Springs/coilovers

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if lowering springs or coilovers from other cars in the vag group will fit a 2006 seat altea fr? ie: mk5 golf, bora , toledo, polo, leon etc... it's just I've saw a few for sale on a local site for other cars that are boxed and never fitted for half the price of a new set. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
Eddy, as you have helped me out a bit, it's only fair I return the favour!

I have been led to believe that the mk5 golf shocks n springs will fit.

Same goes for Audi A3 8p.

I will soon find out if I'm wrong as I have a pair of s3 8p front springs n shocks waiting for me in my garage! Have put the lowering on hold until I can get me engine mods sorted.

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016

I will soon find out if I'm wrong as I have a pair of s3 8p front springs n shocks waiting for me in my garage! Have put the lowering on hold until I can get me engine mods sorted.

Cheers mate, let me know how you get on with the springs when you get round to it.

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017

I've seen your pics of your lowered freetrack, was that done with the 8p springs and shocks as you'd hoped?

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
Eddy I did check n the mechanic confirmed they would fit, but I decided to take the cheaper route if just changing the springs. So I used Octavia vrs springs. After install I realised that the drop on the rear is approx 15mm lower than the front. Was slightly disappointed at first but to be honest helps me get over the speed bumps safer and quicker. In the future I may change the front springs to s3 or a3 s line if I want to get lower.

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016
Eddy I did check n the mechanic confirmed they would fit, but I decided to take the cheaper route if just changing the springs. So I used Octavia vrs springs. After install I realised that the drop on the rear is approx 15mm lower than the front. Was slightly disappointed at first but to be honest helps me get over the speed bumps safer and quicker. In the future I may change the front springs to s3 or a3 s line if I want to get lower.

Great cheers mate, I don't want to go to low as speed bumps are in nearly every street here and don't want to scrape the arse outta her lol so just a 20mm or 30mm drop will do me...

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
Octavia vrs are decent, not to hard. I will measure my ride height n let u know wat the drop is. Got my set of eBay used £60.

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016
Octavia vrs are decent, not to hard. I will measure my ride height n let u know wat the drop is. Got my set of eBay used £60.

That would be great bud... thanks.

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
Measured from ground, in line of the hub (centre of wheel) up to the bottom of the plastic arch. Rear 650mm front 665mm. I would have loved to have been 655mm all round, but that's life! I think the original tide height was 690/700mm. So an approx 40mm drop without the harshness of H&R springs. Hopefully this will help u out.

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Measured from ground, in line of the hub (centre of wheel) up to the bottom of the plastic arch. Rear 650mm front 665mm. I would have loved to have been 655mm all round, but that's life! I think the original tide height was 690/700mm. So an approx 40mm drop without the harshness of H&R springs. Hopefully this will help u out.

Good info, like the idea of not having the harshness of a aftermarket lowered sports spring(or the cost of a more expensive dual coil kit).

Going to do my homework on other VAG springs and check load ratings as mine's a diesel:whistle:, but those VRS one's look good. Might see whats about on ARB's too.

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016
Yeah 655mm all round would have been perfect... thanks alot bud think I'll go down this route and see how she feels.

eddyb99

Nov 24, 2016
I'm using an aftermarket whiteline arb off an s3 8p. Makes a huge difference on body roll

Mmm interesting... is it a straight swap?

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
Yep, the freetrack and s3 have a similar platform, hence a lot of parts are interchangeable. I've got front S3 brake set up ready and waiting, but I'm not sure if I want to use them or sell them, exhaust is also similar!

john a

Feb 27, 2017
I've got a set of Spax RSX coilovers that I took off my Octavia. Spax tell me they're different and shouldn't be fitted but, other than being a bit soft, they're fine.

Edit to say, I've also got the H&R 24mm RARB that I took off the Octavia fitted as well.

Last edited:

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
Yep, the freetrack and s3 have a similar platform, hence a lot of parts are interchangeable. I've got front S3 brake set up ready and waiting, but I'm not sure if I want to use them or sell them, exhaust is also similar!

Thanks for all the useful info mates. This is a mighty valuable info on the availability of a ARB for Freetrack!!

How is your Freetrack Bash29? I am considering lowering right now, but I am more into spory handling, so would prefer a stiffer ride (possibly Eibach Pro-Kit springs), but I would not want the lowering so much.. So I understand you swithched your stock Freetrack Springs (357mm/364mm Front/Rear) for Octavia vRS stock springs (296mm/329mm)? I am confused, that the rear of the car was lowered more than the front.. So far I chose a 296mm front and 315mm rear springs Eibach Pro-Kit (thicker wire (13,5mm) and more coils = stiffer ride) and I was hoping the lowering would be even, if anything, maybe that the front would drop more than the rear.. What do you think?

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
I've got a set of Spax RSX coilovers that I took off my Octavia. Spax tell me they're different and shouldn't be fitted but, other than being a bit soft, they're fine.

Edit to say, I've also got the H&R 24mm RARB that I took off the Octavia fitted as well.
John, do you also have a Freetrack? What Octavia were you fitting the RARB from? Was it H&R for vRS (2WD) or some 4WD Scout version? Thanks

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.