Rear Door not unlocking

wa53lcw

May 8, 2015
My offside rear door worked intermittently but now it is not unlocking at all :(

I replaced the nearside lock a couple of years ago following helpful advice on here BUT how do I get the door to open when it will not unlock? :confused:

(Wish I'd done the new lock as soon as it started playing up :cry:)

Thanks - Gordon

wa53lcw

May 8, 2015
Well, the local SEAT dealer said he could sort it all out for £350-400 (didn't say if that included VAT) but it might result in damage to the inner card which would mean extra cost.

Given that the lock costs £170 from SEAT, I think that's not too bad.

Gordon

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
Same happened to mine and the garage had to remove the door card from the inside to fix,cost me 250 but garage is a friend.I think if you put out a shout for recommended garages round your area you might get that price down a bit.

Last edited:

wa53lcw

May 8, 2015
Same happened to mine and the garage had to remove the door card from the inside to fix,cost me 250 but garage is a friend.I think if you put out a shout for recommended garages round your area you might get that price down a bit.

Thanks. I'll go along to my local and see what they can offer. Normally they do my MOT, service etc BUT the friend who owned it moved to France just before Xmas so it has new folk now.

Once the dealership talked about damage to the door card, it confirmed my suspicion that the top part can be levered off the bottom part although there may be damage to the (plastic?) fasteners which hold them together. I shall remove the NS card and examine it more carefully, to see where the joint is then consider prying the OS card off. With luck I might be able to repair any damage with glue/duct tape fastened on the inside BEFORE I put the card back together IF I decide to DIY-it. Of course, I would still have to work out how to operate the lock manually.:(

Ultimately, it has done 130k miles and the MOT expires in July. I'm half-hoping the Government is going to offer a £2000 scrapage scheme, in which case perhaps I'll do nothing and put the money saved towards a brand new car ;)

Thanks again - Gordon

Sorry: should have said I live in mid-Norfolk.

Last edited:

wa53lcw

May 8, 2015
Would you believe it? Today the door is opening and closing quite happily. I think I'll disconnect the lock until I have time to replace it.

Gordon