it turned out to be the ECU Control Relay!

Call it £15 + p&p (will probably be a couple of quid as it's quite heavy)....

That sound ok ?

Cheers,
Andy

yea sounds good to me! how do you want me to pay?
have you got a paypal account? or i can send you a cheque?!
cheers mate,
shane

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members