Advanced Member Search

Mat

Is it possible to search members by location? I know you are lookin at a software/forum upgrade soon, but I wondered if it was possible on the current version, and also something you may want to add on the new one.

Basically, when sending PMs regarding local meets, it would be handy to be able to search for members with your area who may not be aware of such meets.

I usually add people to my buddies list when I see they're local, but sometimes forget lol

Cheers

Mat

fair point, but it's just that I send a PM about a week before a meet as a reminder. Would be useful to search for members locally

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The added problem is that location is just a text string - so people can put anything - see Andycupra's above.

In the new version, I think you'll be able to set up local 'groups' that you can subscribe to.

Last edited:

Mat

I know that in theory you can put anything down. but you could still filter all "chesterfield" members, "rotherham" etc

the people with "somewhere in the middle" & "between a hard place and a rock", you'll just have to get to know them and find out where they roughly are lol

Anyway, the new version sounds promising.

jtonline

www.jtonline.info
As I understand it, a user with Admin rights can change a setting within this forum software that adds the Location field to the searchable fields in the Members List.

Code:
AdminCP ->
User Profile Fields ->
User Profile Field Manager -> {{ Location }} -> 
Edit -> 
Field Searchable on Members List: [B]Yes[/B]

Seems like a good idea.

Mat

I know there was a link to that map thing. But last time i looked (about 6 months ago), it wasn't up to date. Even I wasn't on there

Mat

where's the link again. Maybe i'll add myself :harhar:

Edit:

Found it (pinned top of page)

:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Is it possible to search members by location? I know you are lookin at a software/forum upgrade soon, but I wondered if it was possible on the current version, and also something you may want to add on the new one.

Basically, when sending PMs regarding local meets, it would be handy to be able to search for members with your area who may not be aware of such meets.

I usually add people to my buddies list when I see they're local, but sometimes forget lol

Cheers

Would be a fantastic idea, as myself and Olaf have tried to organise meets, and this would be great for finding local members.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
The added problem is that location is just a text string - so people can put anything - see Andycupra's above.

In the new version, I think you'll be able to set up local 'groups' that you can subscribe to.

If people don't put their location in, its there choice. And probably because they don't wanna be found, so it therefore follows that anyone who adds there location, doesn't mind being found i woukld guess, so people searching by location wouldn't offend them.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The new software is literally round the corner - we're just finalising some details

I won't support "spam" from members - it's unsolicited & therefore not permitted

However, there will be user joinable 'groups' that this function may well perform.

Mat

Quick question (might be a bit daft)

Will we actually "visually" notice a difference? Will the forum still have the same template or will it be given a lightly different look, possibly even a new makeover?

Are you also using the same forum software still? I gather you are?

Mat

cool.

should be good to see then.

goin slightly off topic - is the front page gonna get re-done to match? At the moment it seems to be a "seperate" thing, if that makes sense. Just wondered if the two would tie in together a little better (as in colour scheme etc)

caveo

On another vw forum you have a UK map with dots and when you scroll over them you see the members name and location .

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members