Review: Snowfoams

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
I have pulled togther five different types of snowfoams. My aim being to test the different aims of these foams, and show the differences and their uses.

The Foams:

Snowfoamtest.jpg

Left to right:
1- Valet Pro Orange Pre wash
2- Autosmart XL TFR
3- Espuma TFR with Rinse Aid
4- Valet Pro Snowfoam
5- Auto Rae Chem Snowfoam with Wax

To try to also compare these products as best I can I have aimed to keep as many aspects of the test as stable as possible. Therefore, all products have been mixed 5:1, all will be used through the standard foam gun on the same foam setting and the karcher pressure washer.

To test the foams I have three vehicles to present them on. The Silver cars will be used to test the TFR and pre wash foams, with the snowfoam and snowwax being tested on the FD van. My reasons for this will become very clear as the test continues.

Vehicle one: VW Sharan - last waxed eight months ago, and has Collinite 845IW on it. Full pic and closer pic (drivers door panel) to show current level of water beading:

Snowfoamtest1.jpg

Snowfoamtest2.jpg

Vehicle Two: Subaru Forster - last waxed eight nonths ago, and has Collinite 915 on it. Full pic and closer pic (bonnet panel) to show current level of water beading:

Snowfoamtest3.jpg

Snowfoamtest4.jpg

Vehicle Three: FD van - last waxed about three weeks ago and has about three wax layers on it - Divine, XMT180, Nattys Red.

Snowfoamtest5.jpg

Snowfoamtest6.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Conclusion - comments, observations and thoughts:

1- Valet Pro Orange Pre wash

The thickest foam of the three TFR/pre washes. Had the longest dwell time, but also required the most water to rinse off due to the thicker foam. Smell was ok too.

2- Autosmart XL TFR

A fairly weak foam, and didn't stay for very long, and must not be allowed to dry on the car either. Rinsed off easier tho.

3- Espuma TFR with Rinse Aid

Appears to sit bewteen the XL and Ornage pre-wash for foam thickness and also staying power. The rinse aid showed through in the rinsing off and also the amount of surface water left behind.

4- Valet Pro Snowfoam

By far the thickest foam of the test, lasted the longest and also created the biggest grin for fun factor.

5- Auto Rae Chem Snowfoam with Wax

Not as thick as the straight snowfoam, but far exceeded the standard faom with regards to water beading afterwards.

Which foam for which task?

If you want a good pre-wash to sit and dwell for five mins - Valet Pro orange!

If you want a pre-wash for easy rinse off to save water and not loose performance - The Espuma with Rinse Aid.

If you want a good thick foam to use for washing the car with a mitt - Valet Pro Snowfoam

If you want a foam to leave added protection on the paintwork - Auto Rae Chem Snowfoam with Wax.

Most manufactureres produce each of these types of products, eg a foam with wax retc, so brands isn't an issue in my mind. What I have tried to do is show which foam can be used for which task.

Last comment I would say, the TFR were not terminal on the wax layer, not completely stripping it away, but did greatly reduce any wax protection which was remaining.

I hope this has been of use, its taken me an age to compile and I had to the re-wax the VW and Subaru as a result!

Thanks for reading

Iain

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
nice write up Ian.

i have a karcher foam lance and some Supa snow foam that is use. i know you have not included this prduct within your review, but i would like to ask your opinion on it.

Basically i think its a load of poo, i use pleantly of the stuff, it foams nice and thick (i leave it for 5 - 10 min) then rinse off with the pressure washer, but to me it does not really remove any of the surface dirt.
i hear people rant and rave about how good this stuff is but i just dont see the results myself.

is there something i am doing wrong or am expecting far too much from a cleaning product.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i use auto glym UGP (ultra gloss protection (their sealant))
then use a liquid wax from megs. u usually apply every 1-2 months. depending on weather etc

gogs

Nov 21, 2009
Where did you get your foam connection, I've tried two now designed for Karcher, first was a pain to fit and leaked like hell, second is a pain to fit....infact it wont even go on!

bargibin

Good wright up I enjoyed reading that! I personally use the Valet Pro Snowfoam and it does what I want it to.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.