pd150 operating temperature

clag

Dec 28, 2016
Ive been having some trouble with my car taking a while to get up to temperature recently.

A few months ago i noticed my temperature was dropping a little at NSL so i replaced the thermostat.

last night my EML came on (unrelated, glow plug loom fault) while i had my code reader out i had a look at the live data.

After a 40 mile trip the coolant temperature was only at 75C.

The temp gauge on the car always points at 90, but i was wondering what the true operating temp was supposed to be before i go and re do the thermostat and change the coolant temp sensor.

I have heard of thermostats opening early, but if my car isnt getting to temp properly it would explain the drop in mpg.

Any help please?

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
My temp gauge in this weather sits at 1/4, but in the summer sits at 1/2. Haven't checked actual temps

undertacher

Oct 15, 2013
Romania
It is not normal masterfrodo.You have problems with car thermostats.Change it with an OEM one.Also change the flange where the thermostats is in.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
It's cold, and diesels only warm up slowly compared to petrol cars. The CTS has two separate sensors, one that feeds the dash gauge with it's legacy 12V wiring and one that feeds the ECU, working off the digital side, 5V. Your code reader will be reading the digital sensor output, which is much more sensitive, and accurate.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
The cluster is programmed to display 90 across a vast range of temperatures from 75 degrees to well over 100. The actual temp as measured by the ECU should be 88-92ish, plus or minus a few degrees. Shouldn't stay as low as 75. Get a genuine stat

clag

Dec 28, 2016
i am aware that the weather will play a big part in how long it takes to warm up but my commute is 40 miles so it shouldnt take that long even with the heater on IMO. I have removed the EGR and cooler so thats likely to be a factor too.

One thing i have noticed is that when the temperature outside is low and im sat in traffic for a few minutes with the heater on, i can watch the temp gauge drop slowly. Ill get a genuine stat tomorrow thanks for your help

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members