Ran out of diesel and car won't start.

Fiz4Five

Dec 9, 2017
Hello all. So today my car ran out of fuel (I know) and after putting in 5 quids worth from a jerry can, the car still refuses to start. It's the seat altea reference sport 1.9 diesel model. I tried cranking it 5 times maybe, each time for 4 seconds or so, while pumping the gas but no luck.
I'm aware that with some cars diesel has to manually be pumped into the lines, usually using the small rubber pump. I can't find this in my car and I'm thinking maybe it doesn't have one. Is anyone able to tell me how I can get it running again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Not familar with the layout of the Altea but if you can access the fuel filter you could pour some fuel into after taking off the hoses junction.

This is the process when priming it so you may have to redo it several times for enough to be pulled through to start the car, it may be short-lived when it hits the air pocket but short of having a vacuum pump to pull fuel through it is worth a shot.

Keep cranking it and eventually it should do it.

Last edited:

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Not familar with the layout of the Altea but if you can access the fuel filter you could pour some fuel into after taking off the hoses junction.

This is the process when priming it so you may have to redo it several times for enough to be pulled through to start the car, it may be short-lived when it hits the air pocket but short of having a vacuum pump to pull fuel through it is worth a shot.

Keep cranking it and eventually it should do it.
This is going to sound strange but my altea wouldn't start the other week and suspected it was a fueling problem, had a mobile guy out and he removed the air intake pipe from the manifold from the air box, sprayed lynx deodorant into the inlet while cranking it and after about 5 turns it fired into life

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise