What is clay ?

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
And wot does it do - looking at the threads on here eveyone uses it but I don't know why ?!!

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
clay is used to remove surface contamination, like dried on tree sap, pollen, and tar. By cleaning the surface correctly this then allows you to progress and start to clean and prepare the deeper paint/lacquer.

When machine polishing a car, its an absolute must and a stage which cannot and should never be excluded.

Drea

Drea
Jan 16, 2010
Plymouth
and how do you use it? Just wipe the blob all over your car, or roll it? Or dab it like you would do with sellotape to get fluff off?

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
i used it for the first time on friday...stuff works great, i spent about 15mins a panel rubbing the clay over them like you would do with a sponge when washing your car.the end result was amazing,car was shining like never before and the paintwork felt like glass...only bad thing is it started raining so i didnt get a chance to put my wax on after claying :(

but clay is a must for anyone who wants a shiney car...;)

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
knead the clay into a small peice about the size of a golf ball, spray lots of clay lub onto the paint, and glide the flat clay over the panel in straight lines. Once the clay glides freely, move to next section. If face becomes dirty, re-knead for clean side, never use a dropped piece as it will srcatch!!!

enjoy

gogs

Nov 21, 2009
Can you get away with water as a lub or does that defeat the purpose.

Mat

Bilt Hamber can be used with water alone.... Not heard of any others that can

All other clays require either "Clay Lubricant" or "Quick Detailer".... Alternatively, you can make your own "QD" by filling a bottle up with water and some car wash shampoo

gogs

Nov 21, 2009
Is it just to take the edge off the clay as in making it less harsh on the paint?

jason2800

no,

basically, if you use clay without any form of lube, it can seriously marr your paint, leaving it horrible looking, and in need of professional correction.

dont be afraid to do it though, just use plenty lube if you feel the need to

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.