Passenger side exterior "rustling" sound only in 2nd gear

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
So this is a curious one for me, sound clip at bottom.

Started happening about a few days ago. I have been hearing this sound coming from the far front left side of the car which almost sounds like a rustling shuffling sound is the best i could describe is, almost like the sound if you could imagine someone with a tiny piece of plastic or wrapper they are faffing around with it.

It only happens when i'm in second gear and it doesn't matter whether I am applying throttle or not (on/off) from very low rpm 1000s up to (well, engine noise sort of takes over at this point) 3 or 4000 but i'd guess the noise is present across the whole rpm range.

No other gear makes this noise, no noise in neutral, no noise at idle it's only ONE gear (2nd) only.

Doesn't seem to be affecting performance in any way, if anything, it perhaps sounds like something is catching or rubbing or being rubbed against or perhaps one of the gears (in this case second) is ever so slightly grinding(?) or catching on the clutch or transmission or something?

First i thought it was grit a few days ago...then i thought it was just the turbo until i heard it at off throttle, low end rpms, then i thought it was something in the air filter or piping but they figured well surely i'd hear it all the time in all gears so that ruled that out for me.

What could this noise be? Something transmission related? If it's only 1 gear this is happening too that is my guess. Not being able to physically see it is a concern to me.

Any clues would be appreciated :).

Sound clip: https://clyp.it/hbdq5ue5

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Bump.

No one have a clue? Have contacted dealer about it but not heard back yet..

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Audio Bump: https://clyp.it/hbdq5ue5

Ok, managed to I think get a pretty good representation of the sound here in this clip, i have other sound clips if needed (finally managed to find my studio mic with anti wind mod), the mic is pretty poorly placed hence why you can still hear wind noise but belieave me it's a 100x better than if it were without the wind guard.

So ignoring the wind noise, it's the gristly/clattery noise that is the issue, once again, only in second gear on and more actively, off, throttle.

Any help as i said would be great...got to be transmission related, right?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.