GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yep i would imagine so, there is a complete list in the SERE section although the prices would of changed since

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Has anyone put the Cupra Discs/Brakes under the FL FR TDI wheels?
Took the lady out for a blast this evening and wasn't impressed with the standard setup.

I want to purchase the Cupra setup... but If I have to budget wheels and rubber too I'm going to have to wait even longer.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I know that some of the Seat/VAG 17" wheels fit over the cupra setup as thats what I have for winter rubber. Best find someone friendly as ask for 30 mins of their time to try it.

Fish

itsmefishy

Jul 23, 2009
Nottingham
Replacing discs and pads on an 08 2.0 TDI ref sport, I've done the rear pads before, are the fronts just the same? I know I'll need a piston wind back tool. Will the front and rear callipers remove without breaking into the braking system? With the Discs out the way is it easy enough to hammerite the back plates?

Cheers,
Nikki.

wclark1238

Feb 1, 2011
Wigan
Replacing discs and pads on an 08 2.0 TDI ref sport, I've done the rear pads before, are the fronts just the same? I know I'll need a piston wind back tool. Will the front and rear callipers remove without breaking into the braking system? With the Discs out the way is it easy enough to hammerite the back plates?

Cheers,
Nikki.

Front disc and pad swap is very straightforward. You will likely need to piston retracting tool but that's the only 'special' tool needed. Calipers can remain hydraulically connected whilst being unbolted from the carrier/hub. I'd guess that with calipers and discs off the backplate will be pretty exposed so if Hammerite floats your boat then I can't see what would stop you at that point. Enjoy :D

itsmefishy

Jul 23, 2009
Nottingham
Front disc and pad swap is very straightforward. You will likely need to piston retracting tool but that's the only 'special' tool needed. Calipers can remain hydraulically connected whilst being unbolted from the carrier/hub. I'd guess that with calipers and discs off the backplate will be pretty exposed so if Hammerite floats your boat then I can't see what would stop you at that point. Enjoy :D

Cheers mate. I'm a big fan of the old Hammerite so if I don't go down the big brake route and just replace what I've got, ill definitely be giving the back plates a coat or two.

Dave170

Hi, i'm in the process of buying some new discs and pads but have been asked if my rear calipers are Bosch or Lucas ? Its a 2007 Leon TDi FR 170, can anyone help ?!

Thanks, Dave

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
To remove the sliding caliper on a PD170 front brake, leaving the caliper carrier attached to the hub what tool is required for the bolts hidden in the rubber covers.
On the old Fords it used to be an 7mm long reach allen key, is the same required here ?

Do the caliper pistons need wining back on a thread or can they be pushed back with grips/stilsons, if they do need wining back do you really need the proper tool for the job, or is there an improvised method ?

It appears that I have a 312mm Front and 255mm Rear setup (2007 2.0 TDI PD170).
Is it easy to upgrade the rear disk to the 282mm retaining the same caliper ?

Last edited:

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
The r32 upgrade would have to come off a mk5 golf am I right? Would the mk4 ones not fit?

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
To remove the sliding caliper on a PD170 front brake, leaving the caliper carrier attached to the hub what tool is required for the bolts hidden in the rubber covers.
On the old Fords it used to be an 7mm long reach allen key, is the same required here ?

Do the caliper pistons need wining back on a thread or can they be pushed back with grips/stilsons, if they do need wining back do you really need the proper tool for the job, or is there an improvised method ?

It appears that I have a 312mm Front and 255mm Rear setup (2007 2.0 TDI PD170).
Is it easy to upgrade the rear disk to the 282mm retaining the same caliper ?

Scott, have you changed disc and pads yet? I did mine a week ago, i think its a 7mm allen key for the fronts. you can use grips to push the piston back on the front or use a long but tough flat blade screw driver and use the pads and dics to push the piston back.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Scott, have you changed disc and pads yet? I did mine a week ago, i think its a 7mm allen key for the fronts. you can use grips to push the piston back on the front or use a long but tough flat blade screw driver and use the pads and dics to push the piston back.

Yes mate. Got a 7mm Allen key to remove the fronts and used grips to push the pistons back.
For the rears I had to get a piston rewind tool for £18 from the local motor factors.
Easy enough though to do and I was surprised how easy the grub screw came out of the disks considering it's been in there 6 years.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.