Sparkie's Mk1 LCR Black Edition

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Nice, glad you saw sense and taking it to a decent tuner instead of AmD. What power figures you hoping for?

High 200's they said for both torque and bhp. Obviously they didn't want to state a figure as it depends on state of engine etc along with the fact bills road is mean on figures some say.
I'd be really happy at around 275 for both but will have to see. Pretty sure he likes to keep the torque below 280 ish without doing forged rods. I think one can become hung up on figures on a page. . As long as it's Bill on the case I know it will lay down the power really well and that's what counts.
(Although of course there is a small part of me that would love to come out with blistering figures)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
High 200's they said for both torque and bhp. Obviously they didn't want to state a figure as it depends on state of engine etc along with the fact bills road is mean on figures some say.
I'd be really happy at around 275 for both but will have to see. Pretty sure he likes to keep the torque below 280 ish without doing forged rods. I think one can become hung up on figures on a page. . As long as it's Bill on the case I know it will lay down the power really well and that's what counts.
(Although of course there is a small part of me that would love to come out with blistering figures)

Cool, good stuff, i miss my old Mk1 LCR, that was 283bhp 317ftlb with R-Tech. I know R-Tech rollers are about the same bhp wise as B5, B5's rollers just read less torque than every where else. Be good to see your results pal!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Cool, good stuff, i miss my old Mk1 LCR, that was 283bhp 317ftlb with R-Tech. I know R-Tech rollers are about the same bhp wise as B5, B5's rollers just read less torque than every where else. Be good to see your results pal!

Yup, will be a huge improvement.
I'll post up some of the data and a vid or two that I'll take while there.
It's going to be crazy seeing it on the rollers for the first time.
My new exhaust sounds amazing in tunnels, wonder what it'll sound like on the rollers?

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
Yup, will be a huge improvement.
I'll post up some of the data and a vid or two that I'll take while there.
It's going to be crazy seeing it on the rollers for the first time.
My new exhaust sounds amazing in tunnels, wonder what it'll sound like on the rollers?

Yeah that would be good pal! Bet it will sound awesome!

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I have plenty pal. Inbox me if you want to know why
That's not how it works mate . I named and shamed a tuner on here as a guy had his tune on his car and a quick google search showed up so much about the DM and his tuning skill's. So I back it up with fact's and links to a few things.
Please Don't invite me to a pm convo when facts are facts and a companies reputation to the few hundred people who have seen this thread are at stake. I'm not interested in he said she said.
If anything is that bad over there at amd then IMO you should speak up in this thread and warn others like I think you are trying to do. Don't get me wrong though, I could care less about amd I'm interested in the info/experience you have with said company. What went wrong/how did they deal with the issue/what was the resolve

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Benmk2cupra

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
That's not how it works mate . I named and shamed a tuner on here as a guy had his tune on his car and a quick google search showed up so much about the DM and his tuning skill's. So I back it up with fact's and links to a few things.
Please Don't invite me to a pm convo when facts are facts and a companies reputation to the few hundred people who have seen this thread are at stake. I'm not interested in he said she said.
If anything is that bad over there at amd then IMO you should speak up in this thread and warn others like I think you are trying to do. Don't get me wrong though, I could care less about amd I'm interested in the info/experience you have with said company. What went wrong/how did they deal with the issue/what was the resolve

AmD dont custom map or cant map at all, they get all their files from a company called DNA tuning, they even admitted to supplying all AmD's maps.
Also if they cant get the right map for the car, they just stick on a Revo map even though the customer asked for a AmD map and they dont tell the customer, myself having that first hand experience. Then AmD got shitty because i let another tuner look at my car and they said "its not an AmD map its a Revo map". When AmD were questioned they got all shitty because they were caught out. Also done it to another one of my mates car, LCR with K04 hybrid. Said it was a so called AmD custom map, turned out to be a Revo stage 2 with all the settings maxed out basically dangerous for the engine. Now you see my point lol

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
That's some feedback mate. DNA active proposal to strike off and the fact of there location in Essex (postcode for dna registered office is ss8 0ja) is really interesting lol little trip down the a13 and you end up somewhere even more interesting.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
All good reasons not to enter that arena.
It was having a custom map that appealed to me since I went custom with the exhaust. Bill's mob seemed the obvious choice. There's peace of mind knowing he's tuning my car.

Turn Up The Boost

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
All good reasons not to enter that arena.
It was having a custom map that appealed to me since I went custom with the exhaust. Bill's mob seemed the obvious choice. There's peace of mind knowing he's tuning my car.

Turn Up The Boost
Obviously I think bill pays google to delete anything bad written about badger5 because I can't find anything apart from the badger5 garbage disposal issues and the tip people have issues with fitting .
R-tec is another self built honest trustworthy tuner too.
Jabba...read so much good and bad about them it seems to be hit and miss.

scotty1310

Feb 21, 2016
Kent
Obviously I think bill pays google to delete anything bad written about badger5 because I can't find anything apart from the badger5 garbage disposal issues and the tip people have issues with fitting .
R-tec is another self built honest trustworthy tuner too.
Jabba...read so much good and bad about them it seems to be hit and miss.

Bill @b5 and Niki @ R-Tech are two of the best in the business when it comes to the 1.8t and 2.0tfsi world. Imo Bill is best for 1.8t and Niki is the one for 2.0tfsi custom maps. I know Niki and Bill use to be close friends but fell out. Im not biased towards R-Tech, i would quite happily use Bill @B5 as i think his workmanship is second to none and knowledge is outstanding. I think youve made a great choice to get Bill to map your Cupra R and youll be happy with the outcome :)

LCR33

Aug 18, 2014
In a house
Bill @b5 and Niki @ R-Tech are two of the best in the business when it comes to the 1.8t and 2.0tfsi world. Imo Bill is best for 1.8t and Niki is the one for 2.0tfsi custom maps. I know Niki and Bill use to be close friends but fell out. Im not biased towards R-Tech, i would quite happily use Bill @B5 as i think his workmanship is second to none and knowledge is outstanding. I think youve made a great choice to get Bill to map your Cupra R and youll be happy with the outcome :)

2nd Bill@b5 I have been badly stung by a tuner in Manchester {Irlam} and Bill sorted me out and continues to do so. Plus I get cups of tea there which is a bonus. Lol.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
UPDATE
So 2 weeks ago I went to visit Bill and his guys at Badger5.
It was a great experience and Bill and the crew are a nice bunch of guys and the atmosphere in the garage is
relaxed and friendly.
I was there over 2 days.
Day 1 saw them fit a Toyo Sport FMIC
9f1efa3d0ae853110a8f066167564d4c.jpg

They even sprayed up the shiny stainless pipes for extra stealth.
While that was being done another Cupra R with essentially the same mods came in to be mapped.
A preview to what was to come for my car.
He had a couple of leaks he knew nothing about and a weak fuel pump. There was also a revo map which had been switched off by previous owner.
After fixing his problems his car pulled 224 horses standard and 260 after his session.
I was happy with those figures as a benchmark.
Bearing in mind my car had 40,000 less miles on it and was due to have a custom map done, I thought I may even see a little more.
Day 2 and onto the rollers.
Standard it pulled 214. Not happy.
Bill started with the same flash as the guy the day before and the car pulled around 240. Again Not happy.
Problem was the turbo. ( yup, the newly recon version that I had put in ) problem was it would not hold boost at top revs.
They gave the actuator a turn or two to try and fix the problem but it wasn't holding on properly.
Bill ended up putting a custom stage 2 map on the car to extract the best he could from bad equipment. He did an amazing job. Car now running at 250 Bhp.
It's a great drive and there's lots of power but I'm pretty pissed about the turbo and this is obviously going to have to be put right before I can move forward.
I haven't discussed it with the supplier yet as I'm a little hot headed and can be quite fiery so I've been working up to it so I know what I'm going to say and say it pleasantly. I will be calling them on Monday.
I took lots of video which needs sorting out but here's a quick one of the car on the rollers.
Nope. Don’t seem to be able to post video on tappy crappy talk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Ginger Si

Jan 31, 2017
Bury
Hi sorry to bother you but I've just bought the same Led headlight bulbs you mentioned in this thread and was wondering how you fitted them, do the fans or fitting disc/metal cowl come off ?? Sorry I would have pm'd you but I'm not sure how to do it lol..

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
Yes the fitting disc comes off. Usually needs a cloth to grab it tight and wiggle free.
You then fit that first followed by the light itself.
Hope that’s clear. If not drop me another note.

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
UPDATE
So 2 weeks ago I went to visit Bill and his guys at Badger5.
It was a great experience and Bill and the crew are a nice bunch of guys and the atmosphere in the garage is
relaxed and friendly.
I was there over 2 days.
Day 1 saw them fit a Toyo Sport FMIC
9f1efa3d0ae853110a8f066167564d4c.jpg

They even sprayed up the shiny stainless pipes for extra stealth.
While that was being done another Cupra R with essentially the same mods came in to be mapped.
A preview to what was to come for my car.
He had a couple of leaks he knew nothing about and a weak fuel pump. There was also a revo map which had been switched off by previous owner.
After fixing his problems his car pulled 224 horses standard and 260 after his session.
I was happy with those figures as a benchmark.
Bearing in mind my car had 40,000 less miles on it and was due to have a custom map done, I thought I may even see a little more.
Day 2 and onto the rollers.
Standard it pulled 214. Not happy.
Bill started with the same flash as the guy the day before and the car pulled around 240. Again Not happy.
Problem was the turbo. ( yup, the newly recon version that I had put in ) problem was it would not hold boost at top revs.
They gave the actuator a turn or two to try and fix the problem but it wasn't holding on properly.
Bill ended up putting a custom stage 2 map on the car to extract the best he could from bad equipment. He did an amazing job. Car now running at 250 Bhp.
It's a great drive and there's lots of power but I'm pretty pissed about the turbo and this is obviously going to have to be put right before I can move forward.
I haven't discussed it with the supplier yet as I'm a little hot headed and can be quite fiery so I've been working up to it so I know what I'm going to say and say it pleasantly. I will be calling them on Monday.
I took lots of video which needs sorting out but here's a quick one of the car on the rollers.
Nope. Don’t seem to be able to post video on tappy crappy talk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Did you sort it out with them?

Ginger Si

Jan 31, 2017
Bury
Hi
Yes the fitting disc comes off. Usually needs a cloth to grab it tight and wiggle free.
You then fit that first followed by the light itself.
Hope that’s clear. If not drop me another note.

Awesome, cheers for that mate I appreciate it.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Did you sort it out with them?

In the process. I have used my mechanic buddy to make contact with the supplier. He’s been sick. But is onto them this week to see what they want to do.
Either way it will get changed over. Even if I have to purchase a new one.
Probably through Owen Developments who are race proven.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Update.
Seems the suppliers are pretty crap.
Trying to tell me the waste gate / actuator is only good for certain amount of boost etc etc bla bla bla.
What a crock of sh..
It doesn’t even hold Boost in standard trim.
Totally pissed about it.
My mechanic is sound though. Said he’d remove the turbo for nothing when we decide what to do.
Pretty pissed off.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members