DPF Experiences

Your experience of the Diesel Particulate Filter?

• Never seen DPF lights, no problems

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Seen DPF lights, DPF cleared with no problems

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Seen DPF lights, had problems clear DPF

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required covered by warranty

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required NOT covered by warranty

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

hundleton1

Nov 10, 2007
Pembrokesihre, Wales
I have spent the day looking into the DPF (yes to much time on my hands i know)and from reading the driving style is not the problem, if you driving style does not allow for passive regeneration of the DPF then the car initiates active regeneration, active regeneration is designed for people who don’t do enough driving to allow the filter to regenerate by its self, this is the fail safe, it seams that the VAG active regeneration system is not working correctly, although other manufactured has suffered from problem the most I have been able to find is with VAG cars, the active regeneration system when fully completed should always clear the problem.

From reading the forum most people seem to have the first light come on then go off then some time later it seems to come back with the management light and enter limp mode.
f it was driver error you would get the first light, this would remain on until the second stage kicks in and put the car into limp mode.

Last edited:

ktron

I have spent the day looking into the DPF (yes to much time on my hands i know)and from reading the driving style is not the problem, if you driving style does not allow for passive regeneration of the DPF then the car initiates active regeneration, active regeneration is designed for people who don’t do enough driving to allow the filter to regenerate by its self, this is the fail safe, it seams that the VAG active regeneration system is not working correctly, although other manufactured has suffered from problem the most I have been able to find is with VAG cars, the active regeneration system when fully completed should always clear the problem.

From reading the forum most people seem to have the first light come on then go off then some time later it seems to come back with the management light and enter limp mode.
f it was driver error you would get the first light, this would remain on until the second stage kicks in and put the car into limp mode.

If im reading this correctly this is exactly what has happened to me twice now. The first fault light ISNT the DPF light but the engine management light. Seat have admitted this shouldn't be happening...this is then followed by the DPF light which I cannot clear even following the instructions (40-60 mph in 4/5th gear). Then after another 15-20 mins of driving I then get the flashing coil light and limp mode.

I had a call from the dealer today and has been advised by Seat technical to clean certain parts of the area around the DPF????....and also to switch my engine oil to a new recommended one. Haven't got the car back yet but fingers crossed.

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
to keep you up to date my car is still at the garage awaiting parts apparently. they couldn't tell me what but i will know by the time i collect it - and suprise suprise no call from seat uk either:rolleyes:
at least this time i had a courtesy car i could keep hold of

sm_allen

to keep you up to date my car is still at the garage awaiting parts apparently. they couldn't tell me what but i will know by the time i collect it - and suprise suprise no call from seat uk either:rolleyes:
at least this time i had a courtesy car i could keep hold of

Any news on the car and what they have replaced?

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
im actually still waiting to hear back from them. will hopefully post this evening when i finally get my car back

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
surprise surprise on my may to work this morning and ping on came the light. I have only done 150 miles since the last time which included motor trip.

Starting to do me nut in now. I am sure it will clear with a blast up the motorway again but i don't know if I want a car that does this every couple of days.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Milltek are finishing off a turbo back exhaust on a GT TDi 170 Golf that does away with the DPF FYI.

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
i got my car back yesterday. the exhaust gas pressure sensor was broken and therefore replaced. apparently this has nothing to do with the dpf problems i had last week and they woudn't refund my repair. however, this new fault was fixed under the warranty so at least i haven't spent anymore money fixing the bloody thing!!!

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
Great thread chaps - with 50 votes already (and peoples experiences) then it gives someone trying to get their head around the issue a bit of information.

As i was looking through the forum on DPF then i bumped into this (courtesy of Cupra.net member Snarks) which warrants inclusion on here - a leaflet on DPF which he received from the dealer.
http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dpfle3.jpg

ktron

Mine was also returned yesterday. They cleaned some pipes around the DPF and did a full service using an alternative oil - as advised by Seat technical...fingers crossed - you can be sure I will be back adding my 10p worth if I get another problem :)

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Great thread chaps - with 50 votes already (and peoples experiences) then it gives someone trying to get their head around the issue a bit of information.

As i was looking through the forum on DPF then i bumped into this (courtesy of Cupra.net member Snarks) which warrants inclusion on here - a leaflet on DPF which he received from the dealer.
http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dpfle3.jpg

I read this in the dealer when I picked up my FR. The dealer told me at the time that if the light comes on I basically need to rag it for a few miles! :whistle:

I recall laughing and thinking that this was the best excuse I've ever heard for basically having to put your foot down. I wonder how many other manufacturers of cars with DPF say the same thing?! Fabulous...but a little worrying that light might pop on any second none the less.

ktron

I read this in the dealer when I picked up my FR. The dealer told me at the time that if the light comes on I basically need to rag it for a few miles! :whistle:

I recall laughing and thinking that this was the best excuse I've ever heard for basically having to put your foot down. I wonder how many other manufacturers of cars with DPF say the same thing?! Fabulous...but a little worrying that light might pop on any second none the less.

Yes mulord...I was told by the dealer that driving at 70 in a 40 was OK to clear the DPF..what 6 months ban mulord??? :rolleyes:

beachboy

Mar 28, 2004
May I second that about making this DPF issue a sticky.

This thing is bigger than both of us, Jim!

The latest post is from vasquez on DPF and Limp mode issues in the Leon Mk 2 section.

There are at least 5 current threads on this DPF issue so it would seem sensible to bring them all together under a sticky.

sm_allen

Can we please keep the poll running as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon_Peters

2008 Leon Fr TFSI & 01 R6
Apr 11, 2007
Weston-Super-Mare
I voted - See the Light but everytime it's cleared
Car Age - 3 weeks old 57plate (owned by me from 9 miles)
Milage - Shade over 1000 miles
The light came on at 260 miles and 600 and 900 miles. Most of that was motorway miles too.

Haven't see it for a week now though......

Si

hangten0

I voted - No problems - DPF lights been on a couple of times
Car Age - 16 months (06 plate)
Milage - 14,000
Driving style - 30 mile commute, 10 minutes crawling, other 20 minutes over 50, no problems. BUT, previously for 6 months had a 1 mile "commute" (i know should have walked!), DPF came on a couple of times (5-10 minutes burn on a nearby dual-carriage way cured it). Did drive it quite hard rev wise, if not suspect DPF would have come on more frequently.

I was not told about DPF driving requirements when bought car, imo not worth buying it if only doing town/city driving at low speed, then perhaps you could say the same about most diesels.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.