Lousy PM Limit Rant

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Perhaps this has come up before, in fact I'm sure it has, but who else thinks the PM limit on here is a touch on the pathetic side? I know bandwidth is at a premium, but every other forum I'm on it's at least double!

Maybe we could do a deal where only those with over 1000 posts get a proper inbox? It seems like every time I pm someone I get the inbox full response, drives me mad!

xxxxxxx has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

[:@]

Is it just me?

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Maybe every other forum, doesn't have a member base this size or worse a very slow database!

Rather than further increasing PM limits, maybe people should just clear out their old ones occasionally. Providing more won't solve the issue of people not doing some simple house keeping. Just means it will happen again in a few months when they have still failed to clear out their old messages.

Its not as if they can't save the ones they want to keep. They can be exported to a txt file and kept if they are needed for reference.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Tell you what because I'm in a good mood this morning, I've upped the limit on PM's for Full Members (the largest user group with PM access) to 50.

We'll see how it goes, if there is drop in performance it might be reduced again.

But I would urge people to undertake good housekeeping, and remove old PM's or backup the ones they need to keep.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
It's just like buying a bigger garden shed, all you do is fill it with more crap you don't need lol

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's just like buying a bigger garden shed, all you do is fill it with more crap you don't need lol

A very good analogy. :)

The forum can probably withstand the increase though. But I would urge people to clear out their in-boxes and sent items regularly.

Simple put we do not guarantee the PM system, if we decide for reasons of database performance to clear them, we can delete them all quite quickly.

So I recommend to everyone if there is something important in your PM box that you need to keep for reference, that YOU back it up. Its not up to us to backup YOUR messages, and if for any reason they get binned its hard lines I'm afraid.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members