4 - plate washer for pressure pate to flywheel
5 - crankshaft bolts
6 - thrust plate
7 - thrust plate spring
8 - pressure plate > flywheel bolts
9 - inspection cap (green VWlogo) levers off
10 - thrust bearing
11 - radial shaft / cable arm
12 - splined release arm (common to break or strip splines)
13 - securing clip for release arm
14 - return spring for release arm
15 - stop buffer
16 - seal for radial shaft
17 - push rod (common for pushing through thrust plate #6)
19 - balance weight

in short with pedal pressed down (ish)

cable pulls #11 upwards
#11 twists #12 inwards
presses against #10
pushing #17 inwards
against #6
releasing pressure off #1
releasing #2 for clutch engaged

common faults

#12 bends/breaks/strips splines easily checked by lifting off #9 and inspecting it under operation

#6 breaks open letting #17 burst through it

either way press pedal down - no clutch or to start seems harder to get in gear - similar to pedal box symptoms too :(:(

020 Clutch...

Sachs clutch kit from Euro Car Parts actually contains
1 - pressure plate
2 - friction plate
5 - crankshaft bolts
6 - thrust plate
7 - thrust plate spring

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
8 : pressure plate > flywheel bolts
N 10013401 : 12-point head bolt :M7X40X20 /

What sized socket fits those? :confused:

pass off the top of my head - i just go down the line of em til they fit :whistle:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Just to illustrate the 020 thrust plate problem a little further -

The thrust plate lives in the middle of the flywheel clutch assembly and operates the clutch release plate. The thrust plate is operated by a pushrod that runs through the middle of the 020 box.

The following pics illustrate a rod that has worn through the middle of the release plate.
P1010058.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010059-1.jpg

P1010045.jpg

(a new thrust plate is shown on the left in the above picture)

You can tell this has happened if
1) clutch pedal has dropped to the floor
2) if you remove the round endplate from the gearbox, you can see that the pushrod /release bearing has moved well away from the operating lever - as below.
P1010036-1.jpg

Try to withdraw the pushrod with a magnet (having first taken the release bearing out) before removing the gearbox - otherwise, you may find the pushrod is skewering the gearbox to the flywheel/clutch assembly, making gearbox removal extremely difficult.

Last edited:

SULL1222

Hi dpj do you know which way round the push rod goes??? Is it the round end to the release bearing or round end to the pressure plate any help please :)

SULL1222

Push rod

CHEERS FOR THAT DAVE, LOOKS LIKE BOX IS COMING OUT IN THE MORNING, I ALSO THOUGHT ROUND END THAT WAY, BUT ONE OF THE LADS WHERE I WORK FITTED NEW CLUTCH AND PUSH ROD TWO WEEKS AGO AND CARS NOW BACK BUT I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE RELEASE BEARING IS F:censored:KED (ITS ACTUALLY AN AUDI A3) BUT AUDI ARE USELESS:shrug: MAY SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP [B)]

JUST A QUICK ONE DAVE DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO KNOWS FOR 100% ITS THE ROUND END TO THE PRESSURE PLATE?? SOZ FOR BEEN A PAIN JUST WANT TO BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.. CHEERS AGAIN FOR ANY HELP.

Last edited by a moderator:

SULL1222

Do you know why the push rod wears through the pressure plate ??

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Do you know why the push rod wears through the pressure plate ??

It's just down to the extremely simple design. I reckon it's intended that the clutch friction surfaces should wear out before the release plate, then they all get changed. However the release plate hasn't always been changed - or because of careful driving, the friction surfaces have lasted longer than the release plate.

*Release plate is better terminology as the pressure plate is attached to the crankshaft.

SULL1222

Sorry to be a pain dave. But do you or any of your fellow seat guys know for 100% which way roundthe rod goes only ive got a new one just turned up. One end is rounder than the other as i guess you would know.????? Soz for pecking.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
always fitted em rounded to the plate as it's domed and the flatter end to the bearing as it's flatter

mambrose

Jun 20, 2013
Norwich
Hi, as i was driving home yesterday evening my clutch pedal just went! i managed to get the car home with no clutch (can be a problem when you don't know how) but i have had a look today and my pedal box is okay, which surprised me the car has done 78000 and hasn't had a pedal box change, i was looking through i don't have any restriction on acceleration, which would eliminate the problem that the push rod has gone through the thrust plate so i was thinking that it was maybe my splined release arm has gone, or has stripped the splines, any ideas? and are splined release arms easy avaliable?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.