Recommendations of dealers - POST HERE (new upto date thread)

seemefly

GK derby

I had bad experiances and so did my dad with the derby branch when it was ilkeston coop with poor workmanship and iggnorant sales people so we changed to willabys in beeston .Was fine there until a couple of years ago when the workmanship went downhill there and the svs dept wernt that helpful so i thought id give the new derby 1 a go .Went there first with the intention of buying a new car and met the same iggnorant prat as before just my luck (gary incase anyone goes) so i got the car from motorpoint .I had a fair few problems with rattles and the like but GK took care of them with the minimum of fuss and ive just had it serviced there and am very happy with the job and it was cleaned for me which i think is a nice touch

all in all i cant believe its the same place i recomend it to anyone

Ibiza FR diesel black

and as this is my 1st time on the site i'll praps see some of you at the derby meet bye all

keithc

SERE Belfast

I know there may not be many from Northern Ireland read this but wanted to add my experience for the few that it is useful to. I called a couple of SEAT dealers and found SERE on the Boucher Road to be the cheapest for the service (£133)

I got my 10k mile service done on my Leon FR Tdi last week and got to borrow a courtesy car to play with for the day too. The service was very satisfactory (apart from theie valet guy being off and not washing my car, although seeing he was with his wife who was having a baby I let them off with it). I was happy with the customer service I got while I was at the dealer and even got a coutesy call a few days later to check I had been looked after, which I felt was a nice touch. My only issue was that they did not have some of the parts I needed to get changed under warranty, they don't keep brake discs for the FR Leon diesel (I know that a set of discs in 10k miles is a bit extreme but there must have been something wrong with them to have warped in that time!).

So I have to take my car back again this week to get the discs and an intercooler hose changed, guess I'll just have another courtesy car to play with then!

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
My car is booked in at a dealer near to Gatwick airport(forget the name) because I am working down in Crawley for a few weeks--does anyone have any good or bad reports from Gatwick area dealers.

Thanks in advance

Hagar

Marshalls in Bedford??????
My fleet manager buys seat from Marshalls, friends 2.0TDI Sport delivered with blocks in suspension "They all ride hard on 17" wheels" Notttinham dealer sorted it. Mine was delivered with different spec to order, dealer couldn't give a toss "it was the factory". They won't be getting my three services this year.

Paulie

Sorry if this has already been discussed but was having trouble booking my Leon into a dealer for a service - no courtesy car - no-one to drop me off back at work - so rang the local (2 min walk) VW dealer in Leamington (Spirit). Booked car in for the next day but dropped it off at lunchtime that day as didint need it. Go a call later in the afternoon from the dealer to say that a technician had finished a job early and had done the service on my Cupra and it was now ready for collection. Top Service!!!!

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Marshall SEAT - Cambridge

I haven't actually used this dealer - but not for want of trying!!!

First they told me that the LCR bodykit wasn't a straight fit to my Cupra :wtf: ??? and so couldn't quote for fitting without seeing all the parts first; and generally the bodyshop manager didn't sound keen on £1500 worth of work going his way.

Then i ordered some parts, waited, phoned back - was told they were on order. I needed a couple more bits so phoned again to add to my first order. Guy checks the system, my first order had never been placed!

Finally phoned for a quote for a 40k service, they never returned my call.

I reckon between servicing, parts and bodywork they've missed out on about £2k from me.

I now get parts delivered from IMG SEAT, Warrington. Barr-Tech, Cambridge are doing my bodywork and SEAT Letchworth will get a call about the service.

Dreadnaught

Tallpaul said:
I haven't actually used this dealer - but not for want of trying!!!

Bought my Cupra TDI from them - love it to bits. Took it back there for it's first service (364 days after purchase, 10531 miles), and they only did the oil change, not an inspection. They put too much oil in it and it was 1000 miles that i finally twigged what all the smoke was (hope the cat's OK). They have since drained and refilled it again. I reported 3 faults when it went in -

1) the felt inserts at the base of the A-pillars were showing (fixed by removing them and throwing them away)
2) the offside rear window switch doesn't work - fixed by telling me the child lock was on, like i'd never thought of that myself. got home, and the window goes down but not up, which i must admit is better than when it went in, so I must cut some slack on this one
3) the rear wash wipe only wipes - didn't fix it for no apparent reason, but we'll be happy to do it if you book it in again.

They had 3 weeks notice, and a clean sheet in the book on the day i booked it in, so not enough time is no excuse. Also had the cheek to charge me for the loan car , but I did know in advance. After my previous experience with Marshalls (Pug dealer in Huntingdon gave me my 306 back without replacing the split brake hose i sent it in for), they'll not be seeing it again.

About 2 weeks ago, I booked it in to Letchworth for tomorrow (5th) - they did the fule pump bolts during the recall whilst i waited)., and noticed last week I had a cracked foglamp. I call up, give my details and as for a foglamp to be replaced. "on the 5th sir? don;t have you on the 5th - we have you on the 4th". NO WAY did I book it on 4th, but no problem. "Can you fit me in on the 5th?" "Yes sir, no problem". "What about the loan car I booked?" "Loan car sir? we don't have a loan car booking for you....." Ah well.

Luckily, a friend I work with also had his car in on 4th, so i hitched a lift in with him. And then I got a call saying it won't be ready tonight. Fair play, I have a loan car to get home and back tomorrow, but it's a bit inconvenient.

I had a tot up the other day. In 18 years, I have driven 750,000 miles in 19 different cars from 5 manufacturers. A rough guess suggests 130+ dealer visits, and never have i been told "we're not going to finish it" or had the wrong work done until now. I don't regret the purchase at all, but I am a bit concerned over the after-sales service. Letchworth is easy access as I work in Stevenage, and if the job is done properly when i get it back (having cruise control installed and the other 3 faults fixed) they'll be the regular port of call I think.

Dreadnaught

Thumbs Up Letchworth Autoway

Pretty good job - everything done as requested, Cruise works fine, and they even cleaned it inside and out. Thanks guys.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
David Cook Motors Oldham

Had my 2yr (20k) service done yesterday.

Booked in on the thursday prior so no long waiting, had a new leon diesel for a courtesy car, used my own oil and they diagnosed a trapped wire on my duff indicator (poor induction kit fitting by me :redface: )

£120.01 broke down the bill for me and explained it and left me feeling like i HADN'T been ripped off, which is nice

:thumbup: from me :)

vwsurfbum

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!
Aug 10, 2005
essex
Saul said:
Had my 2yr (20k) service done yesterday.

Booked in on the thursday prior so no long waiting, had a new leon diesel for a courtesy car, used my own oil and they diagnosed a trapped wire on my duff indicator (poor induction kit fitting by me :redface: )

£120.01 broke down the bill for me and explained it and left me feeling like i HADN'T been ripped off, which is nice

:thumbup: from me :)
Good show! glad there is people out there who give praise to 'stealers' when praise is due!
i thank you on there behalf! :D

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Had my 40K service done at Ted Johnsons in Barnsley yesterday. Booked the car in 2 weeks ago and had a courtesy car available. Had the brake fluid changed as well as the service, bulb replaced and wiper motor diagnosed as faulty, new one being ordered and to be replaced under warranty.

All up £260 which I didn't think was too bad considering I've paid £200 in the past for the 20k service.

Got a phone call on Wednesday to check up on what I thought of the service, not had that before from the other stealers. :D

Last edited:

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Coming up to time i need to get my 03 LC facelift serviced
i live in Bingley, from reading this thread (and past JCT600 experiences) i wont be going there- yeadon or Sticker lane

Thornes at Wakefield has gone bust i gather?
Meltham where my care came from no longer exists in Huddersfield

So its either harrogate or barnsley as far as i can tell

does anyone have any reviews or past experiences with either of these?

If need be i could get it serviced in Aberdeen when up visiting.

Nigel West

Morning Rik

Just sent you a response to your email address, hope this is of use.

Regards

Nigel West
Managing Director
Ted Johnson SEAT

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
OK thanks Nigel

ill have to check when im at home as work blocks hotmail, and will reply in due course

im not too far from Barnsley at work (J28 M62), just finding dealerships dropping like flies and its tough to find a decent one at the best of times

Nigel West

Basically Rik, we are launching a SEATCupra/Ted Johnson service discount card by application through SEATCupra.net, Mark Boyd is working on a webpage application form linked back to Ted Johnson's. We will then issue the card to the member who has applied.
The card also gives the member a free of charge upgraded courtesy car. I have said in the email that I can apply the discount to you before the scheme goes live and quantified it, just didn't want to go fully public on the site until we are up and running with the scheme.
The reason we are launching this is that we have had good responses from SEATCupra members and have been encouraged by the increase in number of members of using us, hopefully the discount and the courtesy car upgrade in addition to the quality of service we try and offer will compensate for the distance that some of you guys have to travel.

Regards
Nigel West
Managing Director
Ted Johnson SEAT

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Nigel,

scheme sounds a very good idea

ive only had my facelift 03 LC a month, so its coming to time to look at servicing
car is still in warranty until mid january so am looking for its service (25k/Feb06) and its 3 year old MOT in one visit before this time.

Ill be in touch over due course

Thankyou for taking the time out to reply

Rik

jedi knight

BIG AND BOUNCY
Jun 18, 2004
West Midlands
Nigel West said:
Basically Rik, we are launching a SEATCupra/Ted Johnson service discount card by application through SEATCupra.net, Mark Boyd is working on a webpage application form linked back to Ted Johnson's. We will then issue the card to the member who has applied.
The card also gives the member a free of charge upgraded courtesy car. I have said in the email that I can apply the discount to you before the scheme goes live and quantified it, just didn't want to go fully public on the site until we are up and running with the scheme.
The reason we are launching this is that we have had good responses from SEATCupra members and have been encouraged by the increase in number of members of using us, hopefully the discount and the courtesy car upgrade in addition to the quality of service we try and offer will compensate for the distance that some of you guys have to travel.

Regards
Nigel West
Managing Director
Ted Johnson SEAT

:worship:

why can't dealers around birmingham be like you guys :confused:

Nigel West

Rik

Just a bit advice and this goes for all you SEAT owners try and get the car in for service before the warranty expires, at least then if we pick any problems up whilst its in we will be able to process under the SEAT warranty rather than you having to pick the cost up, I would suggest giving us at least a week before the expiry to ensure that we can process any claim whilst under the SEAT warranty. SEAT and lots of other manufacturers have tightened up on warranty procedures due to the economics of the motor industry over the last few years and a warranty claim needs to be submitted and accepted whilst the vehicle is still under warranty. There is very little goodwill given these days to claims outside of warranty - be warned. Also be aware that SEAT impose a date and mileage clause in their warranty this means you must have the vehicle serviced every 12 months but also they stipulate that this must be done within 1 month of each 12 month registration date so for example the 2nd year service must be done no later than the vehicle being 25 months old, the mileage clause states that the vehicle must be serviced every 10,000 miles but give a leeway of 600 miles, both these conditions run along side each other and whichever comes first counts, ie time or miles.
Your MOT assuming it is its first can be done up to a month before the cars 3rd birthday and post dated to start at its 3rd birthday providing you bring your V5 document with you, there is the same 1 month post date facility with car that has already had a MOT but that is subject to you bringing along the current MOT.
Hope not teaching you guys to suck eggs but you would be amazed how many people forfeit their warrany without knowing and are understandingly mighty cross when we are unable to process ther warranty claim and it becomes payable by them the owner.

Regards

Nigel West
Managing Director
Ted Johnson SEAT

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Useful information there, thanks nigel

I will defintely be bringing her to you, either planned on before xmas, or as soon after as poss.

She was serviced at 10k, then again 5k later as the previous owner only racked that up in the 2nd year.

The clause that servicing must be done one month either way from prescribed date is a little nasty, i shall check this tonight, if its not the case then someone in seat has gone awry.

Anyway, ill be in touch and look forward to dealing with you, hopefully it will all go well :)

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
So Nigel West, what is your opinion of warranty and modifications?

Does any modification void all the warranty? Is using genuine VAG parts OK? Does a modification only void the warranty of parts directly related to the warranty?

Any opinion gratefully received.