"Copy & Paste" welcomes

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Is it really necessary to "Copy and Paste" a greeting into every introduction thread you can find?

It may help you get your post count up but it's bloody annoying when you hit the New Posts button and are greated with a full page of "Welcomes" all from the same person and all with exactly the same greeting.

Is it just me that it annoys?

Discuss..............

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Is it really necessary to "Copy and Paste" a greeting into every introduction thread you can find?

It may help you get your post count up but it's bloody annoying when you hit the New Posts button and are greated with a full page of "Welcomes" all from the same person and all with exactly the same greeting.

Is it just me that it annoys?

Discuss..............

i did notice this....thought i had accidently looked in the introductions page

jamiebennett81

so because someone welcomes another member that is annoying right?

if you were a new member and no one welcomed you that would be quite off putting?

if the greetings were tailor made to each new member would you still find it annoying?

I foresee quite an easy option, just ignore them....there you go, problem solved

and is this thread "really" a sites and suggestions thread, because its not going to change is it i.e. the admins warning people for adding "welcome" replies to new members purely based on the same welcome message :rolleyes:

or is this aimed at specific people for effectively "whoring" to get their post count up.....if so then would this not be better sending a pm to the admins to make them aware of this? instead of a public rant?

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
so because someone welcomes another member that is annoying right?

if you were a new member and no one welcomed you that would be quite off putting?

if the greetings were tailor made to each new member would you still find it annoying?

I foresee quite an easy option, just ignore them....there you go, problem solved

and is this thread "really" a sites and suggestions thread, because its not going to change is it i.e. the admins warning people for adding "welcome" replies to new members purely based on the same welcome message :rolleyes:

or is this aimed at specific people for effectively "whoring" to get their post count up.....if so then would this not be better sending a pm to the admins to make them aware of this? instead of a public rant?

It's not something that I have noticed being done by established members. It's usually done by new members, in my opinion, to get their post count up. So yes, I would class it as "whoring"

This area of the forum is also for "comments" which I would class this as.

I could ignore it, I usually do. I was just curious as to what other people thought.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I think it is done as an easy way of increasing ones post count. Used to annoy me until I found out that the introduction section is purged periodically and those who spend hours copy and pasting have wasted their time :cartman:

jamiebennett81

It's not something that I have noticed being done by established members. It's usually done by new members, in my opinion, to get their post count up. So yes, I would class it as "whoring"

This area of the forum is also for "comments" which I would class this as.

I could ignore it, I usually do. I was just curious as to what other people thought.

its never bothered me

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Instruction to Newbies in the forum rules............
If you are a new user, you are temporarily restricted from posting in our For Sale section, adding a signature and making use of the private messaging system. Please ensure you take some time to read all of the FAQ/Rules part of the forum.

Restricted use for Newbies: ALL new users are restricted until they have reached above 10 forum posts. Please note that this does not include any General Topic sections.

PLEASE DO NOT SPAM THE FORUMS IN AN ATTEMPT TO GET YOUR POST COUNT UP!

However we DO recommend the Introductions section as a good place to start to get your post counts up, say hello!

Once 10 posts of more are reached, Newbies will then be automatically upgraded to Full Members.

NOTE: There is a 24 hour turnaround on the server, so though you may reach or even surpass 10 posts, it will be approx 24 hours after the point you reach 10 posts, that the server updates your user status to a Full Member. Please be patient!................

Mat

yeah, it is annoying that people don't take time to read threads, just paste a general reply! at least ask about their car etc....

The was a welcome thread a while ago where the title said something like "hot chick" and 1st post said they were actually a boy. Number of replies that said along the lines of "welcome babes" was laughable! proves they don't read jack....

People know who they are that C&P ;)

Mat

Is Alx Chung not an established member then :cartman:

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I had noticed that someone did this this morning - I think every newbie thread had exactly the same welcome post copied and pasted. As said before, I thought I had opened the Introductions forum!!

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
I had noticed that someone did this this morning - I think every newbie thread had exactly the same welcome post copied and pasted. As said before, I thought I had opened the Introductions forum!!

Someone did it last night as well. It was the fact that it had happened twice within 24 hrs that made me start this.

antnee

Easy way to stop it, take intro section away from post count, or threads are auto deleted after 2 weeks

ToRo

TBF it is annopying having to type out practically the same message all the time lol

Then again, it is annoying READING the same message again and again too, swings and roundabouts

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I do not believe that introductions should go toward your post count even though they are only very temporary as it stands. Within hours a newbie can acheive Full Member status in order for SCN to be simply used as a tool for selling (correct me if I'm wrong).

This is when post count 'whoring' is at its worse with said member only interested in the site for one thing and one thing only and maybe nothing constructive at all brought to the forum other than a for sale.

I do post in the intro's once in a while to acknowledge those further down the list with a big fat zero. As Jamie said before as a new member posting in the intro's it can't be very nice when it completely falls on deaf ears. I don't agree with the C & P'ing of responses as it is in no way productive and is impersonal. Casing point as Mat's example.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Offtopic posts don't add to your post count - they are purged automatically by the system. I don't get what people are so up in arms about. I add the odd welcome message when i remember, it's usually the same but it's not a copy and paste job....... how many different ways are there really to say welcome.

What I do notice is that the quality of the replies tends to depend on whether the OP is male or female and IF male ..... it's down to how much effort they make with their opening post.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
So even though you do get a post count (albeit a temporary one) for intros, it doesn't count to your 10+ and becoming a full member?

The rules on selling refer to the general chat section:

5) Only Full Members can post for sale adverts, Newbies need to be promoted to Full Member access before being able to post any for sale adverts. (At least 10 posts to non general chat sections will see you promoted).

To me that's all the stuff down stairs hence why I thought that you do get a post count to Full Member status even though they'll be purged in however many days.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.