Problem with guages / instruments

radders567

Hi all. I have just bough a 1997 seat Ibiza 1.4 SXE. After having the car for a few days none of the guages / instruments would work apart from the battery light and the handbrake warning light. After a few hours all the guages came back on, the time had also been reset. This has now happened quite a few times, each time the guages comes back on it is like the battery has been diconnected. Even when none of the guages are working the car will still start and run. I have checked the car over with VAG COM and no faults are shown on any of the controllers. I have cleaned up all of the earth connections in the engine bay and most of the positive connections. This has no cured the problem. I have checked all the fuses - they are all ok. I took out the speedo clock and checked the connections - they were all fine. I stripped the speedo head and checked the circuit board - I could not see any burn marks like there was a problem with the speedo head. The only other component I think it could be is a problem with the ECU. Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it or is there something I am overlooking - maybe a relay for the speedo head power?.

radders567

Update - I have had the stater motor off and cleaned all the connections. I have checked all the connections on the gearbox as suggested in another post they were all fine but i gave them a clean anyway. I have taken out the fue box and checked the wires coming from the speedo unit to the fuse box and they all seem fine. I have also cleaned the earths inside. I thought the ECU was getting wet so I made sure they were all clean and dry and I have now put the ECU inside a bag to ensure it stays dry. A while after that the dials went off again and did not come back on again for about an hour. Has anyone got and Idea's alt all. or if someone has a wiring diagram that would be helpful.

radders567

Does anyone have a spare speedo head that I could borrow for testing. I don't think that there any thing wrong with the one I have but I am running out of idea's.

radders567

I put the dash back together yesterday and the gauges have all stayed on until about 14:00 today. They stayed off again for about an hour. Has anyone got any idea at all because this fault is really frustating. Every time I go to fix it - its working. Then when I go to drive it threre all off. Thanks in advance.

MADDANE

HI
when i turned the key on no lights no speedo no rev counter nothing at all.
the car been standing for a long time so i think the clocks might have got a bit damp
MADDANE

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise