Low compression in third cylinder and I've been told I need a new engine !?!?

Alessi

Nov 4, 2016
Germany
Hello all,

I have a 2006 seat Ibiza 3 door hatch with a 1.2 12V 3 cylinder engine. Although I have had some issues with the car and the performance has not been amazing, it has done okay. Since buying it, I have done about 8000 KM in it (5k miles), and apparently it is now "dead" because the third cylinder has low compression. The mechanic said that the compression is at a "2" level when it should be 8 or 9. The car has only done 55,000 miles in total. They are still unable to find the cause but they say that fixing it will be more expensive than buying a new engine.

The car itself is in excellent condition, electrical, body, chassis and everything else apart from the engine are in great condition.

has anyone else experienced this and if so, what are your thoughts? Can you give me any advice?

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Perhaps a reply too late but my first action would be to get a second opinion.

How can they say that fixing it will be more expensive when they don't know what the problem is.

It might just be a head gasket leak. At 55000 the car would have to be very poorly looked after for problems with piston rings and linings.

Thompr3

Dec 21, 2017
Did you find out what this was ?

I have the exact same problem with my cupra. The garage said a new engine or to trade it in. It sounds like they can’t be bothered to do the work, they didn’t even give me the compression test results or what cylinder it was related to. I am getting the compression test re done soon. My car also has 50k miles on it.

I know it’s going to cost a bit to find out.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Get yourself off to that well known auction site or that Jungle retailer and search for compression tester.

You can pick one up for as little as £10 plus a few pennies.

Dead simple to use and confirm for yourself the problem.

Thompr3

Dec 21, 2017
The garage done the tests for free. The Piston rings have gone so I’ve traded it in, I don’t want to spend the time and money trying to fix it as it still may not work. I’ve only had it a year and a few months which is a shame. I’ve now bought a VW golf, same engine manufacturer but hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.