Leon Cupra Changes - Effective January 2008 - CupraK1

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yer basically we mean SEAT should show us some ideas, before they go to market. Benefit being they get some FREE feedback from their customers about what we would like to see.

Where as they and their dealers appear to be saying this is what we think you would like, and then very few of us do.

I don't want a job, got a perfectly good career as it is. This is just a hobby.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Hi Rampage,

Turns out it wa more than 3 cars they had turn up minus the Bi-Xenons! We had another one arrive (Zenith Grey) without Bi-Xenons although that customer decided to take SEATs offer of the Aero Kit. All down to personal choice. SEAT paid us to fit the kit rather than them taking the car down to Kent to have their contracted bodyshop do the work. As you (quite rightly in my opinion ) turned down the same offer of a bodykit your car will be exactly as ordered, price protected and has been confirmed as a week 5 build.

As a dealer I have to look at the fiscal implications of any spec changes, colour choices fitted options etc when a car is traded in, personally I would value a full Aero kit Cupra at about the same price as a standard Cupra and slightly lower than one with side skirts and rear spoiler.

It was in The Times newspaper.

I'd hate to have to tell someone that Seat have messed up their car.

As I've said to you billions of times before, I know it was in no way your fault.
But what has been winding me up this week (as my posts this week have been somewhat negative) is that Seat UK havn't contacted me. I would, to be honest, have liked a phone call from Seat UK to explain the situation and apologise. But it seems that they prefer to let a dealer do their dirty work for them. Which to me seems rather unfair on the dealer.

At the end of the day you are by far the best dealer in the manchester area.
The other two dealers in my area have tried to start arguments with me (one of which is why I came to you and bought a car).
I couldn't be happier with the solution, but to me Seat UK don't seem bothered.

I'll be in tomorrow to look at your Citrus FR.
Also, what happened to my old car, did it go back to Seat?

Chris

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Yer basically we mean SEAT should show us some ideas, before they go to market. Benefit being they get some FREE feedback from their customers about what we would like to see.

Where as they and their dealers appear to be saying this is what we think you would like, and then very few of us do.

I don't want a job, got a perfectly good career as it is. This is just a hobby.

I totally agree with what you mean.
But the Porsche/BMW owners who run Seat UK know much more about what the customers want than people who actually buy them don't they? :p

I listen to what my customers want, and have added new items accordingly.

Last edited:
Sorry fellas but you're both wrong!

I'm afraid they won't listen to either SCN or the dealers. The average dealer spends millions of pounds a year with SEAT so you would think we'd be listened to and yet we've put forward suggestion after suggestion at the dealer forums we attend and SEAT have yet to do anything regarding design or marketing that has been suggested.

University graduates and accountants not car people rule in any VAG set up.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's a wish Gary more than an expectation, we know better than most how things are run. We've even been to SEAT HQ to see it and go through some of the same spiel the dealers get.

But you have to drop the hints though, someone might take notice...one day?

Only thinking about the brand, we wouldn't of started this site if we didn't have a soft spot for them. :)

And if I am honest, we do make a pretty big impression at SEAT towers, but as you say like most companies these days they are governed by accountants.

Last edited:
You're dead right about how good the UK market is for SEAT, come to that for most manufacturers as its the cash cow of the motoring world. Although our OTR prices are similar to most other EU countries the ex-factory price to SEAT UK is higher than any other country as our new car taxes are lower than any other EU country.

I, and most other dealers, share your sentiments about putting our feedback in before a product is launched, we hear it first hand whereas the brand only gets it from wally with a clipboard standing outside Marks and Sparks on a wet Wednesday (every Wednesday is wet in Oldham!!) asking old auntie Nellie if she's ever heard of SEAT.

I too have a very big soft spot for the brand as do all my family, if we didn't we'd go and sell Protons!

Chris,

SEAT came and collected your old one last Friday.

May 13, 2007
looks great at last looks sporty not just an fr with a bit black paint on bumper and 18" alloys goood on ya seat result !

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I, and most other dealers, share your sentiments about putting our feedback in before a product is launched, we hear it first hand whereas the brand only gets it from wally with a clipboard standing outside Marks and Sparks on a wet Wednesday (every Wednesday is wet in Oldham!!) asking old auntie Nellie if she's ever heard of SEAT.

I did one of those surveys about 12 months ago, got asked to go into a conference room of a hotel in Edinburgh and answered 1001 questions (well it seemed like that) on car brands. The problem was the whole survey was floored as about half way through I got bored (as most people would) and put any old answer just to get out of the place.

I can't see that they got that much useful data from it as the survey was just too long and I've actually been on training courses covering how to write questionnaires...

Also did some work with a major car manufacturer a few years ago and they actually offer products to the market that they don't expect many people to buy. A manufacturer needs to be seen to offer a product even if they know nobody wants it. In particular specific factory fit options. Because you can get feature a on brand x of car, a manufacturer needs to be seen that they offer it as well.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I stand corrected, but I always thought that the main market for them was spain.

No doubt the home market is important to them, but SEAT are not as big in Spain as people might think.

Some of the most popular makes of car in Spain, based on sales tend to be Citroen, Renault & Ford.

Spain is also the seventh largest motor vehicle manufacturer in the world. Many other brands have manufacturing plants in Spain.

Overall in many parts of Europe cars sales have been on the downturn, and manufacturers such as SEAT have felt the pinch. But the UK remains one of the most buoyant for the brand, with growth continuing this past year. Leon overtook Ibiza recently as the best selling model in the UK.

Last edited:

MatG

Jul 31, 2007
www.astraownersclub.com
Seat is fairly big in Spain still, I go there 3 times a year and have a family home over there. 60% (guessing obviously but they certainly seem to out number any other manufacturer) of the cars you see will be Seats (mostly battered though because they dont give a crap about there cars :( ).

I agree about the UK being a major market for all brands we are so intent on having the latest models as a nation the money we spend is increadible! Interesting to know the leon over took the Ibiza recently though, especially with both cars putting a great package together compared to there rivals in the same classes.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I only quote European sales figures based on new car sales. So there maybe a whole raft of used cars that are not included. But as I say European new car sales figures indicate that SEAT are not amongst the biggest sellers even in their home country.

UK figures have been very good the last few years though, much stronger than in other places in Europe, here SEAT have had growth, but they only take up around 1.5% of the total UK sales market. Compare that to the giants like Ford and Vauxhall and its a tiny percentage. But over the last 12 months SEAT have had more growth than some of the larger outfits.

Last edited:

Crazyhazy

Hi Rampage,

As a dealer I have to look at the fiscal implications of any spec changes, colour choices fitted options etc when a car is traded in, personally I would value a full Aero kit Cupra at about the same price as a standard Cupra and slightly lower than one with side skirts and rear spoiler.

Funny that - when I bought mine (albeit an FR) thats the thing thay kept blabbering on about - "well its got the kit on and you will get a better price for it when you sell it"

We've just sold a 2006/06 Black Magic Leon TDi Fr with full bodykit, front and rear park sensors, armrest, alu door kit etc etc, it was up for sale at £14,995, we now have on the forecourt a standard Black Magic TDi FR 06/56 (3 months newer) similar mileage and guess how much its on for? You got it, £14,995!

SEAT, rightly or wrongly, introduced the bodykit on the 2.0 Reference Sport and then on the 1.6 Reference so many people when they see a bodykit car think its one of those models whereas the FR and Cupra have their own totally different bumpers.

As I said before, I'll pay more for FRs and Cupras with just the side skirts and rear spoiler than I will a full bodykit car, when it comes to Reference Sport I'll pay more for ones with the full kit.

Crazyhazy

I will come and see you myself at David Cook's, oh and by the way, I see you are from Moorside - I was brought up on Sholver!!;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.