DTUK tuning box

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I backed up my phone today so i thought i would share the videos I mentioned.

This is a before and after comparison (33mb): http://smebo.co.uk/video/dtuk_box_before_and_after.wmv

It's easier to time in premiere than on my phone, i said 13sec and 10sec but if you start when you hear the stupid sport mode drone kick in and stop at 100mph on the display i make it:

Before - 3sec - 16.7sec = 13.7sec

After - 27.7sec - 38.6sec = 10.9sec

2.8sec or 20% quicker

That looks pretty swift. I bet a few people will have their nose put out of joint.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Yea, mainly 320d, C220 and 2.0TDI A4 drivers who sit right up your ass when you overtake with CC on at 70.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Standard - 69mpg indicated, 65.5mpg actual (-5%)

Aggressive 4+2 - 74mpg indicated, 64.3mpg actual (-13%)

I've now set it back to 4+1 which is my favourite and will try again tomorrow

Jun 15, 2013
Its been said many times before, single trip readings off the dash are irrelevant. What matters is your average over a few thousand miles calculated using the distance covered and the fuel used.

The dash said my 1.4 TSi did 58.1 pg on my commute to work yesterday. Over the past 6 1/2 months I have owned the car it has averaged a true 45 mpg. Spot the difference.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
My readings are not irrelevant. My commute is at least 90% of my annual mileage and its 200 miles in both directions so it's perfectly adequate to test differences.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
i take it from this that the box is throwing your mfd out massively?

Yes as expected but I would not say 'Massively'. I always knew the things you read online would be bollox as people would not test it as I am by brimming it each trip. I need to do a few more tests but it looks like just shy of 15% when taking it easy up to 18% when giving it the beans everywhere. Standard was ~5%.

You can correct it via VCDS

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
gotcha, thanks this will be something i look into when i get one of the shark dtuk boxes next month, but hopefully it wont throw a petrol out too much

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
gotcha, thanks this will be something i look into when i get one of the shark dtuk boxes next month, but hopefully it wont throw a petrol out too much

It certainly won't be as bad as it will just adjust the boost profile. Diesel's are out because it ups the fuel pressure without the ecu knowing.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
thought as much, makes my life easier. You got any plans of boring out your dpf for more power? I know Andrew @ DTUK is getting a new upgradable box signed off at the Autosport Show this weekend. Its likely going to cost more but as im having a exhaust system being put on I want to take advantage of that and with remaps looking a long way off still it looks like the only real option.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Forget these tuning boxes graham, just wait till the proper remaps come out, there not gonna be that far away now.

£500 for something that tricks your ecu... no thanks!

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Forget these tuning boxes graham, just wait till the proper remaps come out, there not gonna be that far away now.

i know what your saying Rob but DTUK have at least teamed up with a decent tuner to make them, its not like theyre just turning up the boost and from what i gather it will still be months before the ecu is cracked. However that said maybe I could just be happy with only an additional bhp from the exhaust alone...it is a lot of money for something I will replace in a matter of months, im just so impatient lol

Jul 29, 2013
Essex

There is another thread on the box vs remap debate.

I believe it's nieve to think a remap which adjusts boost and fueling via applying different values to the lookup tables on the ecu is much different to a tuning box which adjusts the readings going into the ecu from various sensors to make it take a different value from the lookup table. It's £360 too btw.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
thought as much, makes my life easier. You got any plans of boring out your dpf for more power? I know Andrew @ DTUK is getting a new upgradable box signed off at the Autosport Show this weekend. Its likely going to cost more but as im having a exhaust system being put on I want to take advantage of that and with remaps looking a long way off still it looks like the only real option.

No more plans other than the spoiler and a few little changes. It's a company car. I'm happy with the extra 50 or so bhp and 100 odd nm's.