Buy used or new through a broker

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
its never your car unless you pay full cash for it as most people take out a loan or PCP. so the bank or the finance company owns it.

any car is money down the drain and each to their own. I would rather lease it, you get warranty and everything else and just hand it back. move onto the new one or sth else. once you are beyond 3 years you are into extended warranty and more cost and issues as time goes on. cars are throw away these days and they are not built to last.

for me on the Cupra 290 black it was a no brainer. £1500 down, £156 per month for 2 years and 10k miles. car tax included. . so that's £5200 over 2 years (£216 per month all in) stupid cheap for the car and its performance. there was no dealer offering me £216 per month all in for 10k miles a year. its was more like £300 per month.

mate of mine has an £80k range rover which I told him not to buy or even consider as they are a nightmare. after 6 months its been a mare and its a lemon. Land rover might be buying it back. he has had several loan cars but its still loads of your $$ gone which would be better spent else where.

the thought of spending £25k on a seat is truly frightening. and you drive it down the road and you see the £50 pound notes left on the road.

returning a car to standard at lease end is no bother at all. in my case its jack up the front, take off the front low lip spoiler, unbolt the uprated engine mount , unplug the DTUK box and take off the side skirts. hour tops. job done. no company looks under the car as they will drive it straight to the auctions and once signed off then its next owners problem.

What car did you go for? What spec? How much did you lease cost you over three years? What happens if you actually enjoy the car and would like to keep it?

I’m the same boat as the OP what was wanted per month for lease was more than it was to get a loan due to the added extras. Plus the mileage I do pushed to lease up. Based on resale values I’m set to lose £10000 over three years. But I get the car I want for a price I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big poppa John

Jan 8, 2018
Staffordshire
I will be paying for the car in full with cash so will own it. The loan is with the bank and has nothing to do with ownership.
For me there's no better feeling than knowing the car is mine and I don't have to worry about giving it back.
I completely get the points you make but it really does depend on the individuals circumstances.

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Ref Broker4cars - do they introduce you to a dealer or do you deal with them entirely (pay all monies to them?). How much was the broker fee? Were there any hidden fees?
I've looked at the reviews and they are mixed however the good ones far outweigh the bad but this seems to be the case with all the brokers.
Did you guys pay the deposit with a credit card and the balance via bank transfer?
Any hints or tips appreciated.

Dealt solely with Broker4cars although it was Jennings who were the supplying dealer at the time. Deposit was paid by credit card with balance of deposit to the finance company by banks transfer.

I think the broker fee was around £300 on top of the price of the car, that was back in 2014 so may have changed since then.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
What car did you go for? What spec? How much did you lease cost you over three years? What happens if you actually enjoy the car and would like to keep it?

I’m the same boat as the OP what was wanted per month for lease was more than it was to get a loan due to the added extras. Plus the mileage I do pushed to lease up. Based on resale values I’m set to lose £10000 over three years. But I get the car I want for a price I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for Cupra 290 black standard spec as was well specced with buckets, LEDs etc. does the job just fine and it gets its neck wringed every day. so far so good.

I knew it would not be a keeper as car tech changes so fast now as do the facelift models. plus new colours and shapes are out all the time. the mystery blue is nice and I might go for an estate next time round or even a Golf R. depends on the lease deal at the time.

I love my old 911s and BMWs too much and that is where my ££ goes.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
And Leasing isnt throwing it down the drain? Both methods lose you money.But horses for courses.
I agree

I understand leasing is a cheaper way to get into a brand new car and if you like swapping your cars every 3 years. If you don't mind a basic Cupra then it makes complete sense. Adding options to a lease is silly as you pay full VAT on these.
I disagree

On Cupra 300 this time around the basic deposit was £249 to lease.
Adding extras brought my deposit to around 2k.

That's 4k per year over my lease period.

The £280 I'm returning was 2.5k basic deposit for the standard and £250 per which is obviously a little more over the 24 months.

Due to low mileage I was able to reduce my monthly payments by just under £100.

With an additional 6 month delay with regards to getting my 300. It will have cost approx 9k for the 280 at 30 months Inc tax (no MOTs either)

The car was worth £29995 on the road.

It was accident repaired last year (non fault) at the time the average value was 17k after x2 years so the depreciation was quite high. To be honest now I wouldn't want to own it, although you wouldn't be able to tell it's been repaired.
SEAT ensurance made sure of that and gave me an S3 for two months whilst it was being repaired.

With all the times I've taken it to the dealership under warranty it has been a no brainier.

The 300 is much higher spec'd with options and is also going to come in cheaper than my original 280 deal when I signed up.

Obviously mileage, what you can afford to pay and the choice of car played a big factor for me, but this time it's worked out well.

Also anything you do to the car will need to be returned back to standard when the lease is up. It never feels like its my car, so i don't bother to put in the effort to look after it, much like a rented house. You cant tell me your going to landscape and paint a house even though its not yours?

I agree which is one of the reasons I added options to compensate. Then you get something new after 24 months with hopefully a better standard spec.

Ive ran all the excel spreadsheets in the world to work out the most cost effective way for what suits ME and outright is the way. As long as you can get a discount that is close to or more than 20% of the cars OTR Price then your laughing, as soon as you drive the car off the forecourt its just lost 20% of its value in VAT.

Like you said horses for courses.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Ref Broker4cars - do they introduce you to a dealer or do you deal with them entirely (pay all monies to them?). How much was the broker fee? Were there any hidden fees?
I've looked at the reviews and they are mixed however the good ones far outweigh the bad but this seems to be the case with all the brokers.
Did you guys pay the deposit with a credit card and the balance via bank transfer?
Any hints or tips appreciated.

You have no dealings with the dealer, always direct with the Broker in this case, I mentioned previously that the Broker fee is £185 and that includes delivery to your door, no hidden fees.

But as I previously said, I can only speak for SEAT, Nissan and Citroen, they have different deals no doubt with different dealers dependant on Marque, if you looked through their prices you would see BIG discounts against SEAT, Ford and Vauxhall, very little against some others so a £185 broker fee for SEAT may well be a £150 fee against a Ford, it depends on the arrangement they have with each supplying dealer and how much work they have to do in the process.

So each time I have used them at the point of order I immediately get a copy of the order form in advance to confirm that everything I want is there in terms of model, options etc, they then order, I get confirmation of order placed and a copy, at that point I pay deposit to Broker, got a same day receipt back, everything is transparent but as I said, may differ slightly from marque to marque.

We can only speak from personal experience and mine is pretty good, yours may be awful, as for reviews, I often look at trip Adviser for hotels...... say no more!

Last edited:

karrenstanly

Jan 15, 2018
If you're looking for used cars you should be going through various used car website before making any purchase.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.